Fixing Acura - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Acura

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

Re: Fixing Acura

Honda people that want more luxury buy Acura that is it! Who else would buy this nonsense.....
    "Good artists copy, great artists steal" Pablo Picasso

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Fixing Acura....

When Acura was successful, I always had the impression that it was a brand that gave you a lot more car than a Honda, but for only a moderate amount more money.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

CJH (03-29-2015),Dequindre (03-28-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mjd1001 View Post
    Fixing Acura....

When Acura was successful, I always had the impression that it was a brand that gave you a lot more car than a Honda, but for only a moderate amount more money.
    They were. However, now that mainstream cars can be highly optioned, that strategy doesn't work any longer. The ILX is a good example of Acura's failing strategy.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

roy219 (03-31-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

CJH
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 950 Posts
    My Ride
    Audi S4, Merc GL

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Nissan sells a $100,000 car. What's your point?
    At least they have the Z sitting underneath it. However, GTR probably should have been an Infiniti.

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Whatever they did to the new MDX...... which is doing more than great + as we speak, that's the pixie dust or formula they need throughout the line.
    The MDX is a well made, efficient, yet still slightly sporty three row crossover - right when crossovers are hot. Right product at the right time. Other than the goofy, bulging center stack, its a nice premium family vehicle. I still don't love the Acura "beak", but it probably looks the best on the MDX.

I think they should bring back the Prelude as an Acura (name it accordingly), have one "sporty" attainable model underneath the NSX. I always thought it was a mistake they killed it. After that, Honda/Acura started getting real boring.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by CJH Hidden Content
    Don't be loyal to a company, be loyal to good product and service.
    Past Rides:
    Audi A6 4.2L
    QX80 - @Big Salvage Yard in the Sky
    Audi S4 2.7TT
    Durango Limited Hemi 5.7L
    Ford Explorer 5.0L
    Pontiac Grand AM 3.4L
    Chevy Corsica 3.0L
    Toyota Tercel "Turdcel"
    Ford LTD Station Wagon 5.0L "Blue Thunder"

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

^ The MDX offers more room than the X5 at a lower price - a tried and true combination.

It's easier to get away w/ being FWD-based for CUVs than for higher-end luxury sedans, esp. since most CUV buyers opt for AWD anyway (or the automaker doesn't offer anything but AWD equipped).

But Acura started to offer the MDX in FWD form as buyers in the sun-belt didn't need AWD and didn't want the weight/gas penalty.

Really, not worth it for Honda to invest the huge amount that is necessary to develop a new (RWD) platform.

It's a tougher road sticking w/ being FWD-based, but if one is going to do so - need really attractive/striking sheetmetal and have to ramp up the luxury while offering it at a lower price than the RWD competition.
    Last edited by YEH; 03-31-2015 at 02:31 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

There are many more changes in store for the future, including a bit more aggressive edge in appearance (not like the last TL however, thankfully) to match the performance underneath.

Marketing needs to be a push too. I have been driving a TLX 2.4L Tech with all wheel steering for almost 6k miles now, and love the car. Do I wish it had non-old Buick LeSabre looking donut wheels and more aggressive bumper treatments? Yes, but it's the most comfortable car I've had and the drive quality is incredible. All wheel steering and an 8-speed dual clutch with torque converter...combined with a high revving AHM DI 4-cylinder? It's a ball. Once you drive them, there's no denying the engineering and performance that have gone into them, but they do lack the look and marketing sizzle that used to make people go "wow". That is in progress, after going off track a bit.

I was discussing last night...if we had a better commercial, even one alone, showing a TLX blipping its throttle on downshifts and then a view from outside as the rear wheels turned (you FEEL it work, so much), it would be a great start to have people go "wow it does that?".

Drive the cars, and that says it all. But add more sizzle so more people are intrigued to drive them...and it's a help.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to caddycruiser For This Useful Post:

roy219 (05-07-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    ^ The MDX offers more room than the X5 at a lower price - a tried and true combination.

It's easier to get away w/ being FWD-based for CUVs than for higher-end luxury sedans, esp. since most CUV buyers opt for AWD anyway (or the automaker doesn't offer anything but AWD equipped).

But Acura started to offer the MDX in FWD form as buyers in the sun-belt didn't need AWD and didn't want the weight/gas penalty.
    Despite the MDX's success, Acura hasn't taken it upmarket in terms of options the way I would think that they could. A loaded MDX is 57K, and I think if Acura wanted to take the brand upmarket they could offer the Sport Hybrid system the RLX offers, offsetting costs while offering an alternative to competitors that offer an uplevel engine. And upgraded interior fitting options and so forth would be great ways to get the price closer to 70K for a loaded MDX because based on its success I think there's room for buyers of top level MDXs to spend even more money for more car. And eventually the entire MDX line might move upmarket and allow the RDX more room.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

^ The MDX is Acura's midsize CUV and think it is priced appropriately.

Acura dumped the SH-AWD system on the RDX b/c buyers weren't willing to pony up for it.

Same reason why Acura started to offer the MDX in FWD-form (buyers in the sun-belt didn't want to pay for AWD or the hit on mileage).

Most CUV buyers don't care about sportiness (and those that do, just purchase a Cayenne or Macan - and even a good % of those buyers just get them for the Porsche badge).

If Acura want to compete above the MDX level, should offer another/larger CUV.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to YEH For This Useful Post:

CJH (05-09-2015)

Thanks

I own a Legend and it was a sharp looking car both inside and out!
    Not sure how Acura came to the crazy looking front grill and bland looking sedans. Don't the even look at BMW or Audi for design clues?

I drive a Mercedes but would go back to an Acura if it look sharp!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Engelman's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '10ZR1/'13 XTS/'15 Escalade/

Acura, and Honda for that matter, could become extinct tomorrow, and I could care less!
    Jake

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 565 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    Acura, and Honda for that matter, could become extinct tomorrow, and I could care less!
    That's cute... but it ain't gonna happen.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,685 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Quote Originally Posted by Engelman View Post
    So you do care then?
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    ...an 8-speed dual clutch with torque converter...combined with a high revving AHM DI 4-cylinder? It's a ball. Once you drive them, there's no denying the engineering and performance that have gone into them
    The Earth Dreams K24 engine paired with the 8-speed DCT may well be one of the best powertrains in the entire entry-luxury segment. Butter smooth, responsive, and efficient.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    ^ The MDX is Acura's midsize CUV and think it is priced appropriately.

Acura dumped the SH-AWD system on the RDX b/c buyers weren't willing to pony up for it.

Same reason why Acura started to offer the MDX in FWD-form (buyers in the sun-belt didn't want to pay for AWD or the hit on mileage).

Most CUV buyers don't care about sportiness (and those that do, just purchase a Cayenne or Macan - and even a good % of those buyers just get them for the Porsche badge).

If Acura want to compete above the MDX level, should offer another/larger CUV.
    I think at present Acura's MDX is about as large as makes sense for that brand. If Jeep can find a way to span 30-75K for a Grand Cherokee, then I have to think Acura can find a way to get to 60K+ on the MDX.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

I'm seeing a lot of Acuras around lately with the jewel headlights. New ones must be selling pretty well. Of course most of them are MDX's and RDX's. Those things are allover the place.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information