Oldsmobile - Lineup Expanded

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oldsmobile - Lineup Expanded

Thanks

Oldsmobile - Lineup Expanded

Lining up with my personal vision for GM, I've created what could end up being one of the most well-rounded vehicles on the road. The Oldsmobile Aurora - reborn.

The reborn Aurora rides on a platform called ZE - short for "Zeta-Epsilon". Its only drive wheel option is symmetrical AWD. The engine is longitudinally-mounted. The platform is designed so that the driver sits exactly in the middle of the car's length. The front and rear overhangs are the same length as well.

The new Aurora is designed to be an Oldsmobile design revolution, just as the first generation was when it was introduced. It sports a brand-new badge (a hybrid of the red oldsmobile logo and the new "rocket" logo). The Aurora has no traditional grille - instead, there are four "gills" up front located on the inside of the headlamps. The gills on top function as the grille and the gills on the bottom function as the air dam. There are also two gills in the back located next to the red reflectors - they're the exhaust ports.

Designed to take Buick's place as it would move upmarket, the new Oldsmobile brand would focus on being the most well-rounded upscale vehicles on the road.

Here we go...
    Last edited by A.J.; 05-13-2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: Oldsmobile Aurora - A Car like a Rocket

I like it, but I don't feel like it's "revolutionary" enough like the first-gen Aurora was--this looks much more like the 2nd gen (which don't get me wrong, I loved). It just looks a little plain for a 'new' Aurora. I do like that it has some of the 2000-2005 Bonneville in it in the doors, where the belt line curves up towards the rear. Any chance we can see a front end sketch ?

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Hehe, between you, me, and Taglane, I'd say we know where Oldsmobile needed to go!

For Reference:

My Oldsmobile Intrigue:

Taglane's Oldsmobile Aurora:

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Jaguar XF 3.0 Sport

needs a bigger mouth or else a grill

Thanks

Re: Oldsmobile - Lineup Expanded

Now that I've established a theme with the Aurora, it's time to take the theme further.

First off - naming. The vehicles will now be named like science-fiction spacecraft, with a prefix before each name based on the engine. For example:

N36 Aurora - N for naturally-aspirated, 36 for 3.6L, then the name Aurora.

N = naturally-aspirated
    H = hybrid-electric
    T = turbocharged
    30 = 3.0L SIDI V6
    36 = 3.6L SIDI V6

So, now, I'd like to introduce two new models.

Oldsmobile N30/H30 Recon

The redefinition of the minivan. No longer do minivans have to be dowdy or cheap. This minivan is essentially a high-tech lounge on wheels - designed like a spacecraft inside and out. This isn't your typically-driving minivan either - symmetrical AWD plus the BalanceDrive platform equal near-perfect weight distribution of 52/48.

Oldsmobile N36/H30/T30 Comet

This is Oldsmobile's performance coupe. It's the spiritual successor to the 442 and also the American answer to the late Toyota Supra. Designed with the original Oldsmobile Alero concept in mind, this machine is designed for the drivers who want the most out of their cars. With the driver sitting in the horizontal center of gravity, this car can take off like a rocket.

These two models join the N36/H30/T36 Aurora in the lineup.

DESIGN CONTEST PARTICIPANTS - take note that I will be making an announcement concerning the contests in a few days. (Don't worry, it's nothing bad!)
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Equinox

I miss the spaceship/sci-fi theme direction Olds was going to, er in

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

figures I'd *like* the Comet

looks a bit smaller than a 442 tho - think the roof is just a bit too tall and bubbly - but a very tasty overall design!

also *like* your naming scheme, A.J. - afaik something no one else is trying
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chaseabryant View Post
    Hehe, between you, me, and Taglane, I'd say we know where Oldsmobile needed to go!

For Reference:

My Oldsmobile Intrigue:

-Chase
    I love that sketch! It's absolutely stunning! Consider me "Intrigue-ed" (LOL!)!
    Last edited by cire_1wb; 06-14-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Intrigued Alero

There should seriously be a petition to restore the Oldsmobile brand. I love these designs so much more than what has been coming out recently. Lovely work. Might like to see a new Ciera too ;3

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 iluvcamaros's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Personally I'd just like to see Buick offer models that revive the late Oldsmobile design theme. Like offer the Opel Cascada WITHOUT a waterfall grill. Also keep the Intrigue in mind when designing the next Insignia/Regal.
    Hidden Content

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition
    2001 Buick Regal LS
    2001 Chevrolet S-10 4WD

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information