Bye Bye EL, hello CSX!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye EL, hello CSX!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Bye Bye EL, hello CSX!

If you're Canadian, I'm sure you know the Acura EL very well. Instead of continuing to use the Integra Sedan like the US, Acura decided to keep the Integra coupe but offer a different entry-level sedan and they called it EL. Before I get into further detail I'd like to let you know about the CSX. It's the replacement for the EL and the name as many would guess sounds like a level down from the TSX which well, it is. The EL since day one has been a rebadged Civic (Cadillac Cimarron sounds very similar). It essentially is a Civic with an Acura name, a few luxury goodies like Leather Seats, but costs a lot more, in fact it costs about the same as a typical midsize sedan like an Accord or G6 but has 127 HP! While it wasn't really a bad car, I don't think it probably acheived the sales that they probably hoped but since the Civic is so popular, it probably didn't worry them. Now that there's a new Civic, there's a new Acura version as well and instead of calling it EL (usually includes engine size which has been 1.6 and 1.7 EL) they called it CSX mainly to fit into the typical Acura name designation and the fact that it uses a 2.0L engine now, it made more sense to rename it.

ACURA EL

Acura CSX

As you can see it's quite good looking, especially compared to the sinister looking Civic sister. While I'm sure it won't win any beauty awards, it's still quite attractive and offers some pretty sweet features. Power comes from a 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC L4 with 155 HP and 139 LB-FT TORQUE with available Paddle Shifting Auto Transmission. The paddle shifting feature is generally found on more expensive vehicles like Ferrari's, Pontiac's and Saab's to name a few. It's a welcome feature, however there are drawbacks to all this fun. #1 is price, the CSX starts at a rather high $25,400. Essentially your paying $26,000 (almost $10,000 more than a surprisingly well equipped base Civic) for a Civic with an Acura name. Will it be a hit, well at those prices you can get more powerful, well equipped and larger midsize sedans like the Accord, G6, Sonata, Fusion, Malibu and Camry. The CSX isn't obviously a family car like the above mentioned and will definetly be for those who wan't the Acura prestige without the extra cost, but for those who can live without the Acura name for those prices, I wouldn't be surprised if they head over to their Honda dealer and check out an Accord or go to other dealerships. The G6 is a good alternative at those prices because it does offer more power for the same price and at times even less and isn't really a boring design. Still I would find it rare that a person looking at a small Acura would even dare consider a midsized Pontiac.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Bye Bye EL, hello CSX!

that CSX looks a whole lot like a honda civic with different badge and headlights

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    that CSX looks a whole lot like a honda civic with different badge and headlights
    the taillamps are altered as well, and yes like I said, IT IS A HONDA CIVIC, which brings back memories of the Cadillac Cimarron no doubt. But I don't think Acura cares if it sells well or not because they're still making profits off Civic.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

BADGE ENGINEERING! This puts the 800's to shame.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm also starting to find that Acura's look less and less distinct as the model years roll on. It used to be that the Acuras were a real nice move up from Honda but I think Honda has invaded on Acura territory. This is proof.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swahili
    I'm also starting to find that Acura's look less and less distinct as the model years roll on. It used to be that the Acuras were a real nice move up from Honda but I think Honda has invaded on Acura territory. This is proof.
    The EL's been around for a long time though, and i think it's become the other way around because just about all Acura's were Honda's in either North America or Europe or Japan.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Ugh. I'm really not feeling the new Civic sedan (or this thing). The two-door looks just fine, but this new design strikes me as as uncomfortable as the Ion sedan. Hopefully others will agree... but I think it's already off to a hot sales start.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    That's Canadian dollars.

My brother priced out a well equipped Civic and it came out to about 23k. It's not THAT big a step up to the CSX I suppose, if you want to deal with an Acura dealer instead, and get some extra goodies that probably aren't on the Civic.

Acura is smart in Canada. We like smaller cars, so why would they ignore this market? I always thought Infiniti should have kept some version of the G20 around too. That was a hella fun car to drive, since it was basically a Sentra SE-R, and it was available with a stick, plus it looked pretty tidy.

It IS a rebadge, but we seem to be more open to those up here...see Pursuit, Pontiac.

MF
    Duh it's Canadian Dollars, the car's only available in Canada lol, I doubt Acura would mention American dollars when it isn't even offered in America but I'm sure you made an honest error. The Purusit is a rebadge yes but arguably is covered up a bit more, but like I said some agree, some don't. But the Pursuit costs essentially the exact same as a Cobalt where a Base Civic costs a whole lot less than a Base CSX. Honda's doing what Cadillac did with the Cimarron, and since Civic sells so well, if they don't sell enough EL's or I guess now CSX's, it's not a big deal, people will buy it but it does bring in some Acura buyers and they'll hope, like all Luxury Automakers with their entry level cars, that the customer will upgrade to a higher model when they get their next car.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488
    Ugh. I'm really not feeling the new Civic sedan (or this thing). The two-door looks just fine, but this new design strikes me as as uncomfortable as the Ion sedan. Hopefully others will agree... but I think it's already off to a hot sales start.
    I saw a Civic in person and it almost looks worse in person, but the new Civic has a love hate styling to it which could offend more at least in the sedan than attract, but because of the Civic's excellent repuation, I'm sure people could care less if it's ugly or pretty.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    I only said it was Canadian dollars so others would know. It's only a matter of time before someone starts screeching about a $23000 US Civic.

The difference between this and the Cimarron is that the Cimarron was based off of an ass automobile. This is not. What's so different between this and GMC charging extra for a Denali over a Tahoe?

MF
    1) The Cimarron was a failure and was a design in the 80's...get over the past.
    2) The Denali offers different sheetmetal, different engines, and different options.

Why should Honda (one of the most renowned companies by many) stoop so low as being compared to a Cimarron anyway?

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

It's a welcome feature, however there are drawbacks to all this fun. #1 is price, the CSX starts at a rather high $25,400. Essentially your paying $26,000 (almost $10,000 more than a surprisingly well equipped base Civic) for a Civic with an Acura name.
    A low-end $25k CSX is an almost top-of-the-line Civic that costs well over $20k, so the difference is nowhere near what you're claiming.

I was wondering what the EL (now CSX) would look like when the new Civic was introduced. Still not impressed with the design, but I always felt that the new Civic/CSX models looked more closely related to the "edginess" of Acura and not the "smooth curves" of Honda.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Family Man
    A low-end $25k CSX is an almost top-of-the-line Civic that costs well over $20k, so the difference is nowhere near what you're claiming.
    A BASE CSX is 26k, a BASE CIVIC is 18k, that's a huge difference. Regardless if you compare a fully loaded Civic to a Base CSX, you're still paying for the name.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swahili
    Ummm...you sure? The Acura Legend, Vigor, Integra and Honda Accord of the late eighties/early nineties were handsome, but possessed similar aesthetics and proportions. The mid-nineties bought some bland Acuras; save for the CL and Integra, the rest of the lineup was so dull, they could have donned Honda badges in lieu of the Acura calipers and no one would have suspected a thing. Coming into the current century, the TL and CL tastefully advanced from the Accord. If anything, I think modern times provide the most distinct Acuras; the TSX, RSX, and TL are rakish and wedged compared to the typically more rounded, generic shapes at Honda.

Thanks

CSX you mean this???

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

I knew I have seen that front before.......The CSX is basically a JDM Civic from Japan:

Either way its not bad....too bad we don't get it here...I rather like the front of the old EL and CSX in comparison to our Civic......

Leather and other goodies is a plus....

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information