Fixing Acura - Page 4

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fixing Acura

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Fixing Acura

Quote Originally Posted by nferr View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of Acuras around lately with the jewel headlights. New ones must be selling pretty well. Of course most of them are MDX's and RDX's. Those things are allover the place.
    The MDX is selling well as it always has for the brand and the RDX finally is with the current generation as well, which is receiving the jeweled lighting for 2016. The TLX has the lighting and also is selling well. Soon the 2016 ILX should become more prominent on American roads and that too has the jeweled lights for 2016. The RLX has them but as we all know it's completely sales-proof. I think I have gotten to like the look more than I did initially, although I never disliked them that much either. We'll see what Acura does next, as the TLX is a solid option in its segment and their crossovers are too. The ILX seems to be nicely updated and right now it's mainly about them getting the actual luxury products right (everything I just mentioned is more or less upscale and not really "luxury"). The RLX comes to mind as well as something above the MDX. The NSX will be interesting to see in terms of how good it is and its sales, even in that niche segment. If the NSX will be good for anything, they MUST quickly and effectively use it to position more luxury products within their portfolio.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

I liked the RDX more as a sporty MDX alternative. The turbo was cool. Now it's a bit too mature.
    My blog: Hidden Content

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 975 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I think at present Acura's MDX is about as large as makes sense for that brand. If Jeep can find a way to span 30-75K for a Grand Cherokee, then I have to think Acura can find a way to get to 60K+ on the MDX.
    I don't think so, I think they are about as high as they can with the MDX. Crossover buyers don't care about off-roading or sportiness, which is what the most expensive Grand Cherokee's do pretty well (SRT + any GC with the two speed transfer case and air suspension). Plus you could argue the GC has a nicer interior. Plus a diesel...........

As I mentioned in a previous post, MDX is a good, premium crossover, but it doesn't have the breadth or capability of the GC line.
    Last edited by CJH; 05-09-2015 at 08:39 AM.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I liked the RDX more as a sporty MDX alternative. The turbo was cool. Now it's a bit too mature.
    My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by CJH View Post
    I don't think so, I think they are about as high as they can with the MDX. Crossover buyers don't care about off-roading or sportiness, which is what the most expensive Grand Cherokee's do pretty well (SRT + any GC with the two speed transfer case and air suspension). Plus you could argue the GC has a nicer interior. Plus a diesel...........

As I mentioned in a previous post, MDX is a good, premium crossover, but it doesn't have the breadth or capability of the GC line.
    With sales as high as ever for the MDX, I am confident there is room for even more than the current Advance at the top of the line. Crossover buyers indeed do not care much about off-roading, but that is well evidenced by what I am sure are few M-Classes or GL-Classes equipped with the On/Off-Road package (they use the same platform as the GC and with that option package that includes an adjustable suspension, are surely as capable off-road - at least with the similarly sized M-Class). I'm thinking more about the luxury details and features than off-roading. Plus, some kind of upgraded engine. For one thing, the RLX's 377 horsepower Sport Hybrid system would be a nice option. That alone could drive the price of an Advance Sport Hybrid north of 60K.

Basically, this is what I'd do (package wise) for the MDX: The current Advance versions are renamed Technology Plus and the Advance becomes a new premium package for the MDX in terms of features. Available with both the standard and hybrid engines, the MDX Advance features leather on the doors and dash, surrounding cameras, Krell audio, power folding mirrors, ďsport trimĒ on the front and rear bumpers, and special wheels. All other packages are standard with Advance, and a base price of $60,000 for the 3.5L, $65,000 for the hybrid. And maybe skip my earlier post where I'd offer a high-output turbo-4 below the 3.5L.

For an actual luxury SUV above the MDX, I'd stick with a crossover type SUV as opposed to a more traditional off-road type SUV. I've tentatively named it the Legend Cross to align it with the new Legend that I proposed. It can share the platform, engines and so forth and really is a Legend crossover of sorts, competing with the Cayenne and Range Rover Sport, or the upcoming Maserati SUV as well. So even though it's smaller than the MDX overall and would likely only have two rows of seating, it would be more stylish, much better appointed, have unique technology, more dynamic to drive, and much quicker. The MDX's 3.5L and the Sport Hybrid engine would be offered (but in this lighter, 7-speed twin-clutch equipped crossover) but the new 3.5L twin-turbo hybrid V-6 for use in a few Acuras based on the concept of the NSX's 3.7TT hybrid would feature 450+ horsepower and be the premium engine option. Figure around 49K for a base version but well over 70K for a loaded twin-turbo.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information