Post a photo of your first sports car! Tell us about it?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Post a photo of your first sports car! Tell us about it?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

Post a photo of your first sports car! Tell us about it?

Turbocharged Mid engined 1976 Lancia scorpion with alcohol water injection...nimonic valves, forged pistons, BWA rims, Koni shocks...

Here's an old photo I found this evening..

To the moderators if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it. Please accept my apologies in advance.

Before I was a GM enthusiast!

What was your first sports car? Post it up!

JB
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Re: Post a photo of your first sports car! Tell us about it?

My first sports car... It was crazy expensive to maintain and repair - but I loved it.. I traded in a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Touring Coupe to buy it and I traded it in for a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham a year later.

Thanks

Have had cars with more power... but I reckon this was the first sports (not to mention my favourite).

I still have it, but a 15 yr old kid crashed into it (while parked), and its now the donor for a project car...

Really fun to drive car and sounds great, and the best bit is the suprise factor, when I told people I had a Golf I was asked if it was good on fuel, and was it the 1.6 or the 1.8, it's the 2.8 V6 (VR6) the old version of the Golf R32. Manual ofcourse and had my mates V8 Holden bothered in a straight line.

Only a few mods, intake, eibach/koni suspension and the wheels were just in a mates garage they've been on and off with other sets ... one of those have to drive to believe sort of cars, feels like a much bigger more powerful car to drive.

I just love the sleeper appeal, no sports car stigma that will have a cop glued to your back door.

Last edited by Joe88; 03-06-2011 at 01:57 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 flatblackstrat's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Kawasaki Er-4n

2003 Tibruon GT 6 SPD. I bought her as a demo with only 1,000 miles on it for 16K. It was my first new car and I loved it. Very few problems with it and any I did have were promptly resolved by a local dealership.

This car had great steering feel, but was impossible to launch because of lack of LSD. Torque steer was also bad at times along with wheel hop. But it was jut so damn sexy to look at and the interior was decent up front. Rear area started to develop a lot of creaks over time. It is still my favorite car to this day.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by t-rex Hidden Content
    Oh come on. Don't tell me you don't dress missus sol (solwoman?) up as Wonder Woman, build a twin towers out of mashed potatoes in the kitchen, have the kids fly remote control miniature jets (while dressed in Arab garb) into them while you do your best Will Smith impersonation from "Independence Day" ??
    11 Kawasaki Er-4n
    09 Mercedes C200
    07 Dodge Nitro RT
    06 Mercedes B170
    05 Dodge Stratus SXT
    03 Tiburon GT 6SPD
    96 Dodge Avenger ES
    91 Pontiac Grand Prix STE

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 87silver's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought a 1976 VW Scirocco in 1980. At the time I wasn't making too much $$. Transverse engines were just starting to become popular. Chevy came out with the Citiation. The one in the pic was the exact same as the one I had; Diamond Silver paint, alloy wheels, grey & black plaid interior. The only thing different was that mine had a mono windshield wiper instead of 2. It was fun to drive and good on gas. It started using oil once the mileage climbed, due to the wear on the short valve guides.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,120 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

That scirocco was a beauty! I remember how sweet that car was when it released years back. The first generation was very cleanly styled.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

Love the 'rocco, they were never sold in Australia, so it's pretty special when you see one here, I think we could combine first sports cars there ('rocco with the VR6 eninge) to make something pretty special.

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

I bought my first sports car at 43 - not so much a mid life crisis as something that was safer than my trailbike...

I ran my first khanacross in it yesterday - after 2 rounds I was running 4th in class and 10 outright (45 competitors). I'm waiting to see final results.

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

Quote Originally Posted by Joe88 View Post
    Have had cars with more power... but I reckon this was the first sports (not to mention my favourite).

I still have it, but a 15 yr old kid crashed into it (while parked), and its now the donor for a project car...

Really fun to drive car and sounds great, and the best bit is the suprise factor, when I told people I had a Golf I was asked if it was good on fuel, and was it the 1.6 or the 1.8, it's the 2.8 V6 (VR6) the old version of the Golf R32. Manual ofcourse and had my mates V8 Holden bothered in a straight line.

Only a few mods, intake, eibach/koni suspension and the wheels were just in a mates garage they've been on and off with other sets ... one of those have to drive to believe sort of cars, feels like a much bigger more powerful car to drive.

I just love the sleeper appeal, no sports car stigma that will have a cop glued to your back door.

Wow - nice car to have for a project. Love to see what it becomes.

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

The first sports car that was mine to drive was a 2003 Honda S2000. Learned to drive stick on that baby. It was quite a fun drive, rear end was a little squirrelly, so I learned not to be stupid about driving it.

The first sports car that was actually considered 100% mine was a 1997 BMW 328iS. Loved that car and wish that I still had it. (for those wondering, hit a patch of ice and snagged an already damaged guardrail.)

-Chase

Thanks

1980 Fiat X1/9 1300 4 spd. Bought less than a year ago as a project. Absolute ball to drive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Wow - nice car to have for a project. Love to see what it becomes.
    Cheers mate, it's a bit rough looking at it in that picture because it has been crashed into (at the back) and been butchered since, the engine from it is in the new car, soon to get wiring, interior, finishing touches on the brakes..... and all those other fiddly jobs. Will look quite a bit different when it's done, but I was happy with how it looked then (wheels didnt usually have centre caps on). Only seen a few others on the road since owning it, kinda hard to pick from normal Golfs though (unless you hear them). My only real regret is FWD, torque steer has to be kept under control, and a heavy V6 infront of the front wheels makes it nose heavy, but it's light enough not to really be a problem.

RX-7 is cool, as are the other cars in this thread!

15. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information