2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Review

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Review

GMI Staff Writer
    Thanks

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Review

From the moment we first laid eyes on the Mirage, we were pessimistic. Forgettable styling, a miniscule engine, a sub-$14k price tag and Mitsubishi's penchant for low-rent interiors -- none of it boded well for the baby Mitsubishi, nor did the fact that the Mirage was originally designed for developing markets like Thailand, where it is built.

And yet point-by-point, the Mirage makes a passable attempt to address all of our concerns.

The Mirage's body was designed for aerodynamics rather than style. The shape may be plain, but Mitsu has dressed it up with bright paint colors named by their Facebook fans: Plasma Purple, Kiwi Green, Sapphire Blue and Infra-Red. (The less-adventurous can get their Mirage in black, white, gray or silver.) 14-inch wheels – the smallest we've seen on a new car in recent memory -- and tall, skinny tires help mask the Mirage's tiny size, which is 4-inches longer than a Chevy Spark but a foot shorter than a Honda Fit.
    To read this complete review of the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage visit AutoGuide.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MrCritical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage Review

Raise your hand if you think Mitsubishi will still be in business 10 years from now in the U.S. to honor your powertrain warranty

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Quote Originally Posted by MrCritical View Post
    Raise your hand if you think Mitsubishi will still be in business 10 years from now in the U.S. to honor your powertrain warranty
    Can't figure out why Mitsubishi and PSA aren't working on more collaborative projects. A tweaked Peugeot 508 and 208 would be welcome in the US market.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

I still remember 14 inch wheels being on the highest levels of economy cars, while 13 inch was standard.

Anyway, if this becomes a sales success it would mainly be attributable to cheapness. The problem is that the car is so *blah* looking I don't think it telegraphs: "Wouldn't you like to own one? Wouldn't you like to know who made this?"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,721 Times in 4,661 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I saw a new Dart with auto advertised for 13 grand in the morning paper.

I wish these testors would include actual specs, such as overall length etc. etc. blah blah blah since their length references don't fall readily to brain.

Fourteen inch wheels were standard on some pretty big cars in the 60s and 70s. Yes, a bygone era. My 67 Catalina at something like 220" OAL, 78" wide, and sporting two tons of swoopy styling had 815.78.14 or something like that as stock.

Which is more ridiculous looking, 14-inchers on a one-tonner or 24-inchers on some idiotmobile, take your choice?

OK, this is probably a Cheap Piece of Crap. Thousands will buy them because they'll think they're getting an inexpensive car that gets incredible MPG. I just unearthed the fuel tickets from my 1994 Protege 1.6 5M, which regularly got low to mid 30s. I DID replace the standard 13" (IIRC) cardboard tires with quality 14s from Tire Rack.

Let me take a wild guess here and surmise the issue isn't so much the 14" as it is the Cheap Chinese Crap stock tires.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Yeah, I had a '92 Protege myself with the standard 1.8L and commonly got 32-34 MPG in it. It cost $11,000 new back in 1992 and I thought it was sufficiently roomy and had quality materials for the price (used it to carpool with some passengers for 45 minutes too). I put 253K miles on it.

I know some people are on a budget, but there is a point in cheapness where you really should save up for a few more months, and move up a level. I remember renting Mirages in the 1990s a few times and they were such weakly powered tin cans. At least the Protege had some verve and would scoot up mountains nicely in 3rd gear.

I don't have much faith in Mitsubishi simply from the lack of their old cars around. I do see 1990s and some 1980s Honda/Nissan/Toyo/Mazda era vehicles from time to time.

They have a sparse dealer footprint, too. What happens if you have a job change and move a few states away, then need warranty work? No thanks.
    Last edited by swagled; 09-28-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride

^^ I had a 92 LX, top of the line. I made the deal with a very good old line salesman. Came in to pick the car up, it had a sunroof which was not part of the deal. That was a great car, both the Proteges were. Only thing it needed was an OD gear, it ran 20 MPH/1000 RPM in top gear so an 80 cruise got a wee bit busy down in the engine room. Not that the car ever complained, it would do that all day.

My 94 was the cheapo model. I'd swear it had a smaller motor but the Edmunds specs say 1.8. At any rate, it was a great tearing-around car too and once I got decent tires on it it was a blast.

The 92 LX had 14" alloys and decent tires stock.

Just for ducks I drove an automatic model, but it wasn't the same car. No guts no glory, the auto really took the heart out of the car.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

Hopefully this will be successful for people wanting to buy a first car with a low price and good MPG. The only problem is that the Chevy Spark is much better at this.
    I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfn99 View Post
    Hopefully this will be successful for people wanting to buy a first car with a low price and good MPG. The only problem is that the Chevy Spark is much better at this.
    The OTHER only problem is other, more substantial cars in the same price range. AND the lack of a significant dealership network.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze Diesel

Mitsubishi has insisted that it will not pull out of the US market, and they also have some kind of CUV thing coming.

But I think they have dwindled to the point where they should just partner with someone again, and sell rebadges like they used to.

The USA is not a market where selling 60,000 vehicles a year makes sense. You will only attract marginal franchises scattered around the county, and the advertising costs are very high trying to saturate 300 million people and develop brand consciousness.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

Wow does that thing look like an afterthought. It just screams I'm driving the cheapest new car I can find.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71

My Lord, for $13,000 just go buy a Polaris RZR with 90hp and go have some fun and call it a day.
    Current:
    2013 Toyota Camry 2.5L
    2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD off-road 4x4
    2000 Silverado Vortec 4.3L w/t (250,000 miles and counting)

Past:

1995 Toyota 4x4 pick-up
    2004 Silverado Z71 ext. cab 5.3L
    2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab 6.2L
    2008 Malibu LT2

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

I loved every Mitsubishi I had, but their designs are hit and mist, and I can't say I am a fan of this more rounded, less characteristic exterior design. The Outlander and Outlander sport kind of followed this same look. They should of kept the lancer sportier design language and modernized it. Now it looks like a bad Nissan design.... The interiors are pretty basic as well. Although decent interior, going from my Lancer Evolution to my Cruze LTZ felt like the cockpit of a biplane to a fighter jet.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

maybe they should bring the technical back to this mirage hahahaha
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I just read a review that said that there are other, better cars out there...including...the Versa!?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information