06 Civic Si complete info and pics

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 06 Civic Si complete info and pics

Thanks

06 Civic Si complete info and pics

Well here it is and a day before the embargo ends. This car is looking pretty good.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...icle_id=396413

For me, I've been comparing the new Si to the Solstice, and I think the new Si will deliver more fun than the Solstice with more HP with iVTEC at about the same curb wieght. The Si delivers sports car performance with alot more practicality with the trunk and 5 passenger seating and flip down rear seats for cargo. I would think the Solstice would be lighter considering it offers so much less. It's hard to beat the Solstice on exterior styling. Aesthetically, While the solstice is retro in a Porshe Spyder kind of way, the Si is a very fine contemporary design.
    Last edited by Ridge1; 08-31-2005 at 01:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: 06 Civic Si complete info and pics

Does the aluminum on the steering wheel remind anyone of anything lol? Maybe they are looking for an even larger share of the male market:

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 SonicAerio's Avatar
    Thanks

This will make a direct competitor of the Scion Tc....lets hope price wise it's around that

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I don't see this turning around Hondas slump

Thanks

That steering wheel is hilarious. The whole interior is a boy racer's wet dream.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge1
    For me, I've been comparing the new Si to the Solstice
    That seems like an odd comparison. Wouldn't the Cobalt SS be more of a direct competitor? Or are you saying you are trying to choose which one to actually purchase?

Thanks

Honda really designed this to be a performance street machine. They say at 5800rpm the engine sounds just like the NSX as it crosses the VTEC threshold so the driver knows when VTEC kicks in. Also the manual is short throw as well as the clutch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Slim
    That seems like an odd comparison. Wouldn't the Cobalt SS be more of a direct competitor? Or are you saying you are trying to choose which one to actually purchase?
    These are what I'm trying to decide between. I think they compare because they are both performance oriented, same price point, same curb weight.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

October issue of R & T did a review of the new Si. They said the tranny was very nice, which didn't surprise me. A Cobalt SS SC will eat this thing off the line.

I have mixed feelings about the interior. I do like the fact that Honda took a step out of the ordinary, and did something kinda cool. On the other hand, that steering wheel is a joke. I would have much rather seen the 3-spoke wheel from the RSX make its way to the Si.

Overall, not too bad.

Thanks

^ If you hate that steering wheel, you should see the one in the sedan - two spokes!

Thanks

Liking this car, although I now can't help feeling that it hints at Acura more than the RSX...

AJR
    3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I am beginning to like the exterior styling, but the interior...wow, what can I say?

The Si is a decent looking coupe (I like the blue one), but with a questionable interior. In all, though, I think Honda will do well with the new Civic. They should have given it a better interior, though, but I think there is enough for people to like.

Thanks

The interior is completely bizarre, but maybe it'll grow on me. Love the exterior though, probably my favorite coupe in its class were I to base it solely on the exterior.

Thanks

the exterior is nice.

the interior is just really wierd.....

it kind of reminds me of a big video game controller.... (that gigantic Xbox mechassault or whatever controller comes to mind)

Thanks

Good review at Edmunds. This sounds like one fun racing machine. I love the interior as well as the exterior.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...leId=107050#17

Not a Hot Hatch Anymore
    Unlike its predecessor, which was a slow and homely-looking hatchback with a meager redline and the agility of an elderly woman, this Si is a quick (Honda says it'll accelerate to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds), fun-to-fling-around coupe, with sharp lines and the most sharply raked windshield in Honda's history. Yes, sharper than even the NSX's.

And it revs. Oh brother, does it rev. Redline is eight thou, and the engine flies past that mark with such willingness Honda has set the rev limiter at a hold-on-to-your-connecting-rods 8,500 rpm.

Honda has also made the new car 9.1 inches longer, 2.2 inches wider and 3.2 inches lower than a 2005 Si. And it rides on a 3.1-inch-longer wheelbase (104.3 inches), which it shares with the Civic coupe, but not the sedan. For the first time, the Civic sedan and coupe don't share a wheelbase. The sedan's is 2 inches longer. (We'll post a first drive of the 2006 Civic Coupe, Sedan and Hybrid next week.)

Those new dimensions have added 95 pounds to the Si's curb weight, and have swiped almost 3 inches of rear legroom. Unless you hang with supermodels and NBA stars, the car's backseat remains usable. And let's face it, if you're driving a Civic, even an Si, you ain't hangin' with Tyra and Shaq.

Honda says it can seat five. Good luck with that.

The trunk is smaller, too, down to 11.5 cubic feet. But remember, the last Si was a hatchback, this one is a proper coupe. The previous Civic coupe's trunk had 12.9 cubic feet of space.

