Re-skin over Muscle Buick & Statesman

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re-skin over Muscle Buick & Statesman

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Re-skin over Muscle Buick & Statesman

Quote Originally Posted by BigAls87Z28
    I think what I really would like to see couldn’t be done with a simple photoshop job, but an actual sketch. It needs not only to rise but also bulge out from the fender.

OK BigAl,

I think this is more what you're talking about with regard to the skin stretched over muscle look. I've been playing with the 'hard' photochop tools that actually take artistic manual skill and clever thinking.

Frankly I love what I've done to this Statesman and if they re-skinned a Buick to have these curves I’d like them to do it to the Statesman as well. See original below it. I've added the Buick version also.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 02-02-2007 at 10:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Re: Re-skin over Muscle WM Statesman

Add ventiports and a waterfall grille and it's the perfect Buick.

I like how you added the curves without ruining the overall design. You've made the car look a lot better.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz
    Add ventiports and a waterfall grille and it's the perfect Buick.

I like how you added the curves without ruining the overall design. You've made the car look a lot better.

Actually we had been discussing this facelift I did on a Buick and BigAl had asked for the muscular guards but this pic wasn't good enough to experiment with.

So I went looking for a high definition pic and found this Statesman. So yes the Buick ventiports and grille are destined for this car, but not these guards. Hopefully at the face lift in two years they may do something like this, which are guards similar to the Torana concept. And the Torana is meant to be the facelift's styling basis.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

Not saying i could do any better but there is something about where the rear fender bulge is that does not sit right with me. Maybe if the original fender flair was not there or if the sheet metal between the two flairs followed the top on so it wouldn't look as thought the metal just rose there and sunk back in and came back out at the lower flair? Do you see what i'm getting at?
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)
    Hidden Content

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

OK

Here's my Buick version.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Re-skin over Muscle Buick & Statesman

Interesting Bonnet opening. Is it deliberate or just an oversight. I like the overall effect but the curve over the rear door handle is just a touch severe for my liking.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty
    Interesting Bonnet opening. Is it deliberate or just an oversight. I like the overall effect but the curve over the rear door handle is just a touch severe for my liking.
    It's deliberate. You'll notice I had no openings on the Statesman as I hadn't decided what to do for a bonnet shut-line. First I put in the line from above the projector headlight which smoothly transitions back to become the line under the side windows.

I had thought of simply cutting across the base of the 'A' pillar from the front windscreen to that line forming a basic clamshell bonnet at the rear. But then when I decided to put the Buick chrome portholes up on the bonnet it gave me the idea that this could allow for a projection of the 'A' pillar spearing into the space between the bonnet and the front guard.

It gives an interesting graphic I think. And it allows the use of the original Holden hinges, avoiding the problems of clamshell bonnets having to open up awkwardly to avoid hitting at the rear corners.

Another stylistic advantage of these forward spearing ‘A’ pillars is that I think they add to the impression of a severely sloped front windscreen. They make the ‘A’ pillars look longer and more reclined for an even sleeker look.

As to the rear Coke Bottle hip over the rear wheel: In strong sunlight, where the shine off of it is in greater contrast to the shaded color of the rest of the door and guard, it may seem severe. But on an overcast day or at night it would need some severity to still be a strong styling element.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 02-03-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Equinox 2012 Silver

Very sharp looking car! This is what Buick needs. Saw the Lucerne in Detroit and liked the styling but this is better.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

Move the portholes to the hood. Make the grill the same as the Enclave and make the lights the same. Other than that, I like it. I like the flow lines of the Enclave. Classy and very old-school Buick.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

The best thing about the new Holdens is how they can easily be adapted due to what some call "bland" design. I call it sharp, and timeless here. Just don't lose those headlights for some cheap halogen garbage and it would remain a stunner with ventiports and a bold waterfall grille.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information