Infiniti Looks at Platform-Sharing GT Coupe and Flagship Luxury Sedan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Infiniti Looks at Platform-Sharing GT Coupe and Flagship Luxury Sedan

Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 605 Posts

Infiniti Looks at Platform-Sharing GT Coupe and Flagship Luxury Sedan

Infiniti Looks at Platform-Sharing GT Coupe and Flagship Luxury Sedan, Emerg-E Nixed
    Carnddriver.com
    Justin Berkowitz
    April 30, 2013
    Perhaps the best news to come out of Infiniti’s Grand Product Renaming of 2012 was that there will, at some point, be a true sucessor to the Q45. Following the original Q45—and unlike the current M37/Q70, we’d contend—Infiniti will try to position the new flagship sedan as an unorthodox entry to the luxury market. Johan de Nysschen, Infiniti’s new president, told us recently in more detail what to expect.

Above Q70 you need a car that competes with 7-series, S-class, and Audi A8. That’s conventional thinking. There’s enough action going on in that segment. I don’t think the world needs another car like that. But I do think the world needs an upscale, very emotional, high-performance luxury sedan from Infiniti that might be a different concept.

How this translates to a vehicle, though, is a challenge: Every luxury automaker pitches their products as emotional and high-tech. Other Infiniti and Nissan execs say that a variety of ideas are under consideration for the flagship. A swoopy fastback, akin to the Mercedes-Benz CLS and the Audi A7, seems to be a good possibility, but there also are some “really wild” shapes getting attention. But wild may not be enough. Infiniti’s Q70 already does look quite different from the German establishment, albeit in a bulbous way, but it still remains nearly anonymous. This difficulty isn’t constrained to Infiniti, of course; even with distinctive, dramatic styling, the Jaguar XJ hasn’t been able to propel that brand into the luxury mainstream. Speaking of propulsion, you may recall Mr. de Nysschen saying last fall that future Infinitis weren’t being planned to incorporate V-8 engines. Unless there’s been a change to powertrain strategy, it looks like the Infiniti flagship will draw, at most, on a turbocharged V-6.

Even still, for de Nysschen, the man who steered Audi on its course to prominence in the U.S., having two proper range toppers is a requirement. “We need these cars as technological and emotional flagships. They can raise the center of gravity for the brand.” That’s a great deal of pressure on two cars—almost as much, say, as a new luxury brand trying to challenge the BMW 5-series back in 1989.

For more follow the link

So no Omega competitor (and s class and bmw 7) but something else?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Re: Infiniti Looks at Platform-Sharing GT Coupe and Flagship Luxury Sedan

As someone who has owned two Q45s, this piques my interest.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

GTR based sedans sounds cool.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

As long as they keep sport oriented and affordability at the top of the list infiniti can survive
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Apparently Panameras aren't included in the mix?

What Infinti seems to be suggesting is not a competitor to the S/A8/7/XJ, but a competitor to the Quattroporte/CLS/A7/Panamera.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Apparently Panameras aren't included in the mix?

What Infinti seems to be suggesting is not a competitor to the S/A8/7/XJ, but a competitor to the Quattroporte/CLS/A7/Panamera.
    It will be interesting to see what direction will future Cadillac flagship take (not the truck but the sedan). Will they really try to compete against top of the line S class, BMW 7, XJ or will they try to ofer something like affordable luxurie..or something like that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by asrapid1 View Post
    It will be interesting to see what direction will future Cadillac flagship take (not the truck but the sedan). Will they really try to compete against top of the line S class, BMW 7, XJ or will they try to ofer something like affordable luxurie..or something like that.
    First thing's first. Let's make sure Omega is 100% green lighted for production.
    Reports have always pointed to Omega benchmarking the A8.

So my guess would be high tech luxury priced starting at $70,000 or so.

I don't think Cadillac is aiming for "affordable luxury," as Buick seems to be occupying that space. I think GM's aiming for a "If you want a Cadillac, better be prepared to pay for it" strategy. And I agree with it.

Thanks

Reports have always pointed to Omega benchmarking the A8.

So my guess would be high tech luxury priced starting at $70,000 or so.

