Pontiac Catalina Experiment

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pontiac Catalina Experiment

Thanks

Pontiac Catalina Experiment

I tried my hand at drawing a 4 Door Sedan, though I especially suck even more in anything other than a coupe, but I gave it a shot. I tried to make the front not nose dive much, but it didn't work as I wanted and came out still, too low, but I hope you don't hate it. I guess I am so used to it, that I need to work on still.

Hidden Content

Also, sign up on my new, Pontiac tribute site, let your voice be heard at:
    Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pontiac Catalina Experiment

experiment failed

Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Silverado 1500 Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider View Post
    experiment failed

Woo Hoo!! Why so negative?

GarndPrix, it was worth a try. Your front end does need work and you could add length to the rear doors and get rid of the interior in your exterior view and focus on the car itself. Otherwise, a good experiment just needs tweeking. Try drawing this from a side profile, like A.J.'s cars and post it up. Might give a better view to your drawing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nova Omega Ventura Apollo gets you NOVA, genius isn't it?

Occupy Wall Streeters should go occupy their homes...or a job...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,381 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider View Post
    experiment failed
    If you have nothing good to say, then don't bother saying anything at all...

That interior is looking much, much better than your past drawings. Like newdude said, try doing side profiles for a while until you get a good feel as to how the hood slopes.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks

Next car you draw, try drawing a construction line from the middle distance between the top of the wheel well and the top of the front fender forward, and another from the middle of the top wheel spoke forward. The top of your lights should touch the top line, the bottom of your lights should touch the bottom line. Draw another line from the middle of the wheel. Your lower air damn should start at this line. Start your upper air damn a bit higher.
    Also, on a 3/4 front view like that, make sure that all the surfaces that should be horizontal, are horizontal (bottom of the front fascia, bumper line, similar sections of the grille and headlights, etc).

Lastly, if you're making a roomy 4 door sedan, give it some room! After doing the above, decrease the size of the car from the A-pillar forward by about 1/4, and increase the size of the car from the A-pillar to the C-pillar by at least 30%. Otherwise, the design elements look good. I get a very 'LaCrosse' feel from the beltline, doors, and window shapes, and it looks good, just needs to be bigger (more Quattroporte).

Hope this helps.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

i like where you were going with this. I like the front end if you had it better proportioned and not nose diving as you said. hopefully ill have time sometime and be able to draw what i think you were planning real quick. if not, and nobody else does, find a sketch that somebody has already posted. Just any sketch that has an angle you like. Now, dont draw it. Trace it. thats how I started to get my drawings a little better. I picked one viewpoint that i liked to draw and kept doing it over and over and over...after you do it a few times..eh say 5, draw the basic shape (wheels, and outline of the car and windows) then change up the front to whatever you had in mind.

Thanks

I tried to incorporate JT87's tip on this. I think it came out better. Though I am not sure. Enjoy.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

Thanks

And here is the one with the contruction line(guide lines) removed and a bit cleaned up version.

Last edited by GrandPrix08; 09-02-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

alot better

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information