My GM Idea..WIP

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My GM Idea..WIP

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

My GM Idea..WIP

So I have been thinking alot lately about GM's platforms, new ones, future ones, and imagining the potential there is in developing cars from these platforms.

Let me explain.

General Motors creates a new division simply named "GM"
    There will always be expectations from all the other divisions, people will always expect a Saab to look like a Saab, a Pontiac to fight and try to be a "Performance" division, and GMC to always produce trucks. In creating a new division and giving it the name GM it can represent General Motors for its entirity..not taking styling ques from other divisions, but rather taking passion from other divisions.

Each model is named after it's platform
    What better way to market and advertise a platform then to create a car in its honor riding on its architecture? When someone buys a Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, whatever..they will relate their cars purpose by the GM Division vehicle designed to represent the platform.

Each model is designed to represent it's platform
    Now it is not realistic to use EVERY current platform, but take the newest and future world platforms and go from there. For instance, the Zeta. The Zeta platform is RWD, can house alot of power, and just the name itself is fierce sounding...translate that into a car..dont make it look like a Camaro..or a Holden..but take pure inspiration for what the vehicle IS, not it's heritage, the Zeta car would give off the impression of Large Displacment, Rear Wheel Drive, Performance. The model based off the Volt's platform can represent Electric Power and the Future of the technology. The vehicle named Lambda, using the Lambda platform, will represent versatility and offer a menu of options that are appealing and useful for those in the market for a functional cross-over.

The role these models would play
    As previously mentioned, they would represent their platforms bring recognition to all models from other GM divisions that use those platforms. They could be Halos, offering the best GM has to offer to consumers that need/will use the vehicles for their intended purpose. When you buy a GM Zeta, it is performance first and foremost. When you buy a GM Lambda, it is versatility and practicality. When you buy a GM Kappa, it is big performance w/low displacment in a small package..what it will be best at is being as powerful as it is efficient with fuel.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dont know if any of this makes the slightest bit of sense, but its been an idea running around in my mind and this breif overview is just scatching the surface at the potential I think it has. In short, the design is a refelction of the vehicle's purpose, the vehicle's purpose is the platform and what it is engineered to be/capable of.

Can ya dig?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: My GM Idea..WIP

Hmmm, I don't know if I agree with some of your ideas, but I certainly don't like the idea of a GM division. There are 2 problems with this:
    1. GM already has way too many divisions and too much overlap, another one doesn't make sense IMO.

2. Creating a new division is very risky and costs a lot of money, especially in marketing. And For the division to even remotely make sense, badge engineering would have to be going on, and we want to avoid that. I think it's best for all of GM's divisions to differentiate them from one another and from a corporate parent. It's best if people don't know that a certain brand belongs to a larger corporation. Cadillac is cadillac, pontiac is pontiac, relating them takes away from cadillac.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    Hmmm, I don't know if I agree with some of your ideas, but I certainly don't like the idea of a GM division. There are 2 problems with this:
    1. GM already has way too many divisions and too much overlap, another one doesn't make sense IMO.

2. Creating a new division is very risky and costs a lot of money, especially in marketing. And For the division to even remotely make sense, badge engineering would have to be going on, and we want to avoid that. I think it's best for all of GM's divisions to differentiate them from one another and from a corporate parent. It's best if people don't know that a certain brand belongs to a larger corporation. Cadillac is cadillac, pontiac is pontiac, relating them takes away from cadillac.
    I see your points, but specifically I was looking more into the potential of expanding on the platforms as actual vehicles themselves, allowing them the opportunity to go in the direction of what their platforms purpose is..rather then what roll it fills in a division (Cadillac = Luxury, Pontiac = Performance).

And I see the conflict with associating brands together, but I suppose I am imagining this in a world where each of GM's divisions is respectfully holding ground in their markets..so as a Pontiac isnt embarassing it's older Cadillac brother and such. But as far as badge engineering, well I dont think that would be a problem. Look at a Sky and Solstice...very different, and their similarities could be disguised even furthermore. Also, there is no shame in acknowledging platform sharing, not that you mentioned it but im just saying it, and that wouldnt nessecarly be made aware of..meaning, you wouldnt go into a GM Division dealership and look at the model named Zeta and see a list of vehicles that use the platform Zeta.

I guess I just want to see a face on these platforms because past all of the division specific details is an architecture that has a purpose, capabilities, and an over all role that comes before you place badges and choose interior materials. My ideal GM division, named GM, would be a leap ahead of "bread and butter" but would cut out the "Luxury Division" "Performance Division" and "Green Division" crap and focus on making each model represent those priorities without being forced...because sometimes thats how it feels..like for example the 9-7x, its a Trailblazer being bitchslapped into being a Saab. Instead, the GM models would be everything their platform is intended to represent, not what their division is intended to represent. It makes sense in my head, dont know if I am explaining it well though ha.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 lightbrotha2004's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevy Impala LT - Red

I get what your saying and I personally think it's a great idea. You'd give each platform a real identity. There might be some overlap but these cars would be the epitome of what their platforms are suppose to be. I'm assuming you would do...
    Alpha (pure performance and style),
    Delta-II (raceous small car practicality),
    Epsilon-II (world class leading bread-n-butter touring car),
    Zeta (rebirth of the muscle car),
    Theta (nimble yet versatile),
    Kappa (powerful yet efficient),
    Lambda (versatility and built to suit you),
    Sigma (world class luxury and refinement),
    GMT-900 (big, strong and yet refined)

This is just building on your idea. I'm not sure if i left any important plat. out might have.
    Last edited by lightbrotha2004; 08-31-2007 at 04:18 PM.
    Current: 2012 Chevrolet Impala LT Past: 1995 Chrysler Cirrus LX, 1996 Chevy Lumina, 1998 GMC Astro (GMC Grill on an Astro)
    Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I don't know. You make it sound like there's a certain intrinsic nature to a platform and that out of that nature one ideal design follows that is different from the brand-specific design. I'm not sure that is the case. After all platforms are just that. A platform's limitation become obvious as soon as you work on the entire design: narrow, high rear Epsilon; ultra bulky butted, short fronted, poor rear legroom W, etc. GM looks very much like it's going spread all platforms among all brands.
    I agree that the greek alphabet makes for great names. Problem is, would America get it?
    Your vision sounds more like what GM should be once it get rids of redundant brands. One brand only.
    Last edited by Chaz_23; 08-31-2007 at 01:34 PM.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information