need help....

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need help....

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

need help....

I'm looking for decent pencils for sketching and shading. so far, ive bought a couple that i thought would be good, but they havnt been what i want. for example, today, looking for a blue (blue print like) pencil, i went out and bought a prismacolor pencil (it was unsharpened) which said "torquise" on the torquise shell. I took it home and sharpened it, excited to get that blue print look, and to my dismay, it was BLACK!!!!! it was worse than the Dixon pencils i already have and use. I wondered why it was called "torquise" when it was actually black ?!!!!!!!!!! I was so dissapointed.

here's a picture:

there were also alot of prismacolor color pencils for sale too, they had many shades of blue, but i wondered if it was possible to draw like i do with a color pencil. Seemed unlikely.

Now i dont know what to do, and i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: need help....

well, teh pencil was painted tourquoise, so you can't sue them.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

Just like the Chevy Cobalt, not all of the are Blue.
    Perhaps the pencil is called Turquoise. That's the model, not the color.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC msabatini's Avatar
    Thanks

Prismas are kind of funny because you don't quite know the varying degrees of pressure are intended. I like the Prisma sticks. I have also learned that if you use mild pressure and then go over with a white Prisma stick...it helps to blend colors. Plus...you can use Prisma markers over the pencil to create desired effects. But you really have to work with them and test the different techniques before starting a drawing. Use light pressure at first because you can always go back and darken.

FYI..have you ever noticed the dark veins in the turquoise stone and not the aqua color...the dark is the true turquoise...that's probably why it is so dark.
    Last edited by msabatini; 06-19-2006 at 11:45 PM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Turquoise is the product line that Prismacolor makes. I never use them because the lines end up gray or get shiney when you add pressure.

Note: when comparing pencils, look at the weight or hardness. [H, HB, 2H, 3H]hard pencils=thin light lines; [2B, 3B,4B,5B,6B, 7B, 8B]soft pencils=heavy, dark lines that tend to become dull quickly.

Buy Prismacolor Verithin black pencils (and other colors), they are the best. They sharpen very cleanly and give a deep black line if you put pressure on it. If you want the look Torred uses, try using a violet or sky blue prismacolor colored pencil. (you can always draw in black, scan and adjust the color in photoshop too). The lead in them is very soft, prone to breaking but great to sketch with. I usually buy boxes of popular individual colors rather than the standard assortment box. The only eraser that seems to work on these leads is white "MagicRub" erasers found in Staples.

Ben
    Last edited by Dabanj6; 06-20-2006 at 12:30 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information