Hyundai Teases Prius Fighting IONIQ Compact

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Hyundai Teases Prius Fighting IONIQ Compact

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Hyundai Teases Prius Fighting IONIQ Compact

Hyundai is prepared to pull out all the stops with its upcoming IONIQ sedan. Will three engines, a unique moniker, and compact practicality be enough to stand out against the Toyota Prius?

http://autoinfoquest.com/2015/12/08/...in-its-sights/
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Hyundai Teases Prius Fighting IONIQ Compact

This would be hit or miss, I'd lean towards miss more than hit seeing the track record in this segment.

Contrary to popular belief hybrids aren't all that big in America, it's the Prius that people want.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    This would be hit or miss, I'd lean towards miss more than hit seeing the track record in this segment.

Contrary to popular belief hybrids aren't all that big in America, it's the Prius that people want.
    I think this presents Hyundai with a unique opportunity, actually. The problem with a lot of hybrids is not necessarily the hybrid aspect itself, but more the product and marketing behind it. Hybrids are not seen as what they could be: futuristic, tech-y, and efficient. Too many hybrids are awkward and pander too much to the environmentalism component. That's hardly a bad thing, but it's not the way to earn attention from a wider swath of consumers. Hyundai could make this hybrid/plug-in hybrid/EV "cool" if they make it sleek, well appointed, and market it as such along with the benefits of cleaner technology.

Mirroring the Prius probably won't work. The Prius works in part because it has its own image.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I think this presents Hyundai with a unique opportunity, actually. The problem with a lot of hybrids is not necessarily the hybrid aspect itself, but more the product and marketing behind it. Hybrids are not seen as what they could be: futuristic, tech-y, and efficient. Too many hybrids are awkward and pander too much to the environmentalism component. That's hardly a bad thing, but it's not the way to earn attention from a wider swath of consumers. Hyundai could make this hybrid/plug-in hybrid/EV "cool" if they make it sleek, well appointed, and market it as such along with the benefits of cleaner technology.

Mirroring the Prius probably won't work. The Prius works in part because it has its own image.
    No, others have tried this and failed.

People buying hybrids want you to know they bought a hybrid, the car has to be unusually styled.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    No, others have tried this and failed.

People buying hybrids want you to know they bought a hybrid, the car has to be unusually styled.
    I definitely did not say to make it look conventional. You're talking about something else, I think.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,035 Times in 3,399 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I see some first gen volt cues

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I definitely did not say to make it look conventional. You're talking about something else, I think.
    I tend to do that yes.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,402 Times in 1,845 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

It's a brave move - and coincides with the Opel/Vauxhall Ampera (rebadged Chevrolet Volt) finally being withdrawn in Europe - having sold just 939 across the whole of the EU in 2014 and 232 in 2015 - all 2012/2013 built cars - AFAIK there are no plans for Opel/Vauxhall to sell rebadged versions of the 2nd generation Chevrolet Volt

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    It's a brave move - and coincides with the Opel/Vauxhall Ampera (rebadged Chevrolet Volt) finally being withdrawn in Europe - having sold just 939 across the whole of the EU in 2014 and 232 in 2015 - all 2012/2013 built cars - AFAIK there are no plans for Opel/Vauxhall to sell rebadged versions of the 2nd generation Chevrolet Volt
    Bolt is definitely styled like current Generation Opels, with the floating roof.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information