First Drive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Drive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

First Drive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

I'm a little surprised nobody posted this up yet, so, here it is...

Everyone grows up. Sometimes they mature, trading baby fat for wisdom, and they go on to live long, productive lives. Others take their worst traits and amplify them, and then spend the rest of their lives trolling the Internet, leaving mean, snarky comments they really think are important. They have not matured; they have simply gotten older.

Fortunately, the 2015 Hyundai Genesis premium sedan has taken the higher road in its second-generation. The exterior looks more refined, its handling has become a touch more sporty, and the interior more sophisticated. What this car may lack in sporty chops it more than makes up in high-tech features and a luxurious ride.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2yJ3OPirc

Appearance-wise, some are going to love it and some are going to hate it. Probably very little in between. Me, I like huge grilles - and I like the rest of the exterior as well. Nothing astonishing or anything - just "nice". I "like" it. I don't "Maserati like it".

I REALLY like the interior.

Performance is nothing special but good enough for me.

I will actually add this car to my list of possibilities...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,842 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: First Drive: 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan

The Genesis is starting to spread it's wings - it's now being marketed, in low volume, in Europe which will make it available to Hyundai/Kia R&D at Russelsheim, Germany who will no doubt optimise the ride/handling much further - especially with direct access to the Nurburgring.

Only time will tell whether they use BMW or Mercedes-Benz as their benchmark, hopefully both.

And they already have a V6 diesel they could use in Genesis if the volume justifies - have GM got a V6 diesel available for car use yet ?
    Last edited by Ruperts Trooper; 04-08-2014 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

The design really bugs me. The front is so bold, square and upright, yet the body and rear is so curvy and smooth. It's like the front end was an afterthought.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

I've read some really good reviews. This in AWD may be just the ticket!
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    The design really bugs me. The front is so bold, square and upright, yet the body and rear is so curvy and smooth. It's like the front end was an afterthought.
    Isn't that what everyone said about the CTS...

Or that the rear suffered from DeVille syndrome.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Looks incoherent.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Nice looking in its entirety. The V-6 model would be quite preferrable to me over V-6 FWD sedans for the same money like an ES. With the V-8 against 6-cylinder competitors, again that's hard for me to argue against. I really like the GS350 F-Sport and CTS 3.6 and probably at least somewhat more than the Genesis 3.8, but against the thumpin' V-8 I would make the illogical choice of 420 horsepower. And Kudos to them continuing with it while others turn away.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

377Z (04-17-2014)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,044 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    I'm a little surprised

Everyone grows up. Sometimes they mature, trading baby fat for wisdom, and they go on to live long, productive lives. Others take their worst traits and amplify them, and then spend the rest of their lives trolling the Internet, leaving mean, snarky comments they really think are important. They have not matured; they have simply gotten older.

Fortunately, the 2015 Hyundai Genesis premium sedan has taken the higher road in its second-generation. The exterior looks more refined, its handling has become a touch more sporty, and the interior more sophisticated. What this car may lack in sporty chops it more than makes up in high-tech features and a luxurious ride.

..I was curious about the new genesis as I've had few days loaner in the past generation. (Dumpy looking exterior with a nice interior)

Very quiet car.....which was impressive.......nicely isolated .....good to hear it's a little more sporting as that was sorely missed .....

I look forward to seeing this car in the flesh....not sure about the styling either.....yet it seems interesting....

Little disjointed styling in photos with the front a bit jarring yet in person it might be interesting.

The Lexus front end lately has been a bit over the top and it's good to see its competitor the Genesis is not as singular a feature. There is some disharmony in design flow and somehow I imagine the Chinese prefer the strong face...

That's where the sales growth is.

Good to hear you liked the car....
    Last edited by JBsZ06; 04-17-2014 at 06:02 AM.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Don't like the front of this car at all. I hope it looks better in the metal.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Don't like the front of this car at all. I hope it looks better in the metal.
    I like it in person. It's not perfect but works while the sides and back are tautly elegant. Maybe this isn't a 5-Series-de-throner, but even so brands like Acura, Lincoln, or Volvo should take notice.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 1,044 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Spotted a white genesis sedan today on the road and it looks awesome.

Excellent design and executed quite well.

I'm impressed.

Much more so than on the autoshow circuit where the genesis design did not flow.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Wait until you guys drive it - if you ever plan on taking one for a test drive. It's very impressive. My wife had a very difficult time trying to decide on either the Genesis Sedan or the BMW X5 and in the end the X5 only won because she recently went shopping and, as always, really utilized the rear hatch space of her current Lexus RX350. There's just no way she can do a sedan. BUT - she considered one BECAUSE of how much she likes the new Genesis. The previous model she would not even test drive. She hated the interior.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    ..I was curious about the new genesis as I've had few days loaner in the past generation. (Dumpy looking exterior with a nice interior).
    Had a diff. view of the 1G - nice, albeit in a BMW manner sheetmetal and a crappy dash/center stack design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    The previous model she would not even test drive. She hated the interior.
    Pretty much my take.

Sal - while the new X5 isn't as sportier as its predecessor, it's better in pretty much every other way (looks better, rides better, more room, more luxurious, etc.).

Heck of an upgrade over an RX - I'd say.
    Last edited by YEH; 06-02-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    Pretty much my take.

Sal - while the new X5 isn't as sportier as its predecessor, it's better in pretty much every other way (looks better, rides better, more room, more luxurious, etc.).

Heck of an upgrade over an RX - I'd say.
    At first I really loved the first generation Genesis inside and out but quickly grew out of the interior. It was very nice but nothing special. The new interior, to me, is special.

As for the X5 over the RX - yeah - a nice upgrade. She's really looking forward to it. We have a little less than 2 months left on our "one pay" Lexus leases - and we're both insanely tired of Lexus. I'll gladly trade never having a problem to getting a loaner once in awhile for a more exciting driving experience.

I do hear how this generation X5 isn't as sporty as the previous generation but it's still a HELL of a lot sportier than the RX350. AND - the previous generation was probably TOO sporty (stiff suspension) for my wife since she didn't want to keep it when we had it for a 24 hour test drive a couple of years ago...

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

^ Yeah, I think BMW made the right choice in making the X5 a little less sportier considering the target buyer.

Also, the X5 is a good bit larger (actually has some rear cargo space now) and most buyers would take that trade.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information