Fixing Acura - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Acura

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: Fixing Acura

Whatever they did to the new MDX...... which is doing more than great + as we speak, that's the pixie dust or formula they need throughout the line.

Which can be in a large partial sense charactorised as a return to the better parts of their history.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-19-2014 at 11:38 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression ó and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain ó " Matt Taibbi

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AMERICA 123 For This Useful Post:

ryannel2003 (09-19-2014),sfbreh (09-19-2014),t-rex (09-21-2014),TheNewStandard (09-19-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    That was the cool aid. When I moved from Africa, I could not believe the honor with which Honda's were held by americans.. in bad roads, they fall apart like paper mache.. no, but no thanks
    It certainly isn't cool aid when I consistently see Accord's with over 200k miles and my own Accord has 248k miles and runs fantastically. Now I'm not saying that every Honda is issue free (see early 2000's Accord and Odyssey transmissions) but for the most part, Honda's are reliable and well designed cars that can easily go the miles issue free than not.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsRace View Post
    Have you heard about Takata airbags and Honda and the deaths associated with the issue. Of course not, everyone is more than happy to kill GM first. Not defending GM, just making a point.
    That issue was the supplier of the airbag, not the auto manufacturer. For example, BMW just recalled 500k E46 3 Series for what? You guessed it, Takata airbags. I believe GM also had some recalls related to the same airbags, along with Toyota.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Whatever they did to the new MDX...... which is doing more than great + as we speak, that's the pixie dust or formula they need throughout the line.

Which can be in a large partial sense charactorised as a return to the better parts of their history.
    Working with Acura for 3+ years now, YES, that is a huge part of it and well underway...but with even more being done to the sedans, etc. which are in a different world.

The TLX runs circles around every sedan out there, and image to start with aside, has 0 excuses. As flashy as some? That's a personal taste question. The MDX...people need to stop mentioning Hybrid, it already is 3-4 mpg HIGHER than any other crossover out there, without any battery or electric weight add-ons, and gets the mileage...with performance that runs circles around any others. Could it blow the ceiling further? Sure. But it already does that and then some. Especially for $10-20-30k less than many large utes, price considered or not.

Image will come back around, the core basics have to remain and have. A more exciting image? Sure. But drive some of the current products vs. anything else out there without blinders on, and see. The ILX will have a remake soon, and the RDX we 3 years into redesign can't get enough of, will also be updated soon.

It's like Cadillac in a way. There is a lot right, and a few image/etc. things left straggling...yet, unlike Cadillac, the reputation, quality, performance and #1 resale value/lowest cost of ownership vs. ANY other products out there remain.

Excuse me while I go floor a new TLX with all wheel steering and screaming VTEC engine around a track...
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caddycruiser For This Useful Post:

roy219 (09-21-2014),sfbreh (09-20-2014)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

More realistically, here's what I would do that would be actually doable in the next few years:

- Come up with something above the MDX, an even larger SUV. It would have to be based on the same platform but they can make it work, if Land Rover can do both a RR and a RRS on the same platform. Give it a hybrid powertrain for the top model.
    - Get the damn NSX out to the market already. Didn't they start developing this thing in 2008?
    - Put out a Honda HRV based small crossover.
    - A new RSX I think is doable *very easily* - [b]Simply take the CRZ, dump the hybrid powertrain and put in the 2.4l K series.[b] Give it acceptable corporate styling and price it right - around CLA/A3 price. It doesn't need AWD, no one in the segment cares and it will handle perfectly fine with just FWD.

The rest of it, eh. The ILX/TLX/RLX are probably the best they can do with what they have. Anything more would require some huge investment in new platforms and engines that they can't or won't commit to. I really dislike the styling of the RLX and wish they would change it though. They could probably do with more body styles, a wagon and a 4 door coupe version of a few of the cars would be good idea, I personally don't care for them but I guess other people do.

