2006 Honda Accord

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 2006 Honda Accord

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 boblutzfan's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy SS / 2015 / 6M

2006 Honda Accord

Here is an excellent package that has quietly hit the market. I got this from Honda's website:

EX V-6 6MT
    • 244-hp, 3.0-liter, 24-valve SOHC VTECฎ V-6 engine
    • Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™
    • 6-speed manual transmission
    • Double wishbone front suspension
    • Power-assisted ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes
    • Front side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
    • Side curtain airbags
    • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSAฎ) with traction control
    • Brake assist
    • Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
    • Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
    • Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    • Power moonroof with tilt feature
    • Security system
    • Exclusive 17" alloy wheels
    • Body-colored heated power side mirrors
    • Dual chrome exhaust finishers
    • Dual-zone automatic climate control system
    • Cruise control
    • Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel
    • Aluminum shift knob with perforated leather
    • Illuminated steering wheel-mounted cruise/audio controls
    • Tilt and telescopic steering column
    • Carbon-fiber-look interior accents
    • Map lights
    • Leather-trimmed seats and door panel inserts
    • Heated front seats
    • 180-watt AM/FM/6-disc in-dash CD premium audio system with 6 speakers
    • XMฎ Satellite Radio*
    • Maintenance Minder system

All this for only $27,300.

So if you were buying a midsize sedan with a manual transmission and had the choice between the Mazda6s, Pontiac G6 GTP or Nissan Altima 3.5SE - which would you choose.

The Honda looks pretty compelling. If you go to the Honda website, it looks like this new 6MT model will use the old Acura TL wheels. It looks really good. I fear that this will hurt any chance of the Pontiac G6 GTP with the 3.9L and 6MT of true success. The Honda is a lot of car for the money.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 silverado_13's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2006 Honda Accord

I wouldn't be too worried. The Malibu SS starts at $24,374. I know it's still missing some stuff like a 6 speed but it got the power and is 3 grand cheeper. The G6 GTP with the 3.9 is also alot cheeper at $24,610. The G6 GTP also has alot of great standard features. The Honda is alot of car for alot more money.
    And you also have to look at the whole line up. Where Pontiac offers 170hp, 200hp and 240hp Honda only offers 160hp and 240hp. I think the G6 will be a solid competitor for the Accord.

Thanks

I'd suspected that Honda would up the ante for '06 because of both the '06 Sonata and the upcoming, early-release '07 Camry.

I'm shocked at the 6-speed on the sedan, but not by all the added safety stuff, now including stability control and DRLs.

In comparison, the Malibu SS has worse fuel economy and lacks a LOT of the stuff on this Accord, including resale value. Even if you load up the SS with everything.

MORE trouble for the Malibu. Great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverado_13
    I wouldn't be too worried. The Malibu SS starts at $24,374. I know it's still missing some stuff like a 6 speed but it got the power and is 3 grand cheeper. The G6 GTP with the 3.9 is also alot cheeper at $24,610. The G6 GTP also has alot of great standard features. The Honda is alot of car for alot more money.
    And you also have to look at the whole line up. Where Pontiac offers 170hp, 200hp and 240hp Honda only offers 160hp and 240hp. I think the G6 will be a solid competitor for the Accord.
    definetly, plus the G6 GTP has 18 inch tires, stabilitrak, available panoramic sunroof, DIC, Onstar, and it has better low end torque. Finally Pontiac has a midsize car that's class competitive other than the larger, more expensive Grand Prix.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 silverado_13's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wpbharry
    I'd suspected that Honda would up the ante for '06 because of both the '06 Sonata and the upcoming, early-release '07 Camry.

I'm shocked at the 6-speed on the sedan, but not by all the added safety stuff, now including stability control and DRLs.

In comparison, the Malibu SS has worse fuel economy and lacks a LOT of the stuff on this Accord, including resale value. Even if you load up the SS with everything.

MORE trouble for the Malibu. Great.
    Somebody should create a thread comparing the two. That would make some good debate.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

Looking at IAMCANADIAN's other thread, the Pontiac is faster. It will find its market.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
    definetly, plus the G6 GTP has 18 inch tires, stabilitrak, available panoramic sunroof, DIC, Onstar, and it has better low end torque. Finally Pontiac has a midsize car that's class competitive other than the larger, more expensive Grand Prix.
    Some of those are advantages depending on the consumer. For one, having driven Hondas, the typical low-end torque deficit of their V6s compared to GMs doesn't bother me as much as some of you. And as you may or may not know, larger wheels and tires don't necessarily equate to superior performance or handling.

