UPDATED!!! Survey! Influence Chevy's design future with your opinions!!! (Project)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATED!!! Survey! Influence Chevy's design future with your opinions!!! (Project)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

Cool UPDATED!!! Survey! Influence Chevy's design future with your opinions!!! (Project)

I am doing a project sort of like GMI's "Revitilization in Action" project with Chevrolet Cars. (but this is not, i repeat, not a GMI sponsored or affiliated project. Do not contact GMI staff members about this project as this is my doing only.)
    Except I am calling mine "Revolutionary Thinking: The Chevy of 2013."
    The Cars will be hand-drawn- but your opinion will influence the line-up, styling, platforms, and direction for Chevrolet. The Cars will be set for the year 2013, so keep this in mind as well. This is only a project, but it will be a fun one. So let me hear your opinions and lets redesign Chevrolet!

Cars due for a redesign near 2013: (Note: name of cars in red may be dropped due to importance)

Impala near 2013
    Corvette 2011
    Malibu 2012
    Aveo near 2013
    Traverse near 2013
    Equinox near 2013
    Silverado near 2013
    Colorado near 2010
    Colbalt near 2010
    Volt 2013?
    Camaro 2013
    HHR 2011
    Avalanche/Tahoe/Suburban near 2013

Cars that may be added to the line-up due to GM decisions: (Tenative)

Stingray (kappa roadster)
    El Camino (Holden Ute) (May replace Colorado)
    Avalanche replacement? (Unibody truck to compete with Honda Ridgeline)
    Chevelle

Questions!!!!: Answer Truthfully:

1. Do you think a 2008 Malibu as a 2-dr coupe would be acceptable as a Chevelle? (Answer this question as if they were going to make one as a 2009 model.)

2. Should the Chevrolet Traverse be more like the Acadia & Outlook (Square) or Enclave? (Curvy)

3. Would you like the design of the Camaro's headlights to be used as inspiration for other Chevy headlights? Explain if Heavily or Lightly inspired or no. This would be a melding of the SS concepts' headlights look and the Camaro's.

4. Volt in four door only or a coupe and convertible as well?

5. Would you like it if the Camaro's grille influenced the Corvette's Grille?

6. Chevrolet's new two port grille is attractive and corporate, Are you for more flexibility in the new two port grille? (not so square.)

7. Are you for glass roofs on Chevrolets?

8. Do you like the Chevrolet SS concept? Explain briefly.

9. Which 3 current Chevy models would you drop?

10. What 3 types of models/models do you think Chevy should add? (Answer this question as if the Traverse, Camaro and Volt were already out.)

11. Pick 3 of these names that you think would sound good on a new Chevy for 2013: Surge, Spark, Stealth, Revolution, Revolt or suggest your ideas for a few names, but pick three.

12. Name 3 concept cars from the recent past (Go back no further than 10 years) Nomad, Bel Air, Borrego, SS, etc. that you would like to see redone, and possibly become a part of the Chevy line-up. (There will be 2 concept vehicles for this project.)

13. Under the heading near the top of the page under "Cars that may be added to the line-up due to GM decisions" which appeal and do not appeal to you?

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this survey and I want you to know that your opinion counts toward my project!!! The finished project should be displayed sometime within the late Nov-Dec area. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ZHDesign57; 10-23-2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: update
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Survey! Influence Chevy's design future with your opinions!!! (Project)

1. sure, if its a rwd muscle car. although it doesnt look anything like the old one. if they did that it would be better to do it like they did the camaro.

2. it should be a minivan. curvy too.

3. no, the camaro should look like itself. no need to bring design cues from it to other cars. the ss could be used though.

4. volt in any shape and form- the more the better.

5. no.

6. sure

7. yes, as an option, but not standard.