People should remember Acura's original founding mission back in 1986 (they are the first Japanese premium marque, older than lexus BTW). They were originally an AUDI competitor, not a MB/BMW competitor. Audi back then and now was always FWD with optional AWD and it's not hurting them at all in markets outside of NA, and it probably doesn't even hurt them in NA either judging by the endless wave of idiots here who swear up and down that Audi's AWD is god's gift to cars. OF course throughout the 1990s that mission sort of lost it's meaning because Audi ran themselves out of the US market without any help from anyone else, but what Audi is doing now proves what is possible. Acura can't replicate MB or BMW's lineup overnight but they can easily come up with most of Audi's lineup, and people won't be afraid to own them pas the warranty.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by mchicha View Post
    That was the cool aid. When I moved from Africa, I could not believe the honor with which Honda's were held by americans.. in bad roads, they fall apart like paper mache.. no, but no thanks
    You consumed the "cool aid", not owners of Honda and Acura automobiles (hope it was refreshing). American Honda earned that honor by building cars that exceeded customer expectations, particularly in the realm of reliability and durability.

ryannel2003 is absolutely correct: Honda and Acura passenger cars (and minivans) were and still are champions when it comes to long term durability. Of the ten car/minivan models that have the highest proportion of still functional units with 200,000 miles or more on them, Honda and Acura claimed four spots - more than any other manufacturer. The Accord ranked #1.

Seeking a car that will "fall apart like paper mache" on good roads? Locate any GM passenger car of the same vintage as ryannel2003's Accord.
    Last edited by roy219; 09-20-2014 at 10:35 AM.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roy219 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (09-21-2014),ryannel2003 (09-21-2014),sfbreh (09-20-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
    More realistically, here's what I would do that would be actually doable in the next few years:

- Come up with something above the MDX, an even larger SUV. It would have to be based on the same platform but they can make it work, if Land Rover can do both a RR and a RRS on the same platform. Give it a hybrid powertrain for the top model.
    - Get the damn NSX out to the market already. Didn't they start developing this thing in 2008?
    - Put out a Honda HRV based small crossover.
    - A new RSX I think is doable *very easily* - [b]Simply take the CRZ, dump the hybrid powertrain and put in the 2.4l K series.[b] Give it acceptable corporate styling and price it right - around CLA/A3 price. It doesn't need AWD, no one in the segment cares and it will handle perfectly fine with just FWD.

The rest of it, eh. The ILX/TLX/RLX are probably the best they can do with what they have. Anything more would require some huge investment in new platforms and engines that they can't or won't commit to. I really dislike the styling of the RLX and wish they would change it though. They could probably do with more body styles, a wagon and a 4 door coupe version of a few of the cars would be good idea, I personally don't care for them but I guess other people do.

People should remember Acura's original founding mission back in 1986 (they are the first Japanese premium marque, older than lexus BTW). They were originally an AUDI competitor, not a MB/BMW competitor. Audi back then and now was always FWD with optional AWD and it's not hurting them at all in markets outside of NA, and it probably doesn't even hurt them in NA either judging by the endless wave of idiots here who swear up and down that Audi's AWD is god's gift to cars. OF course throughout the 1990s that mission sort of lost it's meaning because Audi ran themselves out of the US market without any help from anyone else, but what Audi is doing now proves what is possible. Acura can't replicate MB or BMW's lineup overnight but they can easily come up with most of Audi's lineup, and people won't be afraid to own them pas the warranty.
    No more bodystyles besides a TLX coupe. They don't need anything else.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    The MDX...people need to stop mentioning Hybrid, it already is 3-4 mpg HIGHER than any other crossover out there, without any battery or electric weight add-ons, and gets the mileage...with performance that runs circles around any others. Could it blow the ceiling further? Sure. But it already does that and then some. Especially for $10-20-30k less than many large utes, price considered or not.
    If the RLX is rated at 20/31 with the 3.5L/FWD/6AT combo and 28/32 with the 3.5H/AWD/7DC combo, couldn't the MDX see similar gains? Better economy with a very notable increase in performance in one of Acura's most consistently successful products? I think you could see success with that selection.

And Acura needs a real flagship. The RLX should've been more A7 than XTS. There's not even an AWD option unless you buy the niche Sport Hybrid. Such an odd decision - and people like AWD for the winter so Acura cannot say PAWS is the solution.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-21-2014)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,604 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Uhhh...who's Acura?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (09-21-2014),Jesda (09-21-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Acura is a meaningless brand in an increasingly competitive market.

Honda would be best served by killing it off and sprucing up their core offerings.
    My blog: Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,622 Times in 4,604 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

Honda would be best served by killing it off and sprucing up their core offerings.
    LOL. So if they fold, will that free up a bunch of meaningless letter-model "names" for other equally noncreative makers to use as nomenklatura?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

Honda should do both: make a serious turnaround of Acura and offer more premium variants of their Honda-branded products. A lot of successful Hondas could use Touring and Touring Elite trims above the EX-Ls, and Honda would profit nicely from it. Successful Acura products would not have much overlap demographically.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

What they really should offer is a light BOF truck along the lines of the Tacoma and an equivalent SUV based on the same frame. Much moresoe than a RWD V8 sedan or whatever else the posters here drone on about but will never buy.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

I love making up car lineups!

ILX needs to be edgier... something like the CitroŽn DS4.
    RDX needs less banal styling. It's a very nice crossover otherwise.
    A subcompact crossover would probably work. That segment's the hot new thing...
    RLX is inexcusable. Why this anodyne heap instead of something like the Audi A7? Or one of those fashionable "four door coupťs"...?
    I wouldn't rule out a fullsize crossover. There's still a considerable market for them.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-rex For This Useful Post:

Amphibian (10-01-2014),sfbreh (10-01-2014),TheNewStandard (09-22-2014)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 caddycruiser's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Changes every day...

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    If the RLX is rated at 20/31 with the 3.5L/FWD/6AT combo and 28/32 with the 3.5H/AWD/7DC combo, couldn't the MDX see similar gains? Better economy with a very notable increase in performance in one of Acura's most consistently successful products? I think you could see success with that selection.

And Acura needs a real flagship. The RLX should've been more A7 than XTS. There's not even an AWD option unless you buy the niche Sport Hybrid. Such an odd decision - and people like AWD for the winter so Acura cannot say PAWS is the solution.
    Not to say the MDX can't get even better...but I like to remind people, even NOW, it is by far the best in class. Beats any other crossover out there in mpg's, beats Hybrids in mpg's, etc. and all with a "normal V6 and 6-speed transmission...oh and same if you get SH-AWD".

We get a lot of clients comparing all sorts of crossovers, GM, Lexus, etc. included comparing fuel and mpg's that often to be reminded...it's hard to compare something rated 22 with something rated 27...that can really get it, if fuel is your concern. Add in driving dynamics that win, too, and it makes sense.

We'll see how future goes, especially with mid-cycle. RDX and ILX mid-cycle are next, very soon in the spring.
    Certified car nut...ask me, I've probably owned it, driven it, sold it...or thought about it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caddycruiser View Post
    Not to say the MDX can't get even better...but I like to remind people, even NOW, it is by far the best in class. Beats any other crossover out there in mpg's, beats Hybrids in mpg's, etc. and all with a "normal V6 and 6-speed transmission...oh and same if you get SH-AWD".

We get a lot of clients comparing all sorts of crossovers, GM, Lexus, etc. included comparing fuel and mpg's that often to be reminded...it's hard to compare something rated 22 with something rated 27...that can really get it, if fuel is your concern. Add in driving dynamics that win, too, and it makes sense.

We'll see how future goes, especially with mid-cycle. RDX and ILX mid-cycle are next, very soon in the spring.
    So then you can tell your customers, "Look how far ahead in the segment we are here, but still with a comparable output. Now here's the MDX Sport Hybrid where you receive even more competitive efficiency and we're talking 377 horsepower!" Honda and all other brands should never be satisfied with where they are and strive for better. If that's done consistently they'll just become THE standard in the way the German brands are in the luxury arena. Despite having numerous quality competitors, BMW and MB lead in so many segments. Similarly, Honda should get their Honda-tuned ZF 9AT into everything that has a 5AT or 6AT right now - including the new MDX.

I look forward to the RDX and ILX updates. The RDX is already a strong seller and IMO isn't even as good as it could've been, so with some updates as I outlined earlier in this thread I think Acura could improve both sales AND ATPs. Ditto the ILX, even though it was a slower seller out of the gate.

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information