Australian Cops Are Replacing Their Commodores And Falcons With The Kia Stinger GT

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Australian Cops Are Replacing Their Commodores And Falcons With The Kia Stinger GT

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,130 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Australian Cops Are Replacing Their Commodores And Falcons With The Kia Stinger GT

Jalopnik
    By David Tracy
    06-05-2018

Queensland, Australia’s police department is rolling out 50 Kia Stinger patrol cars this week after the sports sedan received “top reports” from officers, News.com.au reports. This is not surprising, since the car seems like a perfect car for this job.

The news website says police departments throughout Australia are moving to replace Holden Commodore V8s and Ford Falcons, now that the companies that built them have shuttered their factories. I guess Aussie cops aren’t easily parted from their performance sedans.
    *Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,070 Times in 3,419 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Australian Cops Are Replacing Their Commodores And Falcons With The Kia Stinger G

The conquest of Australia by foreigners is complete.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,281 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: Australian Cops Are Replacing Their Commodores And Falcons With The Kia Stinger G

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    the "locals" LEFT THE FORT so CONQUEST was "open the door and walk in"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,382 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Only QLD HIghway Patrol is using stingers

Honestly that's probably the 200 a month they sell
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,171 Times in 4,398 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Buying more Cheap Chinese Junk? WTF?? Why not some nice Peugeots? Fiats? 300s? Yes, 300s. What a bunch of commies!!!!!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter. George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks

The OTHER foreigners from Detroit left the building, deeming the job too hard!

Left it to the ones who know what they're doing.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V-Car For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-07-2018),richmond2000 (07-08-2018),Ruperts Trooper (07-07-2018),VS Ute 5Litre (07-07-2018),YEH (07-08-2018)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,526 Times in 877 Posts

I guess once that one will need to be replaced with a new one, it'll be Jake and Elwood Blues' new Bluesmobile on a new mission for God.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I've gotta say, the two things that have disappointed me the most in the last twenty years with FoMoCo have been the sale of Aston Martin and the closing of Ford Australia. I say this because, IMO, there were no winners on either side in either case. I imagine it must not have been an easy thing for Edsel Ford to see Ford manufacturing in Australia come to and end either given that he spent quite a bit of time at Ford Australia in the 70's. I am glad that Ford maintains an engineering presence but, hopefully, Ford will someday find their way back onto that particular continent as a manufacturer.
    Last edited by SVT74; 07-08-2018 at 12:23 AM.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

And that's in large part due to the domestics (if you can call them that; can just as well call them foreigners) not giving Aussie buyers want they want.

Toyota (which can be described as a domestic - having had Aussie production) has dominated the market for some time (now, followed by Mazda and Hyundai).

And you know who else are the foreigners?

BMW and Chrysler - as the 530d and 300 SRT are also now serving as cop pursuit vehicles.

(Somehow, don't think you would have referred to them in the same manner.)
    Last edited by YEH; 07-08-2018 at 01:18 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to YEH For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    I've gotta say, the two things that have disappointed me the most in the last twenty years with FoMoCo have been the sale of Aston Martin and the closing of Ford Australia. I say this because, IMO, there were no winners on either side in either case. I imagine it must not have been an easy thing for Edsel Ford to see Ford manufacturing in Australia come to and end either given that he spent quite a bit of time at Ford Australia in the 70's. I am glad that Ford maintains an engineering presence but, hopefully, Ford will someday find their way back onto that particular continent as a manufacturer.
    Ford US couldn't give a **** about Ford Aus

They've displayed their total abandonment of the market 10 years or more ago when they stopped advertising the Falcon or giving it any worthwhile updates or export opportunities

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Ford US couldn't give a **** about Ford Aus

They've displayed their total abandonment of the market 10 years or more ago when they stopped advertising the Falcon or giving it any worthwhile updates or export opportunities
    Everything changes with time. Back in the late 1970's if you had told somebody that Ford would be manufacturing nothing whatsoever in Australia within forty years I suspect they would have found that difficult to believe. It's just as likely that, within the next forty years, the situation will change again and manufacturers will be back on the Australian continent.

As for the actual cancellation of the Falcon, I think that there is more than enough blame to go around. And generally, when things go wrong, that is typically how it spirals. From Ford Dearborn ignoring the potential and needs of the brand, to Ford Australia ignoring orders from Dearborn and actually hamstringing their own product in doing so, to the Australian government showing too little concern for the industry. Ultimately I think the majority of the responsibility here has to fall upon Ford Dearborn and the Australian government, because they were the ultimate authorities within their respective spheres.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (07-08-2018)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by SVT74 View Post
    Everything changes with time. Back in the late 1970's if you had told somebody that Ford would be manufacturing nothing whatsoever in Australia within forty years I suspect they would have found that difficult to believe. It's just as likely that, within the next forty years, the situation will change again and manufacturers will be back on the Australian continent.

As for the actual cancellation of the Falcon, I think that there is more than enough blame to go around. And generally, when things go wrong, that is typically how it spirals. From Ford Dearborn ignoring the potential and needs of the brand, to Ford Australia ignoring orders from Dearborn and actually hamstringing their own product in doing so, to the Australian government showing too little concern for the industry. Ultimately I think the majority of the responsibility here has to fall upon Ford Dearborn and the Australian government, because they were the ultimate authorities within their respective spheres.
    While some of this is true it must be said that just like Holden Ford of Aus tried to get export opportunities but they were knocked back by head office

Ford had the ancient Crown Vic all the while there was a modern RWD platform just sitting there

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    While some of this is true it must be said that just like Holden Ford of Aus tried to get export opportunities but they were knocked back by head office

Ford had the ancient Crown Vic all the while there was a modern RWD platform just sitting there
    I agree. A lot of folks will cite the fact that Ford Australia would sometimes quietly rebel, or in some cases not so quietly, like when they maintained the production of their I-6 engine knowing that doing so would compromise their ability to preserve the Falcon platform for lhd application on the kind of level Ford wanted them to. They will then state situations like this as a reason for Ford to 'cut off' Australia and be done with them, and indeed suggest that this is exactly what occurred. My take on this is, while doing things like this were probably not a great idea on the part of Ford Australia, I get their reasons why in many cases and can't say I would have disagreed were I in their shoes.

On the flip side, I think Ford Dearborn has to accept a large portion of the blame there because, at the time that things like this were happening, there were some obvious communication and managerial issues or they wouldn't have been discovering this stuff after the fact. I'm a big believer in managerial accountability and, when situations occur as we occasionally saw with Ford Australia, somebody with a tie on at the global HQ has some answering to do. Ultimately, I don't think that issues like this are the real reason why Ford took their ball and went home anyway.

I would have preferred that Ford tried harder to keep Australian manufacturing going, and I would have liked to have seen the Australian government do more to encourage the same. I am glad that Ford still has an engineering department in place, and I hope that can someday be used as a springboard to bring manufacturing of Ford cars back to Australia. Just my two cents from this side of the Pacific.
    Last edited by SVT74; 07-09-2018 at 12:30 AM.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information