8. yes

9. none, they need them all. just need to make them better

10. a subcompct (like a smart), el camino (gm in general, not necessarily chevy), and a minivan

11. spark for a subcompact volt, cheyenne for the ridgeline fighter, and i cant think of a third

12. nomad (magnum fighter, unless they make a g8 wagon), silverado 427 concept, t2x looks cool

13. the el camino. ridgeline wouldnt replace the avy. theyre not the same
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

Thanks

1. No

2. Curvy (kind of a blend of Silverado & Malibu)

3. No (Camaro & Corvette should be distinct from rest of lineup)

4. The Volt (or at least it's technology) should be applied to as many designs as possible

5. NO (Camaro and Corvette should be distinct)

6. So long as it fits in with the general "Chevy" lineup, sure.

7. So long as it is safe, sure

8. Yes. (don't know enough to say more)

9. Equinox (the rest should stay in some form)

10. BRING BACK THE TRAILBLAZER!!! (no minivans please)

11. Hydra (hydrogen if it happens), I'd like to see Caprice return as a large RWD, drawing a blank otherwise

12. Holden Efjay as super Halo Car (in my magical fantacy land), at least one of the 3 Kei cars from last year to replace the Aveo, ditto on the Silverado 427

13. El Camino = good, replacing the Avalanche = BAD. Chevy needs both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

1. No. The Accord and Altima coupes will be good enough for this segment. But IF a Malibu coupe were to be made, and it used the Malibu's front sheetmetal, then simply call it a Malibu Coupe.
    2. Traverse should just look "Chevrolet", whether it be curvy or boxy
    3. Nah, I think each model should have its own headlight shape, and let the grille identify it as a Chevy.
    4. Sedan only. Greenies go for practicality.
    5. Not necessarily. But I really wish Chevrolet would quit redesigning the '68 Stingray over and over and over again.
    6. Sure, as long as the overall look is consistent with all models.
    7. No. Glass is very heavy and very expensive.
    8. Not only do I like the SS concept, I hate GM for not producing it. Hell even a watered-down SS would likely be a stunner.
    9. None. The Trailblazer's likely on its way out by 2010, and the Avalanche is an expendable niche model, but sells decently. Leave everything else.
    10. Replace the Equinox with a) Captiva-sized CRV fighter and b) 7-seat crossover to slot between Captiva and Traverse. Possibilities for a third model would include a RWD sporty Impala or a 7-seat Zafira-type wagon (assuming Saturn wouldn't get it instead), or better yet, a Zafira-type MPV, but Malibu-sized instead of Astra-sized. Would make a good Malibu Maxx replacement.
    11. This isn't so cut and dry, as some names aren't appropriate for certain models. Spark's already used globally, so GM couldn't use it for the Volt if they plan to flog it worldwide. Revolt is rather unwise for a car name. Stealth's too close to the retired Dodge model. I like "Optra" for a compact sedan, "Recon" for a sporty crossover, "Signal" for a midsize crossover, "Cheyenne" for a unibody Avalanche replacement (good thinking chakis24), "Move" for an MPV type wagon. Some other model names I've toyed with include "Anthem" (suitable for just about any kind of model), "Arena" (SUV or truck), "Ceres" (sedan), "Curve" (sporty coupe), "Gen-X" (something funky), "Machete" (sports), "Nimbus" (Minivan/MPV), "Sentinal", "Shiraz", "Tico" (minicompact).
    12. Nomad, SS, Cheyenne, possibly Borrego.
    13. Pontiac's getting the Holden Ute, so it's out. Stingray would only work as a V8-only model to prevent Solstice/Sky overlap. I'd go for an Avalanche replacement and maybe a production version of the SS concept as a Chevelle.