Still, the G6 has considerations with me. The Accord re-skin improves the car greatly, but I have to admit that the G6 is still the better answer to the styling equation. It's also one of the primary beneficiaries of GM's firmer hand on quality, as it garnered notice in this respect in its first year of production and sale, when most people are on guard for problems. And while I tend to prefer Honda powerplants, having more versatile power has never killed a V-TEC fan unless their idea of the perfect engine in a midsize car was the S2000's 2.0-liter...

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Why do people keep putting the Accord and the G6 into the same class? I didn't think that they would be competitors, because the Accord is in a different size class than the G6.... Isn't the Grand Prix the competitor for the Accord? Or, is it just that the G6 is in the same price range? Sorry, I've just been seeing this recently and It has been driving me crazy.

-Chase

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaseabryant
    Why do people keep putting the Accord and the G6 into the same class? I didn't think that they would be competitors, because the Accord is in a different size class than the G6.... Isn't the Grand Prix the competitor for the Accord? Or, is it just that the G6 is in the same price range? Sorry, I've just been seeing this recently and It has been driving me crazy.

-Chase
    It's been a while since I've seen the numbers, but when I did last, they suggested that the Malibu and G6 are better packaged to deal with Camry and Accord than their 'larger' siblings, which are actually bested by several 'smaller' cars for room in the rear...

I would also say that the G6's trim levels and options are better suited for midsize duty, too.
    Last edited by Phillip; 08-25-2005 at 05:11 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

-Chase
    the G6 is accord sized and the Grand Prix is almost large car sized at 198 inches compared to the G6's 189 Inches, I believe the Accord is 189?

Level I Members
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boblutzfan
    Here is an excellent package that has quietly hit the market. I got this from Honda's website:

EX V-6 6MT
    • 244-hp, 3.0-liter, 24-valve SOHC VTECฎ V-6 engine
    • Drive-by-Wire Throttle System™
    • 6-speed manual transmission
    • Double wishbone front suspension
    • Power-assisted ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes
    • Front side airbags with passenger-side Occupant Position Detection System (OPDS)
    • Side curtain airbags
    • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSAฎ) with traction control
    • Brake assist
    • Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
    • Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD)
    • Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
    • Power moonroof with tilt feature
    • Security system
    • Exclusive 17" alloy wheels
    • Body-colored heated power side mirrors
    • Dual chrome exhaust finishers
    • Dual-zone automatic climate control system
    • Cruise control
    • Perforated leather-wrapped steering wheel
    • Aluminum shift knob with perforated leather
    • Illuminated steering wheel-mounted cruise/audio controls
    • Tilt and telescopic steering column
    • Carbon-fiber-look interior accents
    • Map lights
    • Leather-trimmed seats and door panel inserts
    • Heated front seats
    • 180-watt AM/FM/6-disc in-dash CD premium audio system with 6 speakers
    • XMฎ Satellite Radio*
    • Maintenance Minder system

All this for only $27,300.

So if you were buying a midsize sedan with a manual transmission and had the choice between the Mazda6s, Pontiac G6 GTP or Nissan Altima 3.5SE - which would you choose.

The Honda looks pretty compelling. If you go to the Honda website, it looks like this new 6MT model will use the old Acura TL wheels. It looks really good. I fear that this will hurt any chance of the Pontiac G6 GTP with the 3.9L and 6MT of true success. The Honda is a lot of car for the money.
    Aside for the 6speed manual (l like autos) you really can't get much better than the Accord.

Thanks

-Chase
    Chase, it's Friday learning day.

GM has admitted that it considers the Malibu as the primary competitor for the Camry and new Sonata. The G6 is its weapon against the Accord.

The Impala, Grand Prix and LaCrosse are without competition, being "tweeners" (not mid-sized, not full), and have really no place in a modern manufacturer's lineup (their plaforms are ancient, dating back to 1988). Yet, they still sell well. To folks living in the past or those needing a big trunk, the former as most of GMs top brass still do. One day, they'll be replaced. Don't hold your breath. Malibu and G6 are FAR superior platforms. But already toast, by the competition. Unless big dollars kick in.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,002 Times in 4,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

-Chase
    IMO they are all competitors: Camry, Accord, Malibu, G6, Sonata, Avalon, Impala, Grand Prix, LaCrotch, Altima, Mazda6, Galant, 500, 300...
    They are all within a foot in length, a few hundred pounds, a few thousand bucks, and finally and primarily they all serve the same purpose: Daily driver four door sedan, $17,000-$30,000 out the door.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information