Unibody Chevrolet crossover (like Ford Explorer).

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unibody Chevrolet crossover (like Ford Explorer).

Thanks

Unibody Chevrolet crossover (like Ford Explorer).

Since Ford is moving the new Explorer to a unibody platform and turning it into a people-moving crossover, I thought, why doesn't Chevrolet do the same?

Presenting a new crossover. LS, LT, LTZ, with all trim levels having a Z71 off-road package available that includes better terrain response, a higher ride, and other things.

I originally called it Trailblazer to match Ford's decision to name their unibody crossover Explorer. But, I don't want to mess with the Trailblazer's heritage. Any suggestions for names?

Inspired by the Chevrolet Journey concept.

Last edited by A.J.; 07-20-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,851 Times in 1,426 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

Re: Unibody Chevrolet Trailblazer.

Pretty nice, but the window line could be raised a bit.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

Very nice effort, but it doesn't work for me. In my mind, I picture something closer to the 2011 Grand Cherokee with clear chevrolet design cues. The engine choices could range from the Non-DI 3.6 (LS), to the 3.6 DI (LS or LT), to the 5.3 (LTZ) with the 6.0 being offered again for an SS version.

Most importantly, it NEEDS to keep the functionality that the trailblazer had (i.e. towing capacity)
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65
    Pretty nice, but the window line could be raised a bit.
    I went back and forth on lining up the window line with the hood line, and I kept the window line low for the sake of visibility.

I don't want to completely disregard the subject of my future commentary - making too many sacrifices for style.

Quote Originally Posted by Al63240
    Very nice effort, but it doesn't work for me. In my mind, I picture something closer to the 2011 Grand Cherokee with clear chevrolet design cues. The engine choices could range from the Non-DI 3.6 (LS), to the 3.6 DI (LS or LT), to the 5.3 (LTZ) with the 6.0 being offered again for an SS version.

Most importantly, it NEEDS to keep the functionality that the trailblazer had (i.e. towing capacity)
    Okay then, I'd just change the name to not mess with the Trailblazer's heritage.

Any suggestions? Next-gen Traverse maybe?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Unibody Chevrolet crossover (like Ford Explorer).

I like it but where would it fit into Chevy's line up? I would say this vehicle could come into conflict with the Equinox, Traverse, and possibly the Tahoe.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Thanks

[QUOTE=A.J.;2109386]Since Ford is moving the new Explorer to a unibody platform and turning it into a people-moving crossover, I thought, why doesn't Chevrolet do the same?

Chevrolet already did the unibody platform a few years ago - it is called Traverse. Is your intent to re-design the Traverse? It looks too much like a station wagon to be a Trailblazer.

Thanks

Like I said, the original intention was to give it the Trailblazer name because Ford is making the same kind of vehicle out of the Explorer.

Now, it's looking more like it would be a new-generation Traverse.

Or, I thought of using the name Maxx (a la Malibu Maxx).
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

looks great but what is the difference between this and a tall station wagon?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    looks great but what is the difference between this and a tall station wagon?
    Nothing, it's essentially what this vehicle (and the new Explorer) is, which is why it doesn't seem right for me to name the vehicle Trailblazer.

This vehicle has adequate leg- and headroom for six or seven people. It looks like a tall station wagon because the window line is low and the roof is raised a few inches over the third row for added headroom.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M

I look at this and see the next gen HHR. I could be way off, but that's what I see.
    Future Rides: Dodge Viper (hopefully someday) & 2009 Pontiac G8/ 2015 Chevrolet SS (seriously)

Current Rides: 2014 Chevy Cruze ECO 6M & 2015 Chrysler Town & County (wife's car)

Past Rides: 1992 Buick Century, 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1998 Buick Regal LS, 2003 Buick Regal GS, 2004 Honda Civic EX, 1998 Honda Civic DX, 2001 Ford ZX2, 2002 Dodge Dakota QC 4.7 V8 4x4 & 2009 Saturn Vue XR

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information