GM Inside News Forum banner

I got a "New" car--a Lexus

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Jesda 
#1 ·
My first foreign car:

a '94 lexus LS400 Anniversary edition with 51,000 miles in immaculate condition. Pearl White, Gold package, premium nakamichi sound.

But it just isn't me; I don't feel right in it. I mean if there's nothing to fix on a car, it's boring!

'63 Buick Riviera- I've had it for 22 years, and put my love into it. One of the most beautiful, overlooked designs from Bill Mitchell.
'76 Buick Riviera---(the rare "Bobbed" Boat-tail model)-- it looks like it's showroom fresh. My favorite for comfortable crusing. Last to have an emasculated 455 v-8
'76 Cadillac Superior hearse-- I think hearses have sexy, long voluptuous lines. Call me weird, but I like it.

#3 ·
Now when you talk to friends about your car you have to use that Lexus announcer's pompous country club voice reminiscient of Mr. Howell on Gilligan's Island: "In my uh-Lex-uuuuuhhs," ;) Hope you like the car - at least you bought it used (so as not to feed the Toyota machine of world domination)! :D

#5 ·
63RivRules said:
My first foreign car:

a '94 lexus LS400 Anniversary edition with 51,000 miles in immaculate condition. Pearl White, Gold package, premium nakamichi sound.

But it just isn't me; I don't feel right in it. I mean if there's nothing to fix on a car, it's boring!

'63 Buick Riviera- I've had it for 22 years, and put my love into it. One of the most beautiful, overlooked designs from Bill Mitchell.
'76 Buick Riviera---(the rare "Bobbed" Boat-tail model)-- it looks like it's showroom fresh. My favorite for comfortable crusing. Last to have an emasculated 455 v-8
'76 Cadillac Superior hearse-- I think hearses have sexy, long voluptuous lines. Call me weird, but I like it.
I hear more and more of this every day - that is, pro-domestic people all of a sudden buying imports when a few years ago they never would have dreamed about doing such a thing. I'm in the same boat. I've grown up with Detroit and have supported Detroit as much and as long as I can, but I think my next car in a few years will be a Lexus IS coupe (if they make it). It would also be my first import as well, but I've been losing patience with Detroit for so long that I just throw my arms up in the air. The upcoming IS will have all that I am looking for except for a coupe version - and I hear that is coming. I really can't think of anything coming from Detroit like this car. The new Cadillac CTS might be the only thing, but who knows what that will look like in a few years. The Lexus is "out" now and it sounds like it is an incredible package.

#6 · (Edited)
I have no problem buying an Import, but I'd stay within the GM extended family (Suzuki, Subaru, Saab) first, and move to Ford Extended next (Mazda, Volvo). I just can't bring myself to buy from Toyota or Honda after the snobbery and derision towards American cars (and Industry) I experienced from workers at both companies I spoke with while I was in Japan. Warranted or not, it crossed the line into boastful swaggering and condescension with a smile.

And I always like an underdog like Suzuki or Subaru more, as a rule. :) Mitsubishi...ehhh, not so much.

That said, I'd never pass up a FREE car, of any make.

#7 ·
Ming said:
I have no problem buying an Import, but I'd stay within the GM extended family (Suzuki, Subaru, Saab) first, and move to Ford Extended next (Mazda, Volvo). I just can't bring myself to buy from Toyota or Honda after the snobbery and derision towards American cars (and Industry) I experienced from workers at both companies I spoke with while I was in Japan. Warranted or not, it crossed the line into boastful swaggering and condescension with a smile.

And I always like an underdog like Suzuki or Subaru more, as a rule. :) Mitsubishi...ehhh, not so much.

That said, I'd never pass up a FREE car, of any make.
dont forget there's also izuzu:)

#9 ·
AJR said:
I hear more and more of this every day - that is, pro-domestic people all of a sudden buying imports when a few years ago they never would have dreamed about doing such a thing. I'm in the same boat. I've grown up with Detroit and have supported Detroit as much and as long as I can, but I think my next car in a few years will be a Lexus IS coupe (if they make it). It would also be my first import as well, but I've been losing patience with Detroit for so long that I just throw my arms up in the air. The upcoming IS will have all that I am looking for except for a coupe version - and I hear that is coming. I really can't think of anything coming from Detroit like this car. The new Cadillac CTS might be the only thing, but who knows what that will look like in a few years. The Lexus is "out" now and it sounds like it is an incredible package.
Not to try to "sway" you from you decision, but there is no new (or old) IS coupe "out" right now. The new CTS Coupe is a year away and everyone from the press is blown away by it.

