Modern and 'Urban Chic' Chevette

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern and 'Urban Chic' Chevette

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

(Note: My entry into the comp is the 5th and last version below)

The design, while ultra modern, is also recognisable from a distance with its asymmetric front grill.

My niece (15yrs) says the Girls smiling car is "way cool".

And in that place in the market, design is meant to be newer and fresher. Carrying over design cues,
    such as with a Benz, BMW and other large high end cars is less important than setting a new trend.

In fact, talk to the old guys or look at old GM pictures and you will see that the best selling days at GM
    where when they completely ditched all the design elements from the previous model and came out
    with something new.

You don't see the '57 Chevy design theme (which is great) being dragged through the 60's and into
    the early 70's.

While most on this forum are guys, tell us what you think.
    ...or ask your girlfriend what color she wants hers in. LOL.

For the Girls... A 'talk about' car like the New Beatle once was.

For the Boys... A bit more aggressive with driving lights "for the driver in him".
    ...the little wimp (FWD?) - buy an old Camaro 'till you pay off your student loans.
    ...unless it was AWD and turbo...YES!!!!

I'm considering a change to the Boys version grille. Opinions?

O.K. Bowtie Badge on bonnet or grille?

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS Design Entry - Urban Chic 2008 Chevette

As the main buyers of smaller new cars are young women I have designed a Chevette from scratch
    to be both distinctive and female fashion friendly with a fresh, clean and stylish face.

A new Chevette, aimed at young women, students and as second cars for wives, is competing against
    the latest small cars from Asian brands and therefore needs to be competitively modern.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 09-29-2006 at 04:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Re: Modern and 'Urban Chic' Chevelle

Large Pic (edited)

:
    Last edited by MonaroSS; 03-08-2007 at 06:58 AM.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the comments below. What I find interesting is that it seems universally that all the guys on here and in real life don't like the wry smile of the Girls car, often saying "it looks like the cars in the talking car Movie" - as if it's a bad thing.

Yet all the girls in real life, as there seem to be none on here, all prefer the Girls car, often saying "it looks like the cars in the talking car Movie" - as if it's a good thing.

I don't have to tell most of you guys that girls brains are wired differently. Where as we guys see our car as an extension of ourselves and our manhood (no chicks cars for us then), the Girls see their cars as a conversation piece - something they can talk about with their girlfriends. They like cute and humanising facias on cars. Take the success of the original Twingo (French) and Mazda Miata with women as an example.

So I expect every guy on here not to like the Girls version.

And I'm even suspect of any guy on here who likes the Boys version, because if you are a car enthusiast then you would likely never be in the market for a new Chevy Chevette - whatever it looked like.

The car has always been and would again be in a class aimed squarely at women. So I like to think that even the Boys version is actually aimed at lesbians and gays (not that there's anything wrong with that).

But this is a design comp, and I've aimed not for my own, or our preferences, but for that of the target market. And I think most of you understand that. Cheers.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 03-08-2007 at 07:00 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

I can't say I like it. I don't think non-symmetrical designs will go ver very well.
    Looks like a mouth from the movie Cars.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

This is the donor car. A large 4-door. I changed it's proportions, wheels and remade every panel except the glass and mirrors.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 03-08-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the headlights are cool though I am not wild about the asymmetrical mouth version.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Great job!
    The only thing I can see wrong w/it is the Chevy bowtie. It looks like it was just slapped/stuck on where it is. B/c it is overlapping/hanging over the bumper.

I suggest placing it near the edge of the engine hood, centered. Like where most badges are on a cars engine hood. I think you know what I mean.
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LAChevy24's Avatar
    Thanks

not a big fan of it, but your execution is awsome. it looks like something that you would find in a car mag for future cars

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre
    Great job!
    The only thing I can see wrong w/it is the Chevy bowtie. It looks like it was just slapped/stuck on where it is. B/c it is overlapping/hanging over the bumper.

I suggest placing it near the edge of the engine hood, centered. Like where most badges are on a cars engine hood. I think you know what I mean.
    Thanks for the suggestion LeSabre,

It looks a lot better in that position.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LAChevy24
    not a big fan of it, but your execution is awsome. it looks like something that you would find in a car mag for future cars
    Thanks.

I did it on Microsoft Paint, some of it one pixel at a time. Spent half a day.

I bet people can't guess the donor car or even the Brand, which was a 4-door. The only parts untouched are the glass and wing mirrors.

Thanks

I like the second one better, though looks rather plain. I'm guessing you started with a Honda Accord?

Thanks

Horrid... That reflects nothing that even resembles Chevy, other than the bow-tie. Back to the drawing boards..

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Add more chevy to the grill, but I like where you are going with it. It looks like he uses the Acura RSX.
    I think that something like this, given a bit more agressive lines, could be the next Cobalt. One thing I dont liek about the Cobalt is its bubblish look, very round and chubby. Something with sleeker, more taught lines, something like the above, would good great.
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

it looks alot like the cougar redesign that mercury did a couple years ago, which i didnt like then either. but thats suposed to be a CHEVELLE? the same 70's muscle car im thinking of? i dont agree with it at all. if it were to replace the cabalier instead of the cobalt, then i would say ok good idea. but its not a chevelle.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Re: Modern and 'Urban Chic' Chevette

Quote Originally Posted by chakis24
    it looks alot like the cougar redesign that mercury did a couple years ago, which i didnt like then either. but thats suposed to be a CHEVELLE? the same 70's muscle car im thinking of? i dont agree with it at all. if it were to replace the cabalier instead of the cobalt, then i would say ok good idea. but its not a chevelle.
    Thanks for making me aware of my mistake chakis24.

I meant Chevette!

This is meant to be a modern FWD girls or students first car, not a Muscle Car. My Mistake. Damn double t's and double l's.

Also the doner car was a euro, not Japanese.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information