vsd
    Thanks

1. No.
    2. Keep it unique, distinguish it from a buick and the gmc/saturn. That or continue the tradition and rebadge the GMC and slap on a Chevy grill.
    3. No.
    4. 4 door only, convertible adds unneccessary weight on a car that should be as light as possible.
    5. No, they should be kept distinct from each other, and Vette's should have a pointed nose.
    6. sure, why not.
    7. Depends, will it add unwanted weight?
    8. Yes, I like its "4 door coupe" look, like that Merc.
    9. Uplander(obvious), Trailblazer(BOF midsize suv's are all but dead, and are being replaced by CUV's), Cobalt(make something that is superior to at least Hyundai), Colorado(bring back the s-10, or make something that can compete w/ Toyota and Nissan).
    10. A Mazda 5 style mini-mini van, let the Traverse handle the regular minivan niche. A city car like the Smart that runs on e-flex. A Ridgeline competitor, it makes a lot more sense for most people that'll only use it to haul the occasional piece of furniture than having a bof truck.
    11. Stealth to piss off Dodge. Revolt because it doesn't sound revolting at all. And surge, cause who doesn't want the image of your car frying itself after a power outage.
    12. SS
    13. The unibody truck, the rest don't appeal to me.

Thanks

1. No. If anything in the coming lineup would come CLOSE to the Chevelle, it would be the Camaro.

2. It should take the best design elements from the Acadilook and the Enclave and give them a Chevrolet theme.

3. No. The Camaro is a design all its own. If any headlights should be used, they should be similar to the Malibu.

4. 4-door only.

5. No.

6. Absolutely, as long as the grille looks similar to the Malibu's and it doesn't go as overboard as the new Aveo5.

7. Only for the Corvette.

8. It's alright. I hated the grille of the original SS concept though.

9. Uplander, Trailblazer, Aveo.

10. A RWD Impala of course, a true minivan replacement to the Uplander, and a large FWD sedan (a la Toyota Avalon size).

11. Lumina, Stealth, Cheyenne.

12. Nomad, Bel Air, and Cheyenne.

13. Stingray does, El Camino does not (only because there isn't a market for it anymore).
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

Thanks

1. I believe a coupe off the LWB Epsilon would look rather awful (see Pontiac G6 with its long rump), I'd leave the coupe market to Pontiac (Alpha?) and Camaro. I also believe that, although it is storied and all, the Chevelle is one of the names that should not be resurrected...

2. The Outlook already looks like a rebadged Chevrolet, so I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel here. Rather focus on desigining an Astro minivan to complement it.

3. Depends on the execution, I guess - I can hardly imagine those on an Aveo or Tahoe...

4. Kill Volt - create practical hybrids for every model. Until 2013, nobody will remember why people got so worked-up about the Prius.

5. Can't see that.

6. First and foremost - avoid looking "grafted on"/"like a giant wart" (Malibu) or outright ridiclous (Aveo)

7. Why not?

8. I like it because it has very good proportions, nice front and rear ends (the greenhouse not so much). I also believe those are absolutely untransferrable to Chevrolet cars except perhaps for the Corvette.

9a. Trailblazer if Shebrah Lay gets the Lambda - quite obviously. I believe, though, that a BOF off-roader (GMT335-based?) should continue as GMC, perhaps GMC Safari? OTOH, the Blazer name is perfect for bringing back a true off-roader...

9b. Impaler once Malibu settles in - no need for two large midsize cars, and I believe that Chev should leave the very large car market to Buick.

9c. Rest is OK (though they might consider moving Suburban to GMC when demand for very large trucks fades and in general cutting GMC/Chevy overlap so they could be sold at the same dealerships).

9PS. I am assuming the Uplander is already dead - though I believe a replacement should be coming...

10. Did I mention not to add Volt? Anyway, obviously a regular-size minivan (Astro, think GM Sequel concept OR Vivaro) and don't forget Chevrolet is a global brand now, so you need to think of a Spark replacement, a compact hatchback and wagon (Lacetti now) and a midsize wagon, for starters. Oh, I also think Chevrolet should add a "leisure activity"/LCV in the mold of Skoda Roomster, Renault Kangoo and Fiat Fiorino.

11. Only the Spark is remotely appropriate - the rest are absolutely not! Some ideas from the past/present - Viva, Nova, Lova, Vega for small cars (Aveo/Spark replacements), and of course Astro for minivan I also like Chevrolet Montana and Tornado (another vehicle you have to keep in mind!). The LCV could be called "Venture".

12. I don't care that much about concepts - I would like Chevrolets to get some more expressive looks, like adopting the HHR cues for trucks...

13. Stingray? Well, it would be nice to see the Stingray back, and a Corvette for pennies, but aren't there too many Kappas? Besides, with other brands starved for models, wouldn't Chevy be getting too many "specialties". If anything, the Stingray should be a coupe or targa.

Unibody Avalanche replacement - sure thing, aids CAFE potently.

El Camino - for sure not a Colorado replacement, keep Colorado, there is a huge worldwide market for smaller pickups. I also believe it would be a rather niche vehicle atm, I'd keep it a Pontiac (Pontiac Ute?)

Chevelle - and what would that be?

Thanks

1. No, they made a Malibu Coupe too in the day.

2. Give it it's own shape. No more cookie cutters please.

3. No, the camaro looks like a camaro and thats that.

4. Four door only.

5. Absolutely not.

6. Yes. Corporate design cues are fine. But different variations on it are better

7. If you mean sunroofs, well sure.

8. Hell yeah.

9. n/a

10. more wagon versions of current models, malibu, impala etc.

11. no opinion

12. SS/Borrego/Nomad

13. Under the heading near the top of the page under "Cars that may be added to the line-up due to GM decisions" which appeal and do not appeal to you?
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Ok, I'm seeing "Revolutions in Action" as a bit too close for comfort to our Revitalization in Action feature articles. I just want to make sure there's a clear distinction between this and that it's not a GMI sponsored or affiliated endeavor.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZHDesign57
    Cars that may be added to the line-up due to GM decisions: (Tenative)

Questions!!!!: Answer Truthfully:

1. Do you think a 2008 Malibu as a 2-dr coupe would be acceptable as a Chevelle? (Answer this question as if they were going to make one as a 2009 model.)
    No. It will be an even bigger flop than the GTO and SSR were. It needs to be a RWD coupe or hardtop.

2. Should the Chevrolet Traverse be more like the Acadia & Outlook (Square) or Enclave? (Curvy)
    It is going to be curvy. I think it should've been sqaured off more.

3. Would you like the design of the Camaro's headlights to be used as inspiration for other Chevy headlights? Explain if Heavily or Lightly inspired or no. This would be a melding of the SS concepts' headlights look and the Camaro's.
    It depends how well they carry it out, but the Camaro needs to be distinctly Camaro.

I think the more bodystyle available the better.

NO. The Corvette always has, and should be, distinct from the Camaro.

6. Chevrolet's new two port grille is attractive and corporate, Are you for more flexibility in the new two port grille? (not so square.)
    Yes, if it is carried out correctly.

It depends what models. On the Vette and panoramic sunroof on the Traverse is fine.

No. It's too bulbous. The idea is there, but the execution is a bit bulbous for my liking. Perhaps if it looked more like the Interceptor or Holden Commodore/VXR-8 it would work.

Impala, Aveo sedan, Uplander, an Express.

10. What 3 types of models/models do you think Chevy should add? (Answer this question as if the Traverse, Camaro and Volt were already out.)
    RWD 2 seat Solstice/Sky roadster; 7 seat Zafira type vehicle, and a small coupe similar to the Lotus Europa.

11. Pick 3 of these names that you think would sound good on a new Chevy for 2013: Surge, Spark, Stealth, Revolution, Revolt or suggest your ideas for a few names, but pick three.
    Spark
    Statesman
    Handyman

12. Name 3 concept cars from the recent past (Go back no further than 10 years) Nomad, Bel Air, Borrego, SS, etc. that you would like to see redone, and possibly become a part of the Chevy line-up. (There will be 2 concept vehicles for this project.)
    Bel Air
    Nomad
    dunno what else

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this survey and I want you to know that your opinion counts toward my project!!! The finished project should be displayed sometime within the Oct-Nov area. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!

I hope my answers are good enough.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

1) Not even close.

2) Square that way the Buick stays a little more differentiated.