I don't think Cadillac is aiming for "affordable luxury," as Buick seems to be occupying that space. I think GM's aiming for a "If you want a Cadillac, better be prepared to pay for it" strategy. And I agree with it.
    I agree with that strategy too..but does Cadillac have that image,will,perseverance, to pull something like that? It seems Infinity doesn't want to go against S class, 7 series or Audi A8 (maybe it is some part of deal between Renault/Nissan and Daimler Ag...who knows). Even Jaguar with their XJ is having a hard time against S class and other two from German trio.
    Also question is will Cadillac aim only at lower and middle models of A8 (and the other two) or will they also go against top models.
    Any new manufacturer that tries to succeed in that class will have lots to prove to potential buyers.
    Infiniti here is almost nonexistent..i don't know what image does it have in U.S.A...is it considered to be competition to german trio or?
    Last edited by asrapid1; 05-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I agree with that strategy too..but does Cadillac have that image,will,perseverance, to pull something like that? It seems Infinity doesn't want to go against S class, 7 series or Audi A8 (maybe it is some part of deal between Renault/Nissan and Daimler Ag...who knows). Even Jaguar with their XJ is having a hard time against S class and other two from German trio.
    Also question is will Cadillac aim only at lower and middle models of A8 (and the other two) or will they also go against top models.
    Any new manufacturer that tries to succeed in that class will have lots to prove to potential buyers.
    Infiniti here is almost nonexistent..i don't know what image does it have in U.S.A...is it considered to be competition to german trio or?
    Well, you gotta start somewhere. And destroying pianos and clocks aren't the way to raise a luxury image profile either.

Yeah, XJ is having a hard time in the segment, but Jaguar is still a small brand, it's working its way on cleaning up its own image. It'll be fine. They've got the right product out on the market. ANd they've got a good strategy. Can't say I'm a fan of their commercials though.

Cadillac Omega should come out with at least 5 models: V6, V6TT, V8SC or TT, Hybrid, Diesel.

Infiniti is considered competition for the Germans; however, it is a tangential competition. It's sporty and luxurious. But it lacks a certain premium character and quality. It's never really hit its stride here in the US, particularly as it's always compared to Lexus.

Thanks

Well, you gotta start somewhere. And destroying pianos and clocks aren't the way to raise a luxury image profile either.

Yeah, XJ is having a hard time in the segment, but Jaguar is still a small brand, it's working its way on cleaning up its own image. It'll be fine. They've got the right product out on the market. ANd they've got a good strategy. Can't say I'm a fan of their commercials though.

Cadillac Omega should come out with at least 5 models: V6, V6TT, V8SC or TT, Hybrid, Diesel.

Infiniti is considered competition for the Germans; however, it is a tangential competition. It's sporty and luxurious. But it lacks a certain premium character and quality. It's never really hit its stride here in the US, particularly as it's always compared to Lexus.
    Well Cadillac will have v6, V6 TT available ..now V8 will probably come in form of Gen V v8 (and some sort of forced induction) ,but i doubt GM will develop any new V8. Now diesel is a little bit sketchy.Does GM have any bigger diesel in their offerings?
    I've seen couple of Infiniti here but they were all SUV (i think FX or something like that). Also does Infiniti offer competitive powertrain to what germans offer? Are their V6 better or worse than the one from competition?

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Well Cadillac will have v6, V6 TT available ..now V8 will probably come in form of Gen V v8 (and some sort of forced induction) ,but i doubt GM will develop any new V8. Now diesel is a little bit sketchy.Does GM have any bigger diesel in their offerings?
    I've seen couple of Infiniti here but they were all SUV (i think FX or something like that). Also does Infiniti offer competitive powertrain to what germans offer? Are their V6 better or worse than the one from competition?
    Ive never seen a Cadillac in Europe; however, I have seen a few Infinitis.
    I hate the idea of an OHV V8 in a Cadillac. I really do, if only for the perception aspect of it, and because GM can't spin and market worth a damn.

Infinit has very competitive powertrains and in some respects equal or better to present powerplants in Cadillacs. If we are to believe what the head of Infiniti has said about future engines, expect better mpg and power output from their high end V6's -- more than CTS-VSport's V6TT. Power will be closer to AMG V8's.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Unfortunately for Infiniti their presence in this class has been nonexistent for so long , and in many ways the competition already has made them in some ways nigh on irrelevant.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Ive never seen a Cadillac in Europe; however, I have seen a few Infinitis.
    I hate the idea of an OHV V8 in a Cadillac. I really do, if only for the perception aspect of it, and because GM can't spin and market worth a damn.

Infinit has very competitive powertrains and in some respects equal or better to present powerplants in Cadillacs. If we are to believe what the head of Infiniti has said about future engines, expect better mpg and power output from their high end V6's -- more than CTS-VSport's V6TT. Power will be closer to AMG V8's.
    I have seen (and actually been driven in some) Cadillac here..CTS (gen I, gen II), seville (have seen couple of them) ..even STS..but i have seen maybe one or two Infiniti that weren't SUV ( and there is a dealership in my country for Infiniti).
    Yes OHV v8 could be a bit hard to swallow for customers here (image)..but who knows what will Cadillac offer. Looking little bit at Infiniti... their V8 isn't anything special...at least not compared to germans V8...
    But it seems they will go with V6 TT as their top engine (the one from GTR,a VR38DTT, can achieve 550 hp+)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

At this point the sales of the M37/56 sedan illuminate us to the expected success of a car a class above. Sadly Infiniti has lost their way, and until they get their nomenclature as well as core models back on track a flagship sedan would be an exercise in futility.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

It is about time that they went large again.

I miss the first two generations of large infiniti sedans.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information