#10 ·
63RivRules said:
My first foreign car:

I think Vintalage (GMI Member) wants something like that as a second car, if you don't want it, sell it to him lol

#11 ·
AJR said:
I'm in the same boat. I've grown up with Detroit and have supported Detroit as much and as long as I can, but I think my next car in a few years will be a Lexus IS coupe (if they make it). It would also be my first import as well, but I've been losing patience with Detroit for so long that I just throw my arms up in the air. The upcoming IS will have all that I am looking for except for a coupe version - and I hear that is coming. I really can't think of anything coming from Detroit like this car. The new Cadillac CTS might be the only thing, but who knows what that will look like in a few years. The Lexus is "out" now and it sounds like it is an incredible package.
I'm in the same postition as you. I would have never thought that I would buy an import but if I was buying a car in the near future it would probably be the IS Coupe. I would have never though I would buy a Ford but my wife was due for a car and always drove F-bodies. Since GM quit making F-bodies she wanted to try a Mustang. I was against it but she talked me into it and it's been a great experience. Now that GM makes a rwd V8 again the Mustang has not moved much since getting a GTO.

I guess my point is that cars have gotten way too expensive to reward a manufacturer for not making what you want by buying their car just because they are your favorite brand even though it's not really what you want.

#13 ·
TaHoE said:
Not to try to "sway" you from you decision, but there is no new (or old) IS coupe "out" right now. The new CTS Coupe is a year away and everyone from the press is blown away by it.
Yes, there is no IS coupe today, but the IS that is coming out this month or next month has gotten my attention. I have read reviews about it and have seen pictures of them in different colors. So far I really like the interior, the equipment and features, and exterior styling. Based on what I've seen so far, a coupe version of the sedan would be fantastic. Things could change between now and then so it is still up in the air. However, I have seen enough of the IS to know that is a car that I am going to seriously look at in the next few years. The coupe/convertible would almost seal the deal.

On the other hand, the current CTS doesn't do much for me. I like the CTS V, but that is beyond my means. I have also heard the upcoming CTS is blowing everybody away and it has gotten my interest as well. I am very curious to see what Cadillac will do with it. I can picture a nice CTS with Sixteen-inspired style and a massively improved interior, but will be what Cadillac gives us? Right now, the new CTS is up in the air while the new IS is "here".

#17 ·
IAMCANADIAN said:
I think Vintalage (GMI Member) wants something like that as a second car, if you don't want it, sell it to him lol
Sounds good to me. A '94 with 51,000 miles at that? And with the Nak stereo system? Very nice. How does the sound system sound anyway? Does it have the air ride suspension? And how do you like all the features?

Here is a review that family car did of a used '94 Lexus LS400 that loaded with air ride and nak stereo.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Lexus1stGen/Lexus1stGen.htm

#18 ·
Vintalage said:
Sounds good to me. A '94 with 51,000 miles at that? And with the Nak stereo system? Very nice. How does the sound system sound anyway? Does it have the air ride suspension? And how do you like all the features?

Here is a review that family car did of a used '94 Lexus LS400 that loaded with air ride and nak stereo.

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/Lexus1stGen/Lexus1stGen.htm

if you wanted a new lexus, check out the new IS, that looks hot. I change what I said in another thread, I like the IS and GS, the ES is okay, but it's just a rebadged camry. I saw the IS in Motor Trend, it just looks beautiful, the interior is better than the previous gen but looks a little cheapish for a Lexus, but still good. The top engine, i think it's a 3.0L gets a 0-60 in 5.5 Seconds, that's faster than the BMW 330i but the BMW outhandles it. In fact, the IS doesn't seem like a true handling car at .83 g's, but that's still pretty good, around the same as many cars but it could be better.

#20 · (Edited)
My Celsior, New Member

I didn't know the early JDM Toyota Celsior (First gen Lexus LS) was available with Rear seat audio controls, rear seat adjustments, rear heated seats, rear auto climate control, TV, Navigation, and what appears to be seat massagers. It wasn't available in the US. And this is the 1989 - 1994 Toyota Celsior or JDM Lexus LS. This car was way ahead of it's time:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.