Is Acura Working on a Premium Minivan?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Acura Working on a Premium Minivan?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 1,058 Posts

Is Acura Working on a Premium Minivan?

Spy shots at link

Here's a vehicle that nobody saw coming. Unless Honda/Acura is keen to play tricks on us, our spy shooters recently caught what appears to be an Acura minivan fully camouflaged for testing on some back roads on a rainy day.

Details on the disguised minivan are rather scarce, but it certainly bares all the hallmarks of an Acura. The front grille alone gives it away with a look that mimics the latest MDX, and note that the orientation of the rear door handle heavily suggests that it slides to open. Moving inside, the tester appears to borrow some tech from the luxury brand's parts bin too, and the Acura logo seems to be covered in tape right in the middle of the steering wheel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/10/a...van-spy-shots/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Is Acura Working on a Premium Minivan?

Acura further climbs the ladder down to obscurity.

Thanks

I'm not a fan of Acura, but I think that if this is true, they may find it to be a great idea. Building an Acura "Odyssey" could turn out to be a profitable little niche. Acura is obviously not trying to be a top tier luxury brand, as can be seen by their current offerings, but perhaps they may find a market for a premium/luxury minivan. Upper middle class moms like the versatility of the typical minivan too, but there aren't any premium "true" minivans on the market in the U.S....

It's a relatively cheap experiment for Honda/Acura to entertain. It may fail, but it shouldn't break the brand... We shall see...
    Last edited by Quixote88; 11-10-2014 at 07:54 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quixote88 For This Useful Post:

Jesda (11-11-2014),SP1966 (11-10-2014)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,128 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Acura, but I think that if this is true, they may find it to be a great idea. Building an Acura "Odyssey" could turn out to be a profitable little niche. Acura is obviously not trying to be a top tier luxury brand, as can be seen by their current offerings, but perhaps they may find a market for a premium/luxury minivan. Upper middle class moms like the versatility of typical minivan too, but there aren't any premium "true" minivans on the market in the U.S....

It's a relatively cheap experiment for Honda/Acura to entertain. It may fail, but it shouldn't break the brand... We shall see...
    Agreed, its really a no lose situation for Acura. If they find a big enough niche they make bank, if not its relatively clear that its going to be minor physical difference from the Odyssey and thus inexpensive to bring to market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote88 View Post
    I'm not a fan of Acura, but I think that if this is true, they may find it to be a great idea. Building an Acura "Odyssey" could turn out to be a profitable little niche. Acura is obviously not trying to be a top tier luxury brand, as can be seen by their current offerings, but perhaps they may find a market for a premium/luxury minivan. Upper middle class moms like the versatility of the typical minivan too, but there aren't any premium "true" minivans on the market in the U.S....

It may be profitable (but then again, they probably said the same thing about the ZDX), but is a minivan really suitable for a supposedly luxury brand? Buyers expect crossovers and SUV's from luxury brands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    It may be profitable (but then again, they probably said the same thing about the ZDX), but is a minivan really suitable for a supposedly luxury brand? Buyers expect crossovers and SUV's from luxury brands.
    My parents spent big money on a couple high Town & Country minivans over the years. If there is a market, and we don't know that yet, somebody will serve it and if Acura finds one it'll pay off big time for them for very little investment.

As for what is suitable for a luxury brand? Whatever people will pay a premium for to me is suitable even if I myself am not interested.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    My parents spent big money on a couple high Town & Country minivans over the years. If there is a market, and we don't know that yet, somebody will serve it and if Acura finds one it'll pay off big time for them for very little investment.

As for what is suitable for a luxury brand? Whatever people will pay a premium for to me is suitable even if I myself am not interested.
    The Odyssey already tops out in the high $40,000's, how much room in the niche will the Acura van have?

Thanks

The Odyssey already tops out in the high $40,000's, how much room in the niche will the Acura van have?
    The MKC tops out nearly $50K right? No reason a properly appointed premium minivan couldn't bring in the same given the right customer base.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,154 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I always wondered why no luxury makes directly entered the minivan segment, I think it's a good idea. Wealthy people have families and need space too. The controller of my company (several years ago) would occasionally drive his wife's Mazda minivan to work (and he made millions $$ + stock options each year - he could afford any vehicle he wants).

No real risk to Acura, the brand is pretty well damaged as is, a minivan wont make things worse if it fails.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (11-10-2014)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,533 Times in 3,769 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

This is a suburbanite's wet dream.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (11-10-2014),SP1966 (11-10-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    The MKC tops out nearly $50K right? No reason a properly appointed premium minivan couldn't bring in the same given the right customer base.
    An apples to apples comparison would be saying the Ford Escape tops out at X amount.

I wasn't bringing into question the value of such a product compared to different segments, but Honda already has a minivan that reaches well into luxury territory in both appointments and pricing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I always wondered why no luxury makes directly entered the minivan segment, I think it's a good idea. Wealthy people have families and need space too. The controller of my company (several years ago) would occasionally drive his wife's Mazda minivan to work (and he made millions $$ + stock options each year - he could afford any vehicle he wants).

No real risk to Acura, the brand is pretty well damaged as is, a minivan wont make things worse if it fails.
    That's exactly the problem. Moves like this will throw them into premium territory. Mercury had the Montego and Villager. Oldsmobile had the Silhouette. Buick had the Terazza.

Thanks

An apples to apples comparison would be saying the Ford Escape tops out at X amount.

I wasn't bringing into question the value of such a product compared to different segments, but Honda already has a minivan that reaches well into luxury territory in both appointments and pricing.
    Honda may have one that reaches into that territory, but it's still a Honda... For those who can afford $40k-$55k vehicles, Acura carries much more weight.

By your very same logic, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for the Lincoln brand to exist as, at this point anyway, their vehicles are nothing more than tarted up Fords, which themselves can be well appointed and priced well into traditional Lincoln territory...

That's exactly the problem. Moves like this will throw them into premium territory. Mercury had the Montego and Villager. Oldsmobile had the Silhouette. Buick had the Terazza.
    Acura is and has been squarely in the "Premium" category for years, well short of upper tier luxury makers. A more family friendly offering isn't going to change anything. And none of those minivans you cited exuded luxury or even much of a premium feel. They were the epitome of badge engineering and total abominations. Fortunately, most folks never knew the Terraza ever existed, which is good as Buick has had other hurdles to clear just to be where they are now. Acura may actually be able to deliver a luxury minivan... But who knows? It may work, it may not. But it won't hurt them in the long run as it seems Honda clearly has them situated as a "premium" brand, not a full on luxury brand, regardless of what their commercials may say. (Buick calls themselves "luxury" in their ads too, but they clearly aren't...)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 2,107 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    This is a suburbanite's wet dream.
    Meh... so was this...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Can't do more damage to the brand at this point. Throw stuff at the "A" until it sticks.
    My blog: Hidden Content

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information