Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 GM_Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,465
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Some of the following is from a comment I left in Mings "The Hype-rid Challenge: Value vs. Vogue" thread, but I decided to start my own when I did some more digging and got even more dirt on the Highlander Hybrid.

    First I'll start out on the premium that you are paying for this car based SUV. You pay $7,000 (not including dealer markups mind you) straight up more then the conventional gasoline model. There are many standard features that are optional on the regular model but in my opinion all these optional features made standard are simply fluff to hide the fact that you are paying $4,500-$5,000 more, then a conventional motor, when the features are taken in to account.

    And that is a $4,500 premium for what? I have a feeling most of its buyers are not performance enthusiasts trying to shave 2 seconds off the 0-60 for their vanilla styled Highlander. And it sure as heck isn't for fuel efficiency savings. Wait a second, its a Hybrid, thats the point...right? Read on...

    The auto journalist in my local newspaper recently test drove the hybrid for a week. The EPA is 31 city/27 highway for the hybrid, while the EPA for the conventional motor is 18/24. Lo and behold the average gas mileage he got with 3/4 city driving and 1/4 freeway was 23.5 mpg. hmmm, thats a lower rating then the conventional motor, and with more city driving where the hybrid is supposed to excel.

    What is that you say? It depends on his driving style? Then surely others have at least gotten better numbers then the conventional motor EPA ratings. How about these numbers from www.autochannel.com

    "We drove the standard Highlander over more than 2,000 of roads, primarily highway on long trips. The Hybrid, on the other hand, we used for around-town driving, where the economy of the hybrid technology is supposed to shine.

    We averaged 23.8 mpg in the conventional Highlander; 21.6 in the hybrid."
    hmmm 0 for 2...those odds aren't looking to good for Toyota. I wonder what the boys over at www.autoweb.com mustered out of the Hybrid.
    On the other end of the spectrum is the new 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which shares the Prius’ SULEV rating but, with our staff driving, yielded only 19.8 mpg.


    Assuming you drive 15,000 miles a year and 45% of it is on the highway — what the government considers typical, it will take about seven years to repay the higher cost of a Highlander hybrid if gas is $2.50 a gallon, eight if it's $2. <- Thanks USA Today for doing the math. Seven years??? Thats worse then the Accords pay off rate, AND those numbers are assuming you are actually getting the EPA estimated 31/27.

    Value vs Vogue? My conclusion...Its all vogue my friend.

    ...just another GM Fanatics rant.
    Last edited by GM_Fanatic; 10-23-2005 at 12:13 AM.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    Hidden Content

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    JAX
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    and UGLY vogue at that! bah!

  4. #3
    GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    12,554
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 842 Times in 412 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    good points. i think the highlander hybrid is a waste of money too. dont forget the emmissions though, thats also part of the reason people buy hybrid suvs, to shed off that guilt you have regarding the pollution and the destruction of the planet.id never buy any hybrid other then the prius, which is truely designed to get good milage, unlike these "performance hybrids".

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    if someone doesn't drive a hybrid to get the best mileage (like braking more and not stomping on the gas) then they won't get the best mileage for it

  7. #5
    4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    JAX
    Posts
    2,692
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by xioix
    if someone doesn't drive a hybrid to get the best mileage (like braking more and not stomping on the gas) then they won't get the best mileage for it
    that is very true, however...

    i don't think the vast majority of americans
    a) want to pay a gigantic price premium
    b) have to "relearn" how to drive"
    c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years

  8. #6
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbartley
    that is very true, however...

    i don't think the vast majority of americans
    a) want to pay a gigantic price premium
    b) have to "relearn" how to drive"
    c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years
    didn't know the majority of american's drive 60k miles a year

  9. #7
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by jbartley
    ...c) pay for new bajillion batteries every 3 years
    Why does this thinking still persist? You won't need a new hybrid battery in three years. They can last 8-10 years and they're warrantied. Plus, as time progresses and production/quantity increases the costs of hybrid batteries will come down.

    My first Vortec-powered post, baby.

  10. #8
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350
    Why does this thinking still persist? You won't need a new hybrid battery in three years. They can last 8-10 years and they're warrantied. Plus, as time progresses and production/quantity increases the costs of hybrid batteries will come down.

    My first Vortec-powered post, baby.
    I don't know why they still think this, I mean do they see people with prius from 97 complaing about having to buy another battery every 3 years

  11. #9
    Guest
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    750
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti Z350
    Why does this thinking still persist? You won't need a new hybrid battery in three years. They can last 8-10 years and they're warrantied. Plus, as time progresses and production/quantity increases the costs of hybrid batteries will come down.

    My first Vortec-powered post, baby.
    at which time they will no longer be covered by the warrenty.

  12. #10
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6 mrfunji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Red Sox Nation
    Posts
    742
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    I'm just curious if everyone (mostly on this site) will be this critical on the GM Hybrid SUVs if they suffer the same fate with the EPA ratings.

    Toyota has turned the word "Hybrid" into a marketing gimmic - and their new commercials definately prove that point. The problem is, companies HAVE to waste the money developing Hybrids to look good in the PR sense. I agree with Bob Lutz, Carlos Gohsen, and the others that say Hybrids are not a good business venture.
    There is no replacement for displacement - except for the turbo in my basement Hidden Content
    2005 GTO Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  13. #11
    3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    571
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by mrfunji
    I'm just curious if everyone (mostly on this site) will be this critical on the GM Hybrid SUVs if they suffer the same fate with the EPA ratings.

    Toyota has turned the word "Hybrid" into a marketing gimmic - and their new commercials definately prove that point. The problem is, companies HAVE to waste the money developing Hybrids to look good in the PR sense. I agree with Bob Lutz, Carlos Gohsen, and the others that say Hybrids are not a good business venture.
    I don't know why they don't mention the silverado hybrid anytime when they talk about hybrids being more expensive and not getting much better gas mileage

  14. #12
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturn_Bird
    at which time they will no longer be covered by the warrenty.
    The batteries are warrantied for 8 years or longer.

  15. #13
    6.0 Liter L76 V8 redimpss5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,021
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Hmm, still not perfect?

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8 GM_Fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,465
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by xioix
    I don't know why they don't mention the silverado hybrid anytime when they talk about hybrids being more expensive and not getting much better gas mileage
    Its because the Silverado hybrid receives no recognition whatsoever. It doesn't have the high expectation from the publics eye that Toyota has to live up to. Personally I love the moble generator in the bed aspect, the fact that you get a bump in the fuel economy is just a plus.

    I hope that GM doesn't overrate their hybrids so they can honestly say in commercials...THIS IS the numbers you will be getting. I'll call BS on GM if they claim 40/30 for the Tahoe and it only really gets mid 20's. Thats what I'm expecting it to get anyhow so i won't be complaining. Question though, how much say does the manufacture have in the EPA's numbers? If I was Toyota, in the interest of my own image, I would try and get them to put more realistic numbers.
    My thoughts and random babblings...
    Hidden Content

  17. #15
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,233
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Highlander Hybrid: The Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by GM_Fanatic
    Question though, how much say does the manufacture have in the EPA's numbers? If I was Toyota, in the interest of my own image, I would try and get them to put more realistic numbers.
    Zero. Whatever the EPA numbers state, you have to use them. No question. It's not Toyota's fault the EPA figures are inflated.

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Nice article on GM's hybrid development
    By Ramair-WS6 in forum General Car Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-21-2005, 09:49 PM
  2. Toyota's hybrid SUV short on quality
    By pkd87 in forum Competition News
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 10-15-2005, 08:46 PM
  3. Hybrid vehicle demand soars
    By pupp1 in forum Automotive Industry & GM News
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 12:14 AM
  4. UNBIASED Toyota Highlander Hybrid review
    By goblue in forum Competition News
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 10:05 AM
  5. Escape Hybrid Sales Grow
    By FordMan in forum Ford Motor Company Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 04:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2