Impala Edges Past Accord's Upscale Look

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impala Edges Past Accord's Upscale Look

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,309 Times in 4,036 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Impala Edges Past Accord's Upscale Look

My biggest suprise at first impression was the Impala's look. Its styling is inoffensive clean to the point of being upscale even un-American. unlike Ford with its bland, slow-selling Five Hundred, but unlike Chrysler with its distinctive, cooling 300, Chevy decided to take no risks with the Impala's design. It won't offend, but it will get nods in surbarbia...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 09-25-2005 at 02:56 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: Impala Edges Past Accord's Upscale Look

Unfortunately I'm not so sure more family sedan purchasers would agree, mbukukanyau.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

There is one Impala I saw that I did like, and it was not the SS. I beleive the model just under it, the LTZ?

It was in Silver, had the chrome stripe running across the back of the trunk, and it had the 17 inch wheels (not the 18's on the SS).

I personally think that model is the 'sweet spot' with the Impala. All that with a 240hp engine for mid $20,000 range.

Now only if the transmission was upgraded to go along with this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

This doesn't make sense. You say the Impala's clean design won't offend but it will be accepted in suburbia (aka inoffensive design), yet the Five Hundred is bland? To me, inoffensive and bland are so close to overlapping that they could be considered the same thing.

To me, the Impala's design is nothing special compared to the Accord or Five Hundred; you could take off the badges off of each vehicle and the average person couldn't tell which car was which.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jro4566
    This doesn't make sense. You say the Impala's clean design won't offend but it will be accepted in suburbia (aka inoffensive design), yet the Five Hundred is bland? To me, inoffensive and bland are so close to overlapping that they could be considered the same thing.

To me, the Impala's design is nothing special compared to the Accord or Five Hundred; you could take off the badges off of each vehicle and the average person couldn't tell which car was which.
    You are right, but I think the Impala pulls off the "inoffensive" design better than either the Accord or Five Hundred. I know for sure that the Impala will sell to import intenders/owners if they get a good look at it.

How do I know this?

I convinced my friend at work to check one out after he had his eyes on the Maxima, Altima and Accord. He went with his wife and they picked up a new dark silver 3.9L LT3 this past Wednesday. One convert down, many to go, but at least the ball is rolling.
    Hidden Content
    2012 Chevrolet Cruze - 14,350 miles
    2008 Kia Rondo - 41,000 miles
    2004 Pontiac GTO - 71,864 miles (gone, but not forgotten)
    Hidden Content

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually think the Five-Hundred is better looking than both, certainly better looking than the horrible front-end on the Accord that in no way looks "upscale" to me, unless something like a Mitsubishi Galant looks upscale, that is. Upscale is RL, not Accord, but the Impala certainly does look more upscale now than it did before. The Accord's harsh, pie wedge headlights just look too middle class commuter (trying to be a bit trendy) for me.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

In terms of looking upscale for the money, I think the 300 has them all beat. And the Five-Hundred (in Limited guise) is right up there too.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

The Accord seems to have the upscale features like the LED rear lamps.

I really don't see the Impala as upscale at all. Like others, the Five Hundred pulls that off very well.
    Hidden Content

The Recession may be over but the Greatest Depression has only just begun.

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430
    1988 Nissan 300ZX 5 spd
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 [Sold]
    1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan [Stolen]

Knowledge + Action = Power that builds an experience which forms wisdom

Thanks

I agree with Ming about the front of the Accord, but somehow I managed to get past that, since I almost bought an '04 Accord - until GM came to the rescue in the nick of time with a $4K Owner Loyalty rebate. I ended up with an even funkier front end, ahem.

I don't like the 300/Magnum/Charger trio, but they do have lots of upscale style.

Overall, I really like the '06 Accord's rear end, MUCH classier than the Impala's. I also think the 500 is more upscale looking than the Impala.

Maybe my problem is that I thought the '00-'05 Impala had style (not all good, but most of it was) and the '06, to me, looks brandless.

Thanks

I actually like the 2005 Accord's rear styling better ... this new rear makes the Accord look even more bland. It actually looks just as bland as an Impala now, and that isn't exactly a compliment. I actually like the Impala rear more now, it looks more clean and fits the car more.

With a new Altima and Camry coming, the Accord may totally drop off the radar, styling wise at least. Honda needs to redesign the Accord soon, IMHO.

Thanks

Impala!
    1959 Impala

1962 Impala

1966 Impala

1996 Impala

2006 Chevrolet Accord

Thanks

The Accord Had the taillight styling first. It has been on their coupe since the redesign in 2002.

Thanks

Originally, the Impala was just a special trim level in the Bel-Air series. Then it became its own line the following year. The SS debuted in about 1961 as a trim only option.

So, historically, Impala was usually top of the line, just not always the best-equipped in the engine compartment.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Yeah, the Five Hundred is not a bad looking car when it's done up in the Limited. It still seems a little upright to me...but it's ok. The biggest issue, at least to me, as a 27 year old male, is that it looks like a 55 year old should be driving it...whereas I can picture myself in a 300.

That probably makes no sense.

MF
    As a 23 year old male, that makes complete sense.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar dav305z's Avatar
    Thanks

Styling midsize sedans is very much like writing for journalism. In both cases, one must work within sharp constraints. For journalists, it's a limited amount of words and the strict rules of the Associated Press. For midsize sedan styling, it's the need to offend no one. The best journalists and sedans manage to express character in spite of these limits.

The sedans that come to mind as walking this line perfectly are the original Taurus, the 97-03 Grand Prix (*cough*my car*cough), and the latest Altima. The 300C is of course a success, but it plays by a different set of rules, and also has yet to meet the sales of the above listed vehicles.

I haven't seen the newest Impala in person, but from pictures, the results seem mixed. They've succeeded in making it look more upscale, but it is far too generic. It might not be more generic than the Accord or Camry but then, it doesn't have the reputation for quality that precedes its Asian rivals.

One advantage GM has that they are not fully taking advantage of is their multiple brands. I think the Impala's blandness should allow Pontiac and Buick to really go all out with their sedans in effort to grab people in search of niche styling. The new Grand Prix tries to accomplish this, but mostly ends up being ugly. The LaCrosse is even more dissapointing. Why does GM need two ambiguous looking sedans in the same segment?
    Hidden Content
    "The movement you need is on your shoulders" - Paul McCartney

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information