Pontiac REV

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontiac REV

Thanks

Pontiac REV

Hidden Content

Also, sign up on my new, Pontiac tribute site, let your voice be heard at:
    Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Pontiac REV

I'm sorry, but what exactly is this vehicle supposed to do?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,381 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

^^^ I'm with him.

But it does look nice...front end is a big improvement over your last drawings.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

i like the name alot

Thanks

Well, I had a tough time naming this, for I definately DIDN'T want to go with the current, lame G nomenclature that Pontiac is using, nor any of the names I have used several times. I ran out of ideas so I just used the name of one of Pontiac's past concept. Doesn't fit I know, but.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

eh..a 2 door turbp charged coupe..id say it fits. i like the interior the best

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Ronald McChevy's Avatar
    Thanks

very nice - your talents are rapidly improving IMO.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks

I saw this car before I clicked on the thread. Why bother designing the same thing and giving it a different name?

Thanks

Here is my opinion...

Thanks

Answer my question, please. It just feels like I'm seeing the same car over and over.

Criticism aside, REV is a good name, just not for this kind of vehicle. If you're so interested in Pontiacs, try drawing a Volt for Pontiac. Call it REV ([insert R word here] Electric Vehicle)!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

Thanks

Here is the new one. I based it on the 1973 Grand Am. I hope you like it and I hope this is 'DIFFERENT'. As for Volt, nope, since I HATE that car just because it's a Chevy, and no offense.

Hidden Content

Thanks

Should have made it more like the REV concept from years ago, a 4x4 coupe

Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Your proportions look much better than what we have been seeing before, you are definately getting much better compared to what you had shown us earlier on.

I do have to suggest that you try out a couple of other brands, Buick maybe? How about Cadillac or Saab? I know that you most likely know the history of Pontiac the best, however, a lot of the fun of designing a vehicle is going out and searching for/picking up design cues from other brands. It is the challenge of the design that makes it really fun.

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

Thanks

I know. I tried drawing Buicks and Cadillacs before, and Saab, but they just don't come out as I intended to be. At least with the Pontiac, it seems to work a bit better for me than those brands. I am especially having a tough time drawing the Cadillacs that LOOK like a Cadillac. Buicks I find it a bit easier, but the Cadillac is really giving me a challenge. Saabs as well, which I pretty much gave up on. But, I will try. Thanx.
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Oh, I definately understand what you mean about drawings not looking like their intended brand... I cannot draw or come up with a drawing of a concept of a BMW for the life of me. There is just some sort of proportioning that I don't understand that makes any attempt at one by me just not one.

Was it you who mentioned that they only used pen for their drawings? If so, that is your #1 issue right there. Your design is limited to your very first lines that are put on paper. If you feel that some element in the design could look better if tweaked just so, you are unable to change it without having to begin all over again. That also makes it very difficult to experiment with different shapes. For example, with a lot of your drawings, it is evident that you draw what you know. Your hand knows what motion to take to give you a certain shape, and therefore you follow it knowing that you will get your cleanest line that way, and will not have to go back and re-draw it. I think that is also the reason for so many variants of what seems to be the same vehicle. All of this experimenting that could have easily be done in minutes on a single drawing, all while erasing the designs that you feel are not what you were after or had originally envisioned.

Definately take your time with your drawings, don't be afraid to go back, erase, re-draw, and even erase again. I'll tell you what, most of my drawings take me hours, yes hours, to do. First several minutes I may get a desired shape down, or an idea of a shape, and I work from there, but most of the time, 90% of the lines that I have on a finished drawing were not there in the beginning, or had been erased and redrawn ever so slightly. The Oldsmobile that I had done for example, was started months ago. The other day, I probably spent 5 or so hours tweaking and finishing it. I had the general shape down, an idea of what I had wanted to do, but nothing near what I got out of it.

Any way, I do hope some of my suggestions help, I am in no way ragging on you or your drawing, I just want to help you get to the point to where you don't hear the same old comments from everybody all the time! (plus, I would have killed for critiquing like this when I was getting started drawing!)

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information