GM Inside News Forum banner

How far can you go in a Leaf?

916 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  solman98 
#1 · (Edited)
How far can you go in a Leaf?
Driving style and terrain have big effect on electric car's range

By Alan Boyle
Science editor
REDMOND, Wash. — "Your mileage may vary" ... That old phrase is even more relevant for the newfangled Nissan Leaf electric vehicle, which has an advertised range of 100 miles on a charge. In fact, the mileage depends quite a bit on your driving style, and the numbers can go up and down in the course of a drive.
Yes, it's possible to get 100 miles or more from the Leaf. But if you're the kind of guy who keeps the car on the road even if the needle is near the "E" mark, you might have to change your ways.

Turning on the heater and the fan ate into our electrical reserve, and by the time we returned to Redmond, we had an estimated 24 miles left in the batteries. A 47-mile trip took away 72 miles of my original estimated range. Good thing we didn't go all the way to Snoqualmie Pass (which would have been a 100-mile round trip).

Full MSNBC article is here.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, using electrical items in an electric car uses up power.... Who would of thunk it...:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I don't think that this surprises anyone, it's how fast it used up the power that was the unkown. One will easily be able to find himself stranded in a Leaf. You can plan all you want and calculate how much juice you SHOULD use, but this shows that it's not as easily predictable as Nissan would want us to think.

#8 ·
Common sense tells me those with range anxiety won't be buying this......:lmao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.