GM Inside News Forum banner

Tips & Tricks

1K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  Dark knight 
#1 ·
Decided I'd post a few hints, tips, and tricks for you guys. Feel free to add, no shame in not including things first off, right?

• Use tools, like rulers and elipse stencils, to make straight lines and circles neater and cleaner.
  • Make sure details line up just right. It makes the finshed product look a little more professional.
  • Start off first with a rough sketch as a guide. Then improve and improve until things are the way you want them.
  • Remember proportion. You don't want to draw a compact car and have it end up looking bigger than it should!
  • Use hatching and crosshatching techniques when shading in shadows. (Hatching/crosshatching is when you draw diagonal or intercepting diagonal lines to represent color in shadows.)
  • Presentation is what makes good sketches better. Draw backgrounds or background lines to take up negative space.

Like I said, feel free to add anything you wish! I hope it helps people who want to better their sketches. :)

See less See more
#28 · (Edited)
Rex: I can see we are not going to be "friends" anytime soon with your attitude, and I don't have a problem with that. The fact is, I have nothing to prove to you, and I never will. You'll see my work, if you wish to bother to click on the d*mn link when I feel like posting it. I'm not going to show any other drawing I have in reserve just because you doubt my skill.

And I never traced Torred/PlumCrazy's work. Just because I used his Corvair sedan as a benchmark on which I judged my work on (along with other professional-taught designers, like Mark Stehrenberger) doesn't mean I traced it. Do you think the Cobalt's interior was ripped out of every Jetta made just because they look similar?

I will never claim to be the "ultimate artist", and I never will. And if I 've give off that feel, I'm very sorry. The whole point of this thread was to offer some tips to people wanting a few ways to help them improve on their skill. And if someone wanted to exchange a few tips, they could do so, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.