Animal Sounds
    As another mutation of the Honda's K-Series engine family, the new car's engine is an all-aluminum 2.0-liter with double overhead cams, 16 valves and four cylinders. It shares a basic architecture, an 11-to-1 compression ratio and Honda's i-VTEC valve-control system with the 2.0-liter that's been powering the Acura RSX Type-S since 2001, but a balance shaft for additional smoothness and throttle-by-wire are unique to the Si's engine.

Honda also designed a special short, single cast-aluminum intake manifold for the Si with an extra-large 70mm intake duct. Honda says it boosts high-rpm power and is partly responsible for the car's unique sound. To enhance that sound the intake duct was routed inside the fender to take advantage of the body panel's acoustics. According to Honda, the panel amplifies the intake sound, which is probably why we could hear the Si ripping down the back straight from pit road.

You can feel i-VTEC doing its thing, first changing the engine's feel and tone at 3,000 rpm and again at 6,000 rpm. Despite the engine's tendency to hold onto revs when you close the throttle (a slight annoyance tuned into the electronic throttle), there isn't a better normally aspirated four-banger in the world.

An even 200 was the planned horsepower rating, but the new SAE ratings system cut that number back to 197 hp at 7,800 rpm. Torque is up to 139 pound-feet at 6,200 rpm. The EPA rates it at 22 mpg city and 31 mpg highway, and it drinks premium. The engine in the 2006 RSX Type-S will be rated at 201 hp at 7,800 rpm and 140 lb-ft of torque at 7,000 rpm.

Both cars also use a version of the same six-speed manual transmission, which is the only gearbox offered in the Si. The Si's version of the transmission gets a taller 6th for more relaxed highway cruising, and redesigned cones and synchros for reduced shift effort.

But here's the best part: A helical limited-slip differential is standard equipment.

Racetrack-Ready
    And on the racetrack, that diff makes all the difference. The Si would handle well without it, but it may be the best handling front-wheel-drive car we've ever tossed around because of it. Carry too much speed into a corner and the Si understeers like any other front driver, but you can easily correct your mistake by burying your foot in the throttle.

Yes, you floor it. The Si's differential transmits more torque to the outside tire which has the most grip. This immediately tightens your line and gets you around the turn faster looking like a hero.

Of course the LSD doesn't make magic alone. The Si shares its MacPherson-strut front suspension and multilink double-wishbone suspension with the rest of the Civic line, but the Si gets increased spring rates, stiffer dampers, and larger, solid antiroll bars. It also gets unique 17-inch wheels and all-season Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires standard. The cars we drove wore the optional summer tire, which is the same size as the standard rubber, only stickier.

The combination supplies a firm, but very livable ride on the street and Deney Terrio dance moves on the racetrack. Grip is high, body roll is very well controlled, as is brake dive, and the feel and ratio of the electric power steering is right on. Its larger front and rear disc brakes also felt good and failed to fade significantly after 10 hard laps.

Office Depot
    The interior is where our over-the-top enthusiasm for the Si wanes a little.

But first, the good: After only a few miles of Illinois farm road it was clear that control placement and visibility are excellent, as are the seats, the three-spoke steering wheel and perfectly placed aluminum pedals.

The list of standard and optional equipment is also impressive. Power everything, keyless entry, a tilt and telescopic steering wheel, ABS, side curtain airbags, a sunroof, a rear spoiler, air conditioning, cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel, a fold-down rear seat, a 360-watt sound system with CD player, MP3/MPA capability, and an auxiliary audio port are all included for the "less than $20,000" price. A navigation system with voice recognition is available for the first time, and the dealers can sell you 18-inch wheels and tires.

So where's the problem? Right in front of the driver.

Honda chose to divide up the gauges, leaving the traditional analog tachometer in the traditional location, viewed through the steering wheel, and placing a digital speedometer and digital gas and temperature gauges up at the base of the windshield. Honda calls it a two-tier instrument panel and says the design places the speedometer up high in the driver's field of vision.

We think it looks kind of silly, but our problem with it isn't purely aesthetic. In our preferred seating position, which is different for everyone, the rim of the steering wheel completely blocked the upper-tier gauges from view. Uh, hello?

Whatever. Maybe the kids will like it.

The Si Is Back
    After driving the Si on the road and racetrack, we agree with page 4 of the 2006 Honda Civic press kit, which states, "Bottom line, the 2006 Civic Si is the best handling, best performing Civic to ever touch tire to asphalt in America."

And the price is right. Not only is it a whole lot less than a membership to the Autobahn Country Club, it will be between $3,500 and $5,000 less than an RSX Type-S.

Save the cash. When the Si hits this fall, the only folks still buying the Acura will be the badge-conscious and lovers of leather seats. Their issues, their loss.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information