The 2019 Toyota Crown Is the RWD Japanese Luxury Cruiser the Avalon Should’ve Been

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: The 2019 Toyota Crown Is the RWD Japanese Luxury Cruiser the Avalon Should’ve Been

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 812 Posts

The 2019 Toyota Crown Is the RWD Japanese Luxury Cruiser the Avalon Should’ve Been

From the guys of Jalopnik. https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-toyota...ise-1819841463

Since 1955, the Toyota Crown has been a staple of Toyota’s lineup. It’s not only one of the automaker’s oldest models, but also one of the oldest car nameplates still around today. Only a handful of models outdate it, such as the Volkswagen Beetle, Chevrolet Corvette, Mercedes-Benz SL, and of course Toyota’s own Land Cruiser. The Crown name has been around longer than the Ford Mustang, Mini, and Porsche 911.

It was also the first Toyota model exported to North America, continuing to be sold for four generations before being replaced by the Cressida. It was also used by Toyota to pioneer several new advancements—it was the first Japanese car to have a torque-converter automatic transmission called “Toyoglide”, the sixth generation was the first turbocharged Toyota passenger car, and the eighth generation was the first Toyota to be equipped with an airbag.

All of this is to say the Crown is a big deal, but in recent decades, primarily in Japan. It’s kept its rear-wheel drive layout and despite looking not far off a Camry, packs some interesting tech too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,242 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: The 2019 Toyota Crown Is the RWD Japanese Luxury Cruiser the Avalon Should’ve Bee

Its a shame its so fugly
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The 2019 Toyota Crown Is the RWD Japanese Luxury Cruiser the Avalon Should’ve Bee

I wonder how this would sale stateside.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    I wonder how this would sale stateside.
    Not well because it's ugly, expensive, and from a mainstream brand.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '17 Nissan Versa Note

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,771 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Complete with a Bucky the Beaver grille.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Its a shame its so fugly
    I think this is one I would need to see in the metal but I think apart from the very front it is alright. In my opinion that applies to the entire Lexus and Toyota car range but they still seem to sell them.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,242 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I think this is one I would need to see in the metal but I think apart from the very front it is alright. In my opinion that applies to the entire Lexus and Toyota car range but they still seem to sell them.
    The Lexus grill is awfull but many of the current Toyotas are not too bad

New Corolla looks ok and some of the Camry's
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Wow that front end is awful. And the driving dynamics sound like a small Crown Victoria. Would sell awful here in the states IMO.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Not surprisingly, a stupid comparison by Jalopnik (nothing like the Avalon or the ES).

The Crown series is actually more analogous to the GS, w/ the top Crown model, the Majesta, seen as competitor to the LS.

The Crown series far outsells the GS and LS not only in Japan, but in China as well.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Wow that front end is awful. And the driving dynamics sound like a small Crown Victoria. Would sell awful here in the states IMO.
    If it did I don’t think the driving dynamics would be the issue. Consumers don’t really want large cars that are a C7 Vette in sedan drag despite what auto rags and Internet forums would lead us to believe. Rather, they want comfortable cruisers that handle reasonably well with good power and style. The problem is that the tail has been wagging the dog with automakers too often building what they want consumers to buy rather than building what consumers actually want to buy. There is a reason the original LS400 sold so well despite a badge with no history.

Just my two cents.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information