2014 Toyota 4Runner - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Toyota 4Runner

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2014 Toyota 4Runner

Toyota delivers a BOF midsize SUV that looks pretty good all while GM, FoMoCo, and Fiatsler have NOTHING along those lines in the USDM.
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    Toyota delivers a BOF midsize SUV that looks pretty good all while GM, FoMoCo, and Fiatsler have NOTHING along those lines in the USDM.
    ?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    The 4 runner hasnt cracked 50k since the redesign. Not good for a vehicle that used to be in the 100k. I think its got a little too big for its mission.
    The Grand Cherokee used to sell deep into the 200,000s but hasn't sold like that in many years now, and certainly not since its well received redesign. It's still a hot seller among SUVs and depicts shifting preferences away from more rugged SUVs in terms of sales. Tahoes, 4Runners, alongside others, have faced this problem (we had a topic regarding large sedan sales as well, another affected class). Still, the 4Runner is selling significantly below what its Jeep competitor is moving (it usually does) and I think part of the problem is that the 4Runner is neither advertised that much, not as roomy and comfy as a similarly priced Highlander sitting across the showroom floor, and does not stand out in content or styling, etc. But a properly executed 4Runner could probably sell 50% better, I reckon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Fuel mileage needs to come up about 5mpg hwy.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Fuel mileage needs to come up about 5mpg hwy.
    In 4WD trim it gets the same fuel economy as an Enclave, Traverse, Acadia and I don't hear anyone bitching about the fuel economy on those.

This is one of the primary reasons I want a 4Runner. If I am going to spend 40 large I might as well have a real frame for towing, real 4WD and a real truck. Plus a 4Runner is shorter and would fit better in my tight garage situation and I can still have a third-row seat in a pinch. (I know it is a tight rear third row) Seems like a perfect solution for me. It is 3/4 the price of a similar Tahoe, 3/4 size, 3/4 the capability, 3/4 the cylinders - it works for me.

GM build a darn Trailblazer with a 4.3L SIDI V6 already!
    My GM Fleet...

GMC: 2019 Canyon Denali 4WD 3.6L (cowboy Cadillac)
    2019 Acadia SLT Black Edition AWD 3.6L (commuter)
    2018 Yukon SLE 4WD 5.3L (family vacation machine)
    Pontiac: 2005 Bonneville SLE 3.8L (commuter/baby)

Proud American. Proud GMC & Pontiac Owner.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    The Grand Cherokee used to sell deep into the 200,000s but hasn't sold like that in many years now, and certainly not since its well received redesign. It's still a hot seller among SUVs and depicts shifting preferences away from more rugged SUVs in terms of sales. Tahoes, 4Runners, alongside others, have faced this problem (we had a topic regarding large sedan sales as well, another affected class). Still, the 4Runner is selling significantly below what its Jeep competitor is moving (it usually does) and I think part of the problem is that the 4Runner is neither advertised that much, not as roomy and comfy as a similarly priced Highlander sitting across the showroom floor, and does not stand out in content or styling, etc. But a properly executed 4Runner could probably sell 50% better, I reckon.
    Last two years the GC has sold 124k and 157 k. Far better than less than 50k of the 4Runner.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm not sure the 4Runner and Highlander are really "similarly priced", maybe the base models are close in price but a 4runner gets into the $40k range pretty quick while I doubt anyone spends more than $35k on a Highlander. It's probably just as well for Toyota because their profits on the Camry-based, made-in-USA Highlander must be massively more than the Made-in-Japan 4Runner that shares a frame with the Land Cruiser/GX/LX. with the historically high Yen. I think they've just put the 4Runner on the backburner because they can make a lot more money using those frames on Land Cruisers and Lexuses in China and Australia.

I really like the look of this new 4Runner though, love the agressive front end, although maybe I am biased because I just really like blocky, square Japanese cars in general.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by F14CRAZY View Post
    No, but one of those 3 have built a vehicle that shades this vehicle in every preconceived way...

