First Test: 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Test: 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

First Test: 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

Wow. Disappointing. Guess the 29-hp haircut from last year takes its toll. 0-60 now 8.0, down from 6.5 from the previous model. Not to mention I think the '11-'14 model is better-looking.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0t_first_test/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: First Test: 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport 2.0T

What's wrong with the 2.0Ts? Both MotorTrend and C&D's Sonata 2.0T test cars are shockingly slow, slower than some competitors base I-4s. It's nearly 30 horsepower down compared to the outgoing car, but those were low-6s in the 0-60. These are closer to eight!? Literally no reason to get it at this point.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 Premium Member igotzzoom's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Chevrolet Avalanche Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    What's wrong with the 2.0Ts? Both MotorTrend and C&D's Sonata 2.0T test cars are shockingly slow, slower than some competitors base I-4s. It's nearly 30 horsepower down compared to the outgoing car, but those were low-6s in the 0-60. These are closer to eight!? Literally no reason to get it at this point.
    There are some goodies on the new model that are nice, but I have BT, Nav and most stuff I want on mine. I think Hyundai tried too hard to "mainstream" the '15 model. Hear they're not selling that hot, either.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    There are some goodies on the new model that are nice, but I have BT, Nav and most stuff I want on mine. I think Hyundai tried too hard to "mainstream" the '15 model. Hear they're not selling that hot, either.
    Yeah other than updated tech and what seems to be a better handling chassis, the rest of the car seems stagnant as an overall product. Kind of the issue with the 2008 Accord and 2013 Malibu IMO. We saw how that worked for Chevy. Hyundai should've just had the full, traditional five year cycle and made more worthwhile improvements.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

It seems like Hyundai as a whole has lost some of the momentum they were building over the last 5 years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    It seems like Hyundai as a whole has lost some of the momentum they were building over the last 5 years.
    Hopefully that's only the case with this Sonata and not a trend we see at Hyundai. Other redesigns, like the Genesis, Azera, and Sante Fe, are greatly improved.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,404 Times in 4,168 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

8 seconds 0 to 60 for a sport model? That would've been competitive in..... the 1980's.... The mpg is good, but not great, I would have expected the offset to the slow 0 to 60 to be superior mpg's....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Do these engines have massive turbo lag?? That's the only explanation for these times. I hear they are quite nice from a roll although I did beat one in my GP so there's that...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    Agreed. Your car is better looking than this gen.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Hopefully that's only the case with this Sonata and not a trend we see at Hyundai. Other redesigns, like the Genesis, Azera, and Sante Fe, are greatly improved.
    Funny, I think the Sonata is their most impressive update yet, but the competition has gotten a lot stronger as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    Funny, I think the Sonata is their most impressive update yet, but the competition has gotten a lot stronger as well.
    In fact, I can only speak to the on-paper stats and initial reviews. I've yet to sample the newest Sonata, but the outgoing car was nice to ride in for an hour. Really put Hyundai on the map in this segment thanks to its design, efficiency, and tech. Perhaps I built up a potential redesign too much in my mind. Still, the car seems to be largely competitive in all aspects, just not much of a standout in any - not to mention the glaring flaw that seems to be the latest 2.0T, which is neither impressive in mileage nor performance. I was never fully expecting it but things like the 1.6T instead of the 2.4L and an 8-9AT would've been at the leading edge of this segment.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

To me that 274hp rating was awfully questionable as it was. If anything I can only assume that was the rated hp on 93, but I believe they call for 87 (as opposed to GM's "recommended but not required" 91 wording). Not that I tend to partake in such activities often, but circumstances led to me having a little run in with a 2.0T Sonata a year ago or so, and I had no problem walking him twice in a 270hp and ~300lb heavier GS from a roll.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,139 Times in 4,379 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

This is not progress.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,409 Times in 1,848 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Hyundai's 2.0T GDI is drawing criticism from brand enthusiasts because of it's lack of real world performance and inconsistent road test results.

I'd wonder just which Hyundai regional R&D developed this engine - it certainly wasn't the German R&D unit who designed/developed the excellent R-series 2.2 turbo-diesel - shame, because Hyundai has plenty of expertise in turbos and direct injection.

Back!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    This is not progress.
    Indeed, it would appear that this car takes as much of a step back from the prior generation to this as the Malibu did in the last major update of that model. Will we hear as much hooplah about it on the forums now that the car in question is a Hyundai?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information