Introduction of the 2016 Lexus GS

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Introduction of the 2016 Lexus GS

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Introduction of the 2016 Lexus GS

I know... I know... I'm the only one here who likes the whole spindle grille thing. Well - me and some guy named Gyorgy in Hungary. I've liked it from the start but I think they've come a long way with the design is a short amount of time. I really like the way this GS looks. I think the turbo 2.0T is WEAK AS F$&# but I do believe it's needed. The V8 that'll be available in the GS-F is ALSO weak in my humble opinion - at least when it's compared to the competition. But I don't think Lexus is interested in competing head to head with M, V or AMG. I'm going to guess they're simply looking to give their customers who need more power something cool, fun, comfortable and reliable. I suppose that's okay. No big deal. I'd like to see something from Lexus compete with the E63 but I suppose that's just not in the cards. Anyway - without further ado...

The Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance, the premier concours event in the United States, is an appropriate setting for the 2016 Lexus GS models to be introduced. The GS enters 2016 with a bolder design, a new GS 200t rear-wheel drive model and new luxury finishes that match the refinement of Monterey. The Lexus GS continues to feature impressive agility and sporty handling for turns along California Highway 1, as well as comfortable ride quality for extended highway driving. This is no modest mid-size luxury sedan. The engaging performance and amenities make the GS 200t, the GS 350 or GS 450h an excellent choice for delighting enthusiast drivers as well as luxury connoisseurs.

The Lexus GS epitomizes the intersection of style and refinement with a strong rendition of the Lexus signature spindle grille for 2016, framed by elegant satin chrome trim and flanked by distinctive new standard Bi-LED headlights. The nighttime glow is unmistakably the look of Lexus.

A new front bumper and rocker panel design further sharpen the coupe-inspired profile, with the makeover extending to revised taillights, revised rear trim and new 18- and 19-inch machine-finish wheel designs. Bold design deserves bold color, and so the 2016 GS offers new Matador Red Mica, Nightfall Mica and Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 among other choices. The mica colors use an extraordinarily complex multi-layered, twice-baked process previously used only for concept vehicles or custom cars. Continue reading...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Introduction of the 2016 Lexus GS

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Crap. I didn't think to look in the "suggested articles" area.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

The design has only looked sort of right on GS which i think it was originally designed for. Everything else doesnt look cohesive at all.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltss_King View Post
    The design has only looked sort of right on GS which i think it was originally designed for. Everything else doesnt look cohesive at all.
    I always thought it "fit" best on the bigger LS...

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I hated the Spindle on the IS and GS, but have grown to love it as it has evolved on newer products.

I really like it on the RC:

Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Back!
    Thanks

I still think Lexus is a company that lost its way when it started chasing BMW. They certainly won't find it in the land of the spindle grille IMO.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
    I still think Lexus is a company that lost its way when it started chasing BMW. They certainly won't find it in the land of the spindle grille IMO.
    They're not chasing BMW as much as Cadillac is.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    They're not chasing BMW as much as Cadillac is.
    From a driving dynamics standpoint, its seems like ze americans have won.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    From a driving dynamics standpoint, its seems like ze americans have won.
    If you're meaning by being more like BMW you're correct. But I think Lexus wants to be different. They could have easily made the GS-F more powerful but they didn't. They're obviously not looking to steal sales from the M5 the way Cadillac is - and probably will. The CTS-V is a pretty awesome car. Lexus could have had some of that but they went a different direction...

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    If you're meaning by being more like BMW you're correct. But I think Lexus wants to be different. They could have easily made the GS-F more powerful but they didn't. They're obviously not looking to steal sales from the M5 the way Cadillac is - and probably will. The CTS-V is a pretty awesome car. Lexus could have had some of that but they went a different direction...
    It seems that there main focus has been on SUVs and not on developing there RWD platforms. Hence them going after BMW for development help.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks

Surprisingly, Lexus sales over all are up!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information