Photoshop Question

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Photoshop Question

Walking
    Thanks

Photoshop Question

I've been lurking at these forums for a while and I enjoyed all of the excellent photoshop rendering i saw here enough that I decided to give it a try myself. After making my first design (below), I'm afraid I may have approached it from the entirely wrong direction. Basically, what I created looks like something out of a comic book rather than a photograph. I would like to be able to add chrome and 3-D highlighting effects to what I have, but the more I look around, the more it seems like everyone uses a photo of an existing car to start from rather than a clean sheet.

My question is if its possible to add semi-realistic looking chrome (to the white areas) and some highlighting to emulate high gloss paint? I've read a vast number of webpages about photoshop, but they mainly talk about altering an existing photo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Photoshop Question

Use the bezier (pen) tool to create a shape on a new layer. Using the handles along the curve, you can make some smooth shapes. Once you get the curves and shapes the way you want them, go to the paths tab, select the dotted line (selector tool) and your path will become a selection area for you to airbrush. Start by airbrushing white along one edge and fading it out as it goes away from the border.

To do chrome, use black to make a horizon line along the bumper. Above the black fades into blue on a convex surface, and below the black fades to a warm/neutral ground color . On a wheel, flip the two since the bottom of the wheel lip is reflecting the sky and the upper part is reflecting the ground. The secret to shine is contrast. The more contrast you have the shinier it is.

I use photoshop to render all my work and only occasionally use an existing photo. There are tons of Photoshop tutorials online to help you as well. Check some out at www.cardesignnews.com in the studio section.
    Last edited by Dabanj6; 05-03-2006 at 02:18 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information