California Cracks down on Modified Cars

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: California Cracks down on Modified Cars

Thanks

California Cracks down on Modified Cars

California Crackdown on Modified Cars

$5 million in federal money will fund a Sacramento, California effort to stop drivers in modified cars.

Police in Sacramento, California announced Wednesday that they would use $5 million in federal money to begin cracking down on auto enthusiasts who modify their vehicles. The money will be used to form an undercover "Drag-Net" unit to stop motorists who appear to be driving modified cars.

The concept, which originated in San Diego in 2001, has been spreading throughout California generating significant revenue for the state and local departments. In Santa Fe Springs, for example, twelve officers on Drag-Net duty issued 300 citations and impounded 50 vehicles in just one weekend. Several cities have drag-racing ordinances that allow police to auction off seized cars and keep the profits.

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Article Excerpt:

"We're looking to make a heavy impact on speeding and street racing in this area," Sacramento Police Deputy Chief Steve Segura said during a press conference with local and state officials on Del Paso Road in North Natomas.

Source: Area law enforcers to receive training to combat street racing (Sacramento Bee, 8/4/2005)

Read More:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/news.asp?ID=576&m=print
    Last edited by SweetHemi1; 08-15-2005 at 03:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: California Cracks down on Modified Cars

Could not come soon enough. I remember a few years ago when I was taking a leisurely drive with my dad north of Santa Barbara on Highway 101 early in the morning when some punk in a newer hatchback Civic came buzzing out of nowhere on the fastlane. My dad and I were just shooting the breeze and talking about the upcoming NFL season when the punk buzzed by us on the fast lane. As he passed he had to gun his little engine to try to "impress" me with his 160hp. Oh wow, I am so afraid of your little noisemaker, you little punk. Since I was driving with my dad I ignored the punk and let him buzz away with his ugly mini-minvan Civic. Hopefully the cops will impound his car now and use it to haul stray cats and dogs.
    Last edited by SweetHemi1; 08-15-2005 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks

Last edited by SweetHemi1; 08-15-2005 at 03:21 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

All the more reason to keep your road warrior a sleeper.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I know more than a few nuts who would resort to violence before they get their car auctioned off and get nothing for it. I fear this will only lead to a dead police officer.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Question Re: California Cracks down on Modified Cars

The punk was speeding in his rice rocket but what are the people who own unmodified Mustang GT's, Pontiac GTO's and HEMI's doing with all that power? Driving slowly? I don't think so.

Thanks

It seems like the guys w/ American sports cars drive w/ more respect than the kids in ricers.

Thanks

So what they gonnna do to the Cobalt SS with the performance package (recaros, LSD and that A pillar boost guage) and the trademark (for the class) park bench rear spoiler?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

good. im glad theyre comin down on riceburners. those things piss me off

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks

Modified cars are modified cars...and bad drivers are bad drivers. This "drag-net" will catch street racers driving domestic or import cars....turbo four-bangers or big V8s. I think the statement that "guys w/ American sports cars drive w/ more respect than the kids in ricers" is an oversimplification. Just because there are more children driving hopped up Hondas and Toyotas than Fords and Chevrolets doesn't reflect as much on the cars as the maturity of the owners. Young drivers of Mustangs and Camaros are just as stupid (in general) as young drivers of Civics and Supras. Heck, there are many older drivers of domestic iron that would give the stupidity of 16-year-olds a run for their money.

Bad drivers are bad drivers...no matter what they're driving. They all piss me off.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tama z71
    good. im glad theyre comin down on riceburners. those things piss me off
    If you paid any attention to the thread, you'd know that a domestic performance car is just as likely to get you in trouble...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 tama z71's Avatar
    Thanks

riceburner meaning any car with big wing, fart can, rubbermaid body kit. can be a civic or a cavalier. as long as they get them the hell off the road.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information