3) It depends...maybe.

4) 4 door, but if it sells like mad make a 2 door and a vert for the fun factor.

5) No, the Corvette does not need that. It would cheapen the look of the Vette.

6) I'm open to new designs.

7) As long as Chevy provides sun shades to put in them b/c the sun will bake your brains out during the summer time (which in TX is April - October).

8) Its okay. It really does not interest me that much for some reason.

9) Equinox, Trailblazer, and thats it.

10) I'd go with a rwd Impala, a good class winning Aveo, and a duramax 1/2 ton truck with 6 speed transmission.

11) As long as its not some alphanumeric crap, I can live with virtually anything lol.

12) Nomad and Bel Air

13) Stingray and Chevelle, I could careless about the other two b/c I don't like El Caminos or Avalanches at all.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChevroletRevived
    Ok, I'm seeing "Revolutions in Action" as a bit too close for comfort to our Revitalization in Action feature articles. I just want to make sure there's a clear distinction between this and that it's not a GMI sponsored or affiliated endeavor.
    I agree with ChevroletRevived, the title needs to change a little bit more. It is too close to the GMI project.

sorry
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak
    I agree with ChevroletRevived, the title needs to change a little bit more. It is too close to the GMI project.

sorry
    Sorry about that, I added a notice at the begining of the thread and renamed the project:

"Revolutionary Thinking: The Chevy of 2013"

Great Start!!! Lets hear some more surveys so I can get some designs down!
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZHDesign57
    Sorry about that, I added a notice at the begining of the thread and renamed the project:

"Revolutionary Thinking: The Chevy of 2013"

Great Start!!! Lets hear some more surveys so I can get some designs down!
    Ok, thank you.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

1. Do you think a 2008 Malibu as a 2-dr coupe would be acceptable as a Chevelle? As a 2009 model, perhaps but it needs more..balls..if you will. Something more agressive, i was thinking something along the lines of what hte front end design is now, but more agressive. Perhaps a slightly forward leaning front end i.e. charger or new camaro ish, but i couldnt go too retro

2. Should the Chevrolet Traverse be more like the Acadia & Outlook (Square) or Enclave (Curvy)

uhm, hm..could go either..id say g more squared but some slight curves here n there..i guess sorta like the tahoe just dont have it look anything like it

yes, going back to your chevelle idea. I would suggest a combination of the camaro headlights stuck inside the malibu's. Perhaps rather then one one each side like the camaro, do two next to each other and make that one light.

why not give it options..besides the G6 is gonna need a replacement soon...why not use the volt as a start

corvettes shouldnt have much of a gril except all the way on the bottom which is a hard part to design, you could play with it but, as an influence i could possibly see it working

i love the new grill on the malibu..you could tweak it here n there a LITTLE bit (sharper corners for mroe edgey cars) but i wouldnt hurt it too much

not the aveo, silverado, im not even sure about the corvette..

loved it however it is slightly out dated..but is a wondeful start for a new design, the back end is amazing that you could probably get away with leaving as is

hmmm...good question..dont think i could drop 3 dropping even one would be a hard pick..i guess if i HAD to pick it'd be the trailblazer or even the new traverse but im not real sure...

a wagon...so like a new malibu maxx only more maxx but not so much that it looks like an SUV or a mini van, the chevelle i think they need to bring back the 2 door car since the monte was killed, aaand a boat

hmm, depends on the car/design of it but bringin back the chevelle would be nice, the Chevy Spark could be a replacement for the aveo, but thats all i got

SS, Borrego, aaaannd the Cheyenne as a redesigned or changed silverado..not a complete redesign but just a face lift n body mods

sting ray OR chevelle..cant have both..even thoguh they are different you cant have 2 brand new 2 door "fun:" cars
    unibody truck isnt needed the ridgeline isnt exactly a hot seller
    if it was needed, you have the el camino, which even still id ont think id make as a chevy due to the mass amounts of product already out there but
    you could start it as a low production vehicle and if the demand is there increase it

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information