You don't need BOF to tow more or to be more capable off road when you have better engineering behind the vehicle from the get-go. Thinking otherwise is not wanting the best.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Last two years the GC has sold 124k and 157 k. Far better than less than 50k of the 4Runner.
    I mentioned that the GC usually sells significantly below what the 4Runner does, and on top of that neither is selling close to what they did in their heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
    I'm not sure the 4Runner and Highlander are really "similarly priced", maybe the base models are close in price but a 4runner gets into the $40k range pretty quick while I doubt anyone spends more than $35k on a Highlander. It's probably just as well for Toyota because their profits on the Camry-based, made-in-USA Highlander must be massively more than the Made-in-Japan 4Runner that shares a frame with the Land Cruiser/GX/LX. with the historically high Yen. I think they've just put the 4Runner on the backburner because they can make a lot more money using those frames on Land Cruisers and Lexuses in China and Australia.

I really like the look of this new 4Runner though, love the agressive front end, although maybe I am biased because I just really like blocky, square Japanese cars in general.
    Even if that's true (and it might well be), they still share a similar price. ATPs are another matter altogether.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Not a fan. The Nissan Pathfinder always looked better but now it is a CUV or something.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I mentioned that the GC usually sells significantly below what the 4Runner does, and on top of that neither is selling close to what they did in their heyday.

Even if that's true (and it might well be), they still share a similar price. ATPs are another matter altogether.
    They don't compete in exactly the same market, the 4Runner use to be available with a V8 but now is only available with the I4 or V6, with tow capability topping out at 4,700lbs. Slightly less but within the same ballpark as the V6 GC or Durango. If you want a V8 tow rig from Toyota you can step up to the Sequoia, which is based on the Tundra and made in the USA so the margins are probably huge. It might be more meaningful to compare 4Runner and Sequoia sales together versus GC and Durango sales.

You can even get a TRD supercharger kit that takes the Sequoia up to 500+hp while keeping the factory warranty.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They don't compete in exactly the same market, the 4Runner use to be available with a V8 but now is only available with the I4 or V6, with tow capability topping out at 4,700lbs. Slightly less but within the same ballpark as the V6 GC or Durango. If you want a V8 tow rig from Toyota you can step up to the Sequoia, which is based on the Tundra and made in the USA so the margins are probably huge. It might be more meaningful to compare 4Runner and Sequoia sales together versus GC and Durango sales.

You can even get a TRD supercharger kit that takes the Sequoia up to 500+hp while keeping the factory warranty.
    The 4 cylinder model wasn't offered after the 2010 year. Just to clarify.
    My GM Fleet...

GMC: 2019 Canyon Denali 4WD 3.6L (cowboy Cadillac)
    2019 Acadia SLT Black Edition AWD 3.6L (commuter)
    2018 Yukon SLE 4WD 5.3L (family vacation machine)
    Pontiac: 2005 Bonneville SLE 3.8L (commuter/baby)

Proud American. Proud GMC & Pontiac Owner.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gm4life08 View Post
    The 4 cylinder model wasn't offered after the 2010 year. Just to clarify.
    Oh. Thanks.

Anyway I guess I'll walk it back a bit and clarify that I don't mean the Sequoia and GC are direct competitors, just that the 4Runner sales might be declining because other Toyota products are taking over segments of the market.

Thanks

I still classify them in the now-nearly-dead midsize off-road capable SUV category. It's not like 15 years ago the GC and 4Runner (or Pathfinder, even an Isuzu or two) weren't competitors when the GC offered a V-6 or V-8 and the 4Runner came solely with a V-6.

Oh. Thanks.

Anyway I guess I'll walk it back a bit and clarify that I don't mean the Sequoia and GC are direct competitors, just that the 4Runner sales might be declining because other Toyota products are taking over segments of the market.
    I agree with the this, however. In fact, I think that's exactly what the problem is, if not more the Highlander than the Sequoia (which I suppose gives credibility to GM introducing a large crossover instead of a truck-ish Trailblazer replacement or the new Pathfinder becoming a full-on CUV, for two examples).

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,636 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Oh. Thanks.

Its certainly not the Sequoia taking the sales. The last 3 years it hasnt cracked 14k. In a YEAR. Now, the sales could be going to the Highlander which has gained almost 40k sales a year since 2008 to top out at 121kish in 2012.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast