Olds Reborn

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Olds Reborn

Thanks

Olds Reborn

This is a very rough concept for the revival of Oldsmobile as a limited production premium luxury brand. Yes, it's unconventional, and yes, I'm probably the only one who thinks this isn't the stupidest idea they've ever heard, but bear with me. The final-generation Olds Aurora was taking the marque in a styling direction that, at least to me, seemed very promising. Sadly, it never went any further, which is why these sketches are here.

Both models are rear-engined, with the cabin placed rather far forward. The roadster features a closed top, while the sedan features an open t-top for the front row and a soundproofed rear cabin with a panoramic moonroof. The pinched body right in front of the rear wheelwells is possible because the driveshaft doesn't have to pass from the front end to the rear wheels. A spoiler across the rear axle provides downforce, while the intakes for the engine are placed above it; the vehicle will have to be shaped in a manner that allows air underneath the back of the body. A potent but compact ethanol rotary engine is housed behind the cabin, between the wheels, while a hybrid electric motor sits near the nose of the vehicle. Because the electric motor does not require a driveshaft, its placement does not have to be in the rear of the vehicle, and the relatively heavy lithium-ion batteries help weigh down the front axle and provide greater stability at high speeds.

Aside from the roughness of the sketches and a number of inconsistencies, please let me know what you think. Also, if any skilled photoshoppers out there wouldn't mind applying these design elements to a real Olds, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Guard rails are your friends, but not your close friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Re: Olds Reborn

Keep the dreams going, Saaj dude, that's where truly innovative ideas come from.

Maybe you can draw on the Lincoln MKR for ideas. It was a beautiful concept vehicle, but came across more Oldsmobile than Lincoln!!

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

replace OLDS with BAT

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider
    replace OLDS with BAT
    Agreed your drawings are very Batmobile looking.
    Last edited by CrunkedRL; 04-19-2007 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks

Yeah, I know...it's the curse of any vehicle that tries to evoke 30s styling to be labeled Batmobile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Keep the dreams going, Saaj dude, that's where truly innovative ideas come from.

Maybe you can draw on the Lincoln MKR for ideas. It was a beautiful concept vehicle, but came across more Oldsmobile than Lincoln!!
    I'll have to look into that.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information