2016 Lexus GS F - First Drive Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2016 Lexus GS F - First Drive Review

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

2016 Lexus GS F - First Drive Review

2016 Lexus GS F
    Car and Driver
    October 2015
    By: Don Sherman

F is the scarlet letter we use to mark failure or scorn. Ironically, the opposite is the case in Japan, where anything associated with that symbol commands respect. Mount Fuji is worshipped as a natural wonder. Fuji International Speedway is Japan’s version of the Nürburgring. When Toyota planned its assault on the luxury-car business in the late 1980s, Circle F was code for the Lexus LS400 flagship.
    Full article is available at the link above.

--------------------

Selling 2000 a year in the US seems a higher goal than I would have expected. I actually really like the car but it's a better 75K car than 85K car. I'm not sure what the feature mix is, so maybe it's basically "loaded" as "standard"? Still, I don't think this will draw many people out of their conventional European super sedans, and the CTS-V provides heavy competition. Plus, I imagine we'll see an SVR version of the new XF.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,906 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

Re: 2016 Lexus GS F - First Drive Review

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    2016 Lexus GS F
    Car and Driver
    October 2015
    By: Don Sherman

Full article is available at the link above.

--------------------

Selling 2000 a year in the US seems a higher goal than I would have expected. I actually really like the car but it's a better 75K car than 85K car. I'm not sure what the feature mix is, so maybe it's basically "loaded" as "standard"? Still, I don't think this will draw many people out of their conventional European super sedans, and the CTS-V provides heavy competition. Plus, I imagine we'll see an SVR version of the new XF.
    CTS V Sport competition. I'll wait for the comparison tests

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 753 Posts

$15,000 more, 40 more hp, none of the super-sexy looks, about equal Luxo rep, and a performance credential that is definitely, and I couldn't have said 10 years ago, less than the Cadillac.... I would take the Vsport. The HP really isn't even truly giving it a strong edge. Better hope Cadillac doesn't try and move the needle simply by giving the CTS an LF4ish boost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MiatsoCi For This Useful Post:

0fxxk0 (10-24-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MiatsoCi View Post
    $15,000 more, 40 more hp, none of the super-sexy looks, about equal Luxo rep, and a performance credential that is definitely, and I couldn't have said 10 years ago, less than the Cadillac.... I would take the Vsport. The HP really isn't even truly giving it a strong edge. Better hope Cadillac doesn't try and move the needle simply by giving the CTS an LF4ish boost
    Lexus may be competitive with Cadillac on the more volume oriented GS350 versus CTS 3.6, but beyond that Cadillac moves onto a different planet. I don't think the GS F's extra horsepower will lead to as much of an advantage as people might initially think, as the Cadillac CTS Vsport has some serious torque. This powertrain is in the slightly lighter, smaller RC F (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-tested-review). As you can see compared to the Vsport (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-6-test-review) it is faster than the Cadillac (mostly at higher speeds). But realistically the GS F will be a smidge slower in the same tests to the point that the GS F is IMO a tough sell next to the Cadillac. It'll be slightly quicker, but primarily at higher speeds that most people won't see and dynamically the initial reviews don't tell us enough but eh, I'm sure the Cadillac will be relatively competitive. And frankly if that extra power and dynamics is important, the CTS-V has the SAME starting price as the Lexus but with, oh, another 173 horsepower.

I do like the GS F. It looks very exotic and the V-8 will provide a nice soundtrack, and I expect the dynamics to be excellent if the standard GS F-Sports are any indication. But Lexus just didn't try enough in one category: power. In a car like this, that's an enormous mistake. Toyota's TRD division has a nice history with superchargers. Why wouldn't they bolt on a TVS to this 5.0L? That's an easy 600 horsepower. I don't get it, but earlier I had said this is much more appealing at S6 prices. Instead, it looks like it is in fact trying to compete a segment up from where it reasonably can.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 3,775 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    CTS V Sport competition. I'll wait for the comparison tests
    It costs a lot more than the V-Sport.
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks

The CTS V is priced from $84,000 to $103,000 while the GS F is priced from $85,000 according to said article.....

I don't care what people say the number one thing that people have to be looking for in a performance sedan is the performance otherwise why spend the money if you don't really care about it. Even though the performance numbers Car and Driver posted are estimated numbers and they didn't do instrumented testing this time around they are probably close. The performance gap between this Lexus and any other car in its size class is dramatic. Sure if you buy the GS F you are not getting as much performance as a BMW M5 however you are not paying BMW M5 money. You could excuse it, however with the CTS V you are paying CTS V money to get the Lexus GS F and yet you are not getting CTS V performance.

Though I do like the GS F, if this was 10 years ago the GS F would be a great competitor however in 2015 (soon to be 2016) it just can't compete.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Premium Member CaddyLac10's Avatar
    Thanks

It's very clear that the GS-F was an afterthought for Lexus. They brought a knife to a gun fight and they're trying to put a positive spin on it.

Had they priced it better and called it the F-Sport, it would have fit right in the mid-range performance sedan market (S6/Vsport/550i Msport) and no one would be questioning its position.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,906 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    It costs a lot more than the V-Sport.
    True, but power ratings say otherwise. Its kind of priced in no man's land

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

It fails to capture my attention. The GS, to me, has pedestrian looks that fit in better with mainstream midsize fwd cars vs. it's German (and Cadillac) competition. Without the looks to interest me it doesn't matter what is under its hood.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Lincoln MKT

The GS is nice,but still "Meh" to me. Now way would I choose this over a CTS Vsport ot V.

Thanks

Part of me actually sees this 85,000 USD car's competition more like:

CLS550 - $75,000 (plus the costs of options on a German luxury car)
    640i GC/650i GC - $77,000/$91,000 (plus the costs of options on a German luxury car)
    S7 - $83,000 (plus the costs of options on a German luxury car)
    XFR - $85,000 (if today's XFR-S is more of the M5 competitor - moot point since the redesigned XF doesn't yet have a SVR variant)

Whereas someone more interested in outright bragging rights performance will go for the traditional M5/E63/CTS-V/XFR-S/RS7 cars. Either way, the GS F is a peculiar option no matter what cars we're comparing it to. In order to make its performance look as competitive as possible the 650i GC M-Sport and S7 are probably the best cars to which they would want to compare it; even then Audi is in another league performance wise.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information