Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

Thanks

Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

Some of the following is from a comment I left in Mings "The Hype-rid Challenge: Value vs. Vogue" thread, but I decided to start my own when I did some more digging and got even more dirt on the Highlander Hybrid.

First I'll start out on the premium that you are paying for this car based SUV. You pay $7,000 (not including dealer markups mind you) straight up more then the conventional gasoline model. There are many standard features that are optional on the regular model but in my opinion all these optional features made standard are simply fluff to hide the fact that you are paying $4,500-$5,000 more, then a conventional motor, when the features are taken in to account.

And that is a $4,500 premium for what? I have a feeling most of its buyers are not performance enthusiasts trying to shave 2 seconds off the 0-60 for their vanilla styled Highlander. And it sure as heck isn't for fuel efficiency savings. Wait a second, its a Hybrid, thats the point...right? Read on...

The auto journalist in my local newspaper recently test drove the hybrid for a week. The EPA is 31 city/27 highway for the hybrid, while the EPA for the conventional motor is 18/24. Lo and behold the average gas mileage he got with 3/4 city driving and 1/4 freeway was 23.5 mpg. hmmm, thats a lower rating then the conventional motor, and with more city driving where the hybrid is supposed to excel.

What is that you say? It depends on his driving style? Then surely others have at least gotten better numbers then the conventional motor EPA ratings. How about these numbers from www.autochannel.com

"We drove the standard Highlander over more than 2,000 of roads, primarily highway on long trips. The Hybrid, on the other hand, we used for around-town driving, where the economy of the hybrid technology is supposed to shine.

We averaged 23.8 mpg in the conventional Highlander; 21.6 in the hybrid."
    hmmm 0 for 2...those odds aren't looking to good for Toyota. I wonder what the boys over at www.autoweb.com mustered out of the Hybrid.
    On the other end of the spectrum is the new 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which shares the Prius’ SULEV rating but, with our staff driving, yielded only 19.8 mpg.

Assuming you drive 15,000 miles a year and 45% of it is on the highway — what the government considers typical, it will take about seven years to repay the higher cost of a Highlander hybrid if gas is $2.50 a gallon, eight if it's $2. <- Thanks USA Today for doing the math. Seven years??? Thats worse then the Accords pay off rate, AND those numbers are assuming you are actually getting the EPA estimated 31/27.

Value vs Vogue? My conclusion...Its all vogue my friend.

...just another GM Fanatics rant.
    Last edited by GM_Fanatic; 10-23-2005 at 12:13 AM.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

and UGLY vogue at that! bah!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

good points. i think the highlander hybrid is a waste of money too. dont forget the emmissions though, thats also part of the reason people buy hybrid suvs, to shed off that guilt you have regarding the pollution and the destruction of the planet.id never buy any hybrid other then the prius, which is truely designed to get good milage, unlike these "performance hybrids".

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

if someone doesn't drive a hybrid to get the best mileage (like braking more and not stomping on the gas) then they won't get the best mileage for it

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xioix
    if someone doesn't drive a hybrid to get the best mileage (like braking more and not stomping on the gas) then they won't get the best mileage for it
    that is very true, however...

i don't think the vast majority of americans
    a) want to pay a gigantic price premium
    b) have to "relearn" how to drive"
    c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbartley
    that is very true, however...

i don't think the vast majority of americans
    a) want to pay a gigantic price premium
    b) have to "relearn" how to drive"
    c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years
    didn't know the majority of american's drive 60k miles a year

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbartley
    ...c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years
    Why does this thinking still persist? You won't need a new hybrid battery in three years. They can last 8-10 years and they're warrantied. Plus, as time progresses and production/quantity increases the costs of hybrid batteries will come down.

My first Vortec-powered post, baby.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350
    Why does this thinking still persist? You won't need a new hybrid battery in three years. They can last 8-10 years and they're warrantied. Plus, as time progresses and production/quantity increases the costs of hybrid batteries will come down.

I don't know why they still think this, I mean do they see people with prius from 97 complaing about having to buy another battery every 3 years

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350

at which time they will no longer be covered by the warrenty.

Thanks

I'm just curious if everyone (mostly on this site) will be this critical on the GM Hybrid SUVs if they suffer the same fate with the EPA ratings.

Toyota has turned the word "Hybrid" into a marketing gimmic - and their new commercials definately prove that point. The problem is, companies HAVE to waste the money developing Hybrids to look good in the PR sense. I agree with Bob Lutz, Carlos Gohsen, and the others that say Hybrids are not a good business venture.
    There is no replacement for displacement - except for the turbo in my basement Hidden Content
    2005 GTO Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrfunji
    I'm just curious if everyone (mostly on this site) will be this critical on the GM Hybrid SUVs if they suffer the same fate with the EPA ratings.

Toyota has turned the word "Hybrid" into a marketing gimmic - and their new commercials definately prove that point. The problem is, companies HAVE to waste the money developing Hybrids to look good in the PR sense. I agree with Bob Lutz, Carlos Gohsen, and the others that say Hybrids are not a good business venture.
    I don't know why they don't mention the silverado hybrid anytime when they talk about hybrids being more expensive and not getting much better gas mileage

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn_Bird
    at which time they will no longer be covered by the warrenty.
    The batteries are warrantied for 8 years or longer.

Thanks

Hmm, still not perfect?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xioix
    I don't know why they don't mention the silverado hybrid anytime when they talk about hybrids being more expensive and not getting much better gas mileage
    Its because the Silverado hybrid receives no recognition whatsoever. It doesn't have the high expectation from the publics eye that Toyota has to live up to. Personally I love the moble generator in the bed aspect, the fact that you get a bump in the fuel economy is just a plus.

I hope that GM doesn't overrate their hybrids so they can honestly say in commercials...THIS IS the numbers you will be getting. I'll call BS on GM if they claim 40/30 for the Tahoe and it only really gets mid 20's. Thats what I'm expecting it to get anyhow so i won't be complaining. Question though, how much say does the manufacture have in the EPA's numbers? If I was Toyota, in the interest of my own image, I would try and get them to put more realistic numbers.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Fanatic
    Question though, how much say does the manufacture have in the EPA's numbers? If I was Toyota, in the interest of my own image, I would try and get them to put more realistic numbers.
    Zero. Whatever the EPA numbers state, you have to use them. No question. It's not Toyota's fault the EPA figures are inflated.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information