Not a chop Not a photo

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a chop Not a photo

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Not a chop Not a photo

There has been alot of discussion lately in another section of this site about chops vs Photoshop art, here is a sample of an illustration done with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. Just thought I would post it to show another form or use fro Photoshop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Not a chop Not a photo

wow...how'd you make it?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

it's really just an updated version of an old illustration technique, start with an original photo , do a line drawing of it in Illustrator, place it in Photoshop, and "paint" it there, using brushes, fills, masks and adjustment techniques. Taks a considerable amount of time, but I have done many over the years.

Glad you like it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Tooning I beleive this is called according to the photoshoping world.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

This is truly incredible, but I would still consider it a photochop.

Thanks

Thats pretty sweet looking, I like it!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Rex, I respect your opinion but this absolutly NOT photochop, the main reason...there in no photo under the illustration.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 FightingChance's Avatar
    Thanks

But a photo was used as a base.
    "I cannot wait for the new fad to come along, one that doesn't involve making respectable looking cars look as though they were parked nearby when the plastic factory exploded."

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

A photo was used for the line drawing, and used on the table as a reference, not as a layer... as a matter of fact I've been doing these since before PShop had layers (hate to admit that) layers didn't come along until version 4.0...I don't know how we did without them.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer questions, but I really don't want to sound like I'm coming off like mrdetmet.

Thanks

Because you started with a photo, and not from scratch, I consider it a photochop, regardless if the original is still used or not. Same as if you use a pen and tracing paper and and then trace an image, the new picture can't be 100% considered original.

It's no big deal what the technique is called by me, because your work looks great.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider
    Because you started with a photo, and not from scratch, I consider it a photochop, regardless if the original is still used or not. Same as if you use a pen and tracing paper and and then trace an image, the new picture can't be 100% considered original.

It's no big deal what the technique is called by me, because your work looks great.
    Cool, I'm glad you like it...but, just for the sake of asking (and I'm not comparing myself to him) would you say the same about Norman Rockwell? I guess I would come to think of it.

Thanks

Although I know Rockwell's pictures from the Saturday Evening Post, I'm not sure what you are talking about in terms of his style. Did he copy the images from somewhere else?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider
    Although I know Rockwell's pictures from the Saturday Evening Post, I'm not sure what you are talking about in terms of his style. Did he copy the images from somewhere else?
    He used the same Illustration technique, of course before computers, I'm actually agree with you, but just saying that's why we call it illustration, not fine art and I suppose I find the term chop... well just not that nice., but I'll get over it. Anyway keep up the good work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mygraphix
    He used the same Illustration technique, of course before computers, I'm actually agree with you, but just saying that's why we call it illustration, not fine art and I suppose I find the term chop... well just not that nice., but I'll get over it. Anyway keep up the good work.
    I'd call that illustration. looks great, and very similar to what i do at work all day long. normally i just use reference and do not trace, but a lot of times a client wants a certain "object" that is traced exactly like this C5R but done entirely in illustartor.
    the illustartor drawings that i do for the contest and in my spare time are NOT traced nor do i use a base car for reference, i just draw. With the newer versions of illustartor you can get a lot of effects and looks of photoshop that are much easier to manipulate. i'd love to see some more of your photo/ill works.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information