"What if..." The Life of a Brand New Oldsmobile

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "What if..." The Life of a Brand New Oldsmobile

Thanks

"What if..." The Life of a Brand New Oldsmobile

What if SAAB started to be sold only in Europe? Everyone who has a 9-3 XWD loves it, so the 9-3's AWD system has to go somewhere in the United States. Oh, and the luxo-sportiness has to go somewhere, too.

Enter a triumphant return of Oldsmobile. Everyone thinks that getting rid of the age-old Oldsmobile nameplate was a bad idea. So, I say - bring it back! The first car to be brought back...hmm...let's make it everyone's favorite discontinued sedan...the Aurora!

Offered in three trim levels - 3.6, 3.6 Premium, and 3.6 Accel (essentially the new-age OSV), the Aurora brings to the game a not-so-big-but-not-so-small sedan body, unsurpassed sportiness and luxury for the money, the awesome XWD system straight from SAAB, and more.

3.6/Premium are powered by GM's 3.6L DIV6, detuned to 280HP but tuned up for fuel economy. 3.6 Accel plugs a turbocharger in there, Boosting output to 360HP, pushing the Aurora to 60 in about the same time as a Pontiac G8 GXP.

So, may I present...

Comments?
    Last edited by A.J.; 11-07-2008 at 08:46 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,308 Times in 4,035 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: "What if..." The Life of a Brand New Oldsmobile

I think olds would only survive and do well if it went retro, high content, and global

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

It's pretty sweet. A little chubby though.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I think olds would only survive and do well if it went retro, high content, and global
    Like I said, this is another "What if..." thing.

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65
    A little chubby though.
    I just realized that I forgot to make a protrusion for the back bumper!
    Last edited by A.J.; 08-01-2008 at 02:55 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, I get the "What if" thing...

But this looks an awful lot like a Saturn in some ways.

If Olds came back, I'd give it some slim, led headlamps and unique, led pipe tail lamps. Seems to need to lose some chunky-ness just a bit. Aurora sounds too much like Aura. I'd call this Alero, or perhaps Cutlass and pair it with a Coupe.

Nice overall design though. Love the idea of "What if" Olds came back. That'd be cool for sure.
    Last edited by ZHDesign57; 08-05-2008 at 03:23 AM.
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZHDesign57 View Post

But this looks an awful lot like a Saturn in some ways.

If Olds came back, I'd give it some slim, led headlamps and unique, led pipe tail lamps. Seems to need to lose some chunky-ness.

Nice overall design though.
    I actually love the 2001-03 Aurora's styling, which is why I stuck to evolutionary styling as opposed to revoultionary/retro styling. I'll make some revisions to the headlamps and taillamps - it's easy because I use a pencil(GrandPrix08 ), and post it again.

More's coming from "What if..." Part Deux, including an Alero and this Aurora's inside.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

I think this Aurora looks nice.. The Aurora should have moved on to another brand. It was too nice a vehicle to have been chopped and forgotten about...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

I liked the Aurora's styling too, but yeah, the only thing that keeps me thinking Saturn on this car is the headlights and tailights. I love the rest for the most part.

Great drawing btw.
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by ZHDesign57 View Post
    I liked the Aurora's styling too, but yeah, the only thing that keeps me thinking Saturn on this car is the headlights and tailights. I love the rest for the most part.

Great drawing btw.
    The Aurora was the one Oldsmobile that fit right in next to Cadillacs at dealerships...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    The Aurora was the one Oldsmobile that fit right in next to Cadillacs at dealerships...
    I intend to keep it that way - with some new details!

The headlights have been revised to be less shot out to the sides and more curved into the middle. The taillights have also been changed, with the brake lights being five separate LEDs, in a "light tube" fashion. The side mirrors have also been changed - the new mirrors are inspired by the first-gen Aurora.

Aurora interior and Alero coming shortly.
    Last edited by A.J.; 08-06-2008 at 03:16 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I intend to keep it that way - with some new details!

The headlights have been revised to be less shot out to the sides and more curved into the middle. The taillights have also been changed, with the brake lights being five separate LEDs, in a "light tube" fashion. The side mirrors have also been changed - the new mirrors are inspired by the first-gen Aurora.

Aurora interior and Alero coming shortly.
    So far I really like it. The 5 LED light tubes for the taillights sound really nice.. You should do a front and rear shot of this vehicle as well..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    So far I really like it. The 5 LED light tubes for the taillights sound really nice.. You should do a front and rear shot of this vehicle as well..
    That's the plan - as soon as I'm finished with the Alero, I'm going to make a front 3/4 of the Aurora.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    What if SAAB started to be sold only in Europe? Everyone who has a 9-3 XWD loves it, so the 9-3's AWD system has to go somewhere in the United States. Oh, and the luxo-sportiness has to go somewhere, too.

Enter a triumphant return of Oldsmobile. Everyone thinks that getting rid of the age-old Oldsmobile nameplate was a bad idea. So, I say - bring it back! The first car to be brought back...hmm...let's make it everyone's favorite discontinued sedan...the Aurora!

Offered in three trim levels - 3.6, 3.6 Premium, and 3.6 Accel (essentially the new-age OSV), the Aurora brings to the game a not-so-big-but-not-so-small sedan body, unsurpassed sportiness and luxury for the money, the awesome XWD system straight from SAAB, and more.

3.6/Premium are powered by GM's 3.6L DIV6, detuned to 280HP but tuned up for fuel economy. 3.6 Accel plugs a turbocharger in there, Boosting output to 360HP, pushing the Aurora to 60 in about the same time as a Pontiac G8 GXP.

So, may I present...

Comments?
    AJ:

The "Witch of Endor" has a better chance of bringing up the ghost of your Great great Grandfather, than GM has of resurrecting anything from Oldsmobile.

Guy's: Oldsmobile their cars and concepts are dead and gone, there's not enough money in the World to bring it back! Let's concentrate on what's available today.

Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post
    AJ:

The "Witch of Endor" has a better chance of bringing up the ghost of your Great great Grandfather, than GM has of resurrecting anything from Oldsmobile.

Guy's: Oldsmobile their cars and concepts are dead and gone, there's not enough money in the World to bring it back! Let's concentrate on what's available today.

Maybe one day we'll have a Cadillac Aurora.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAULSTS1 View Post

Ah, but that's exactly why I'm doing this series of drawings! The "What if..."s that blow into our minds...I'm doing this series of drawings because they will never happen!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information