Hyundai RWD Luxury Sedan News: Spied

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hyundai RWD Luxury Sedan News: Spied

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

Hyundai RWD Luxury Sedan News: Spied

Article from May 3 2005:

Hyundai? Luxury? Korean automaker to introduce upscale, rear-drive car in U.S. in 2007
    JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News
    Posted Date: 5/3/05

Hyundai Motor Co. will introduce a rear-wheel-drive luxury car in the United States in 2007 to test the waters for launching a luxury brand.

Pickups and sports cars are lower priorities for the Korean automaker, Hyundai's Korean executives said during the Seoul motor show here last week.

After launching the luxury car, "We will decide whether or not to launch a separate brand," said Kim Dong Jin, Hyundai's vice chairman and co-CEO.

He said Hyundai has a number of issues to settle. For example, the automaker may offer franchises in a new brand only to existing Hyundai dealers, or to dealers who currently do not sell Hyundais.

Kim says a luxury car is a "higher priority" for Hyundai than a pickup. A luxury car would "improve our brand image" in ways that a pickup would not, he says.

But U.S. executives have stressed repeatedly that they would prefer to get a large pickup before luxury vehicles. Hyundai Motor hopes to sell 1 million units annually in the United States in 2010. Hyundai and affiliate Kia sold a total of 688,670 units in the United States in 2004.

Hyundai sells no rear-drive car now.

A spate of upcoming vehicle redesigns should succeed in building up the Hyundai image, "then naturally, a customer wants a luxury car from Hyundai," said Brandon Yea, director of the marketing strategy team in the Hyundai and Kia corporate marketing division. "That's when we'll launch a luxury brand."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hyundai RWD Luxury Sedan News: Spied

As I read somewhere online within the last year, commenting on the rise of Hyundai, and the demise of GM "When better Buicks are built, Hyundai will build them."

It's sad that Hyundai can find a way to build a RWD luxury car, but Buick can't.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

That really is sad. Hey GM even Hyundai knows trucks aren't the biggest priority.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griswold44
    That really is sad. Hey GM even Hyundai knows trucks aren't the biggest priority.
    Is that why that article states that they see pickup trucks as more important than luxury cars?
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralViscen
    Is that why that article states that they see pickup trucks as more important than luxury cars?
    Hyundai Exectuves feel trucks and sports cars arn't as important as luxury cars, but American dealers believe the opposite

AMAZING!!!!! Hyundais really going for Toyota's throat, including Lexus possibly now! I can't believe this...a possible luxury division from a Korean company, H3LL has officially frozen over

Now theyre looking at RWD... Honda hasn't even touched that drivetrain in regular car vehicles. Looks like Hyundai is doing their homework.....can't wait for the next Tiburon.....I can see it now - RWD with the 3.8 265 hp at 23-25k loaded

I am really looking forward to Hyundai's development...RWD, Luxury, and Hybrids

Even Kias have gotten loads better.....

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Hyundai's been making RWD luxury cars for years...they just haven't sold them in North America.

Thanks

This is discusting (for lack of a better word) How can Hyundai find the money and the market for a RWD sedan and GM can't? What's the deal GM? Give us some RWD cars for Buick, Pontiac, and Chevy and do it now.

Thanks

Well guys, while I've been singing the praises of Hyundai lately, this might be going a tad too far, too fast. I'm concerned that the market may resist a $30,000 Hyundai this fall, the Azera and top-line Santa Fes. At least they're being smart by not barging ahead with a luxury channel before the car is introduced.

I'm sure this RWD vehicle would go in the $35-40K range. That could be pushing it too far.

Volkswagen, for an example, is having a tough time selling Phaetons, but also had trouble with the W-8 Passat because of price. It seems to be having trouble moving many $27K Jettas, and will likely have the same trouble moving $35-40K '06 Passats.

Hyundai's reputation is improving, but I don't think our market is ready for anything over $30K, yet.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by wpbharry
    Volkswagen, for an example, is having a tough time selling Phaetons, but also had trouble with the W-8 Passat because of price. It seems to be having trouble moving many $27K Jettas, and will likely have the same trouble moving $35-40K '06 Passats.

Hyundai's reputation is improving, but I don't think our market is ready for anything over $30K, yet.
    Well, the problem with VW is that they ask $27 for a Jetta. Hyundai has a different tactic... they ask small car prices for big cars, whereas VW asks big car prices for small cars. A 30k+ Hyundai would be as loaded as can be, I imagine... so while you might be right (such a car from Hyundai might be too much right now), I think they're smarter than VW.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wpbharry
    Well guys, while I've been singing the praises of Hyundai lately, this might be going a tad too far, too fast. I'm concerned that the market may resist a $30,000 Hyundai this fall, the Azera and top-line Santa Fes. At least they're being smart by not barging ahead with a luxury channel before the car is introduced.

I'm sure this RWD vehicle would go in the $35-40K range. That could be pushing it too far.

Another thing to consider is the fact that it's not going to be labeled a Hyundai....they are also consodering a whole Luxury division

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAerio
    Another thing to consider is the fact that it's not going to be labeled a Hyundai....they are also consodering a whole Luxury division
    So you are saying it will be labeled like how the Oldsmobile Aurora was? Without the brand name?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SonicAerio
    They're CONSIDERING it. They're also talking about introducing it as a Hyundai, which is more likely to happen.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought Hyundai already had V8's in Korea?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Don't they have a car called the Equus? Isn't that a RWD V8 luxury sedan?

If Hyundai comes out with a car like the Chrysler 300C, but with even more luxury features for about the same price, that could do some damage in the market...it'd be an Avalon fighter...laser cruise control, 8 airbags, DVD Nav, rear seat DVD, active suspension...who knows what they'll unleash.

And they have McDonald's everywhere, apparently. Geez. I wish I was around in 1955 and bought into them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61
    Don't they have a car called the Equus? Isn't that a RWD V8 luxury sedan?

If Hyundai comes out with a car like the Chrysler 300C, but with even more luxury features for about the same price, that could do some damage in the market...it'd be an Avalon fighter...laser cruise control, 8 airbags, DVD Nav, rear seat DVD, active suspension...who knows what they'll unleash.

And they have McDonald's everywhere, apparently. Geez. I wish I was around in 1955 and bought into them.
    Not an Avalon fighter as the Azera is supposed to handle that role. I'm thinking Lexus GS, Infiniti M, and Acura RL competitor.

I can barely see much but from what I can see, it already has me hooked. The profile is attractive.
    Last edited by Vintalage; 07-28-2005 at 10:13 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information