media

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: media

Thanks

media

what types of media do you use? Especially for the work done on paper, and if you can post a link or an image to a sample.

I am trying to hone my skills a little more. Hopefully I will have time to enter this next contest.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: media

Adobe Products are usually the way to go.

STINGRAYSSTUDIO

Works on paper...( plain white stock unlined sheets and/or tracing paper works the best for me) are tipically done with pencil (colored pencils), markers, or pastels. Watercolors also are good, and acrylics can be used for more painted works as well.
    If you want to get real OLD SCHOOL, and have the patience and time, I have seen very nice works done in oil paints on canvas, however acrylics dry much faster.

These media can all be scanned into adobe photo imaging products or other software programs and rendered out there too, if you want to after doing a drawing. If you start
    in image prossesing programs, you can "chop" pictures as is the practice here for many.

Hope that helps you get an idea of "your media", pick what suits your style of working.
    There is no one best way, you will find the one's that work best for you with practice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

If you wanting to become a car designer or anything that is artisticly related you must learn to draw and draw correctly. There is nothing worse than taking a bad drawing and trying to embelish it with color because a bad drawing will always be a bad drawing. So before you go nuts in Photoshop take a step back and evaluate your drawing. A black & white sketch will always go farther and speak volumes more than any rendering.
    So take a pencil/pen/marker and sit down with a stack of copy paper and draw, draw, draw.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Torred is 100% correct about making sure the actual drawing is correct before messing with color. You've got to nail the perspective FIRST!

But to answer your question:

Linework:
    I use 14x17 Beinfang Graphix 360 Marker paper (semi-translucent) for most of my renderings. Overlays are the secret to sharpening up perspective if you are a beginner. Get a ton of ellipse templates, and buy or make ships curves ($$$$$$$$) to make your linework sharp and deliberate looking. NEVER, EVER use a dull pencil. It'll look like crap. I blow through electric pencil sharpeners like no one's business so get a good one, you won't regret it. Sometimes I only use a cheapo Bic or Pilot Razor Point II pen and get cool results. Get a gum eraser (pull it apart and shape it like clay) and Magic Rub white erasers.

Shading:
    Chartpak AD markers are expensive but are the only real choice. Pantone makes cool ones that offer 3 tips but they are super expensive and don't fill or blend well. Prismacolor markers are total garbage. However, they have the best colored pencils and Pastels (for gradiations). Another good thing to have is Sharpie markers.

Highlights (AKA Pigeon Poop):
    Get separate boxes of white Prismacolor colored pencils and use white gouache paint for intense light spots.

Best word of advice I can give: Buy "How to Draw Cars Like a Pro" by Thom Taylor. He goes over everything!

Don't be affraid to make messes. That's how you learn what works and what doesn't. Draw some black linework, make a million copies and practice 'til your arm pretty much falls off. Study other drawings in mags or on this forum and try to copy styles. Draw, Draw, Draw. It takes literally years. Be patient.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Dabanj6; 02-15-2006 at 04:59 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dabanj6
    Torred is 100% correct about making sure the actual drawing is correct before messing with color. You've got to nail the perspective FIRST!

But to answer your question:

Linework:
    I use 14x17 Beinfang Graphix 360 Marker paper (semi-translucent) for most of my renderings. Overlays are the secret to sharpening up perspective if you are a beginner. Get a ton of ellipse templates, and buy or make ships curves ($$$$$$$$) to make your linework sharp and deliberate looking. NEVER, EVER use a dull pencil. It'll look like crap. I blow through electric pencil sharpeners like no one's business so get a good one, you won't regret it. Sometimes I only use a cheapo Bic or Pilot Razor Point II pen and get cool results. Get a gum eraser (pull it apart and shape it like clay) and Magic Rub white erasers.

Shading:
    Chartpak AD markers are expensive but are the only real choice. Pantone makes cool ones that offer 3 tips but they are super expensive and don't fill or blend well. Prismacolor markers are total garbage. However, they have the best colored pencils and Pastels (for gradiations). Another good thing to have is Sharpie markers.

Highlights (AKA Pigeon Poop):
    Get separate boxes of white Prismacolor colored pencils and use white gouache paint for intense light spots.

Best word of advice I can give: Buy "How to Draw Cars Like a Pro" by Thom Taylor. He goes over everything!

Don't be affraid to make messes. That's how you learn what works and what doesn't. Draw some black linework, make a million copies and practice 'til your arm pretty much falls off. Study other drawings in mags or on this forum and try to copy styles. Draw, Draw, Draw. It takes literally years. Be patient.

Good luck!
    whats wrong with prisma markers?

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

i just use a normal pencil for shading, and drawing.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Draw and keep drawing a good sketch will take many, many, many sheets of paper, sitting around watching TV..draw.

STINGRAYSSTUDIO

Boy...you guys got the tech stuff down huh?..coool.
    There is no subsitute for parctice, and don't be afraid to throw s*&t away, you can always do it better again, once you get a clearer concept in your mind.

VISUALIZATION is the key. See it in your mind clearly, and work it on paper 'til you see it there too ! Whatever you use as media, THAT is the key to it ALL.

Just do not quit, no matter what at all...even snide comments !!!!

Thanks

well, I think I am getting ok with my line work, wtill think I need a little work, here's an example;

then here is a more detailed motorcycle I worked on

I see some really nice rendering on some boards done with sketchbook pro or something, and wonder if the only way to get to that type of look is through expensive software?

Thanks

BTW, both were all freehand except a compass on the wheels of the cycle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aLID
    I hope nothingsince I have a few hundred dollars worth of them,

Got them when I was makin money......ahhh those were the days......

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Originally posted by aLid
    They absolutley SUCK! My college instructors told us to buy them at like $35 for a set of 10. They wear out as fast as those crappy kids markers you buy in Staples for $1.50 for 25. They don't blend well, they don't fill an area well and the tiny tip rarely gets ink in it. I bought them once, and bought Chartpaks after that.

The industrial design firm I work in now has an entire closet of Chartpaks since the others just never did the job. Although, we do all our linework in Alias and render concepts in Photoshop now. The car renderings I've done recently are mostly rendered in Photoshop now. It's cheaper, cleaner, you have an electronic file to email quickly and there's always the UNDO button!

Occasionally, I have a client that requests the old school, sketchy rendering and I really enjoy doing it, until I screw up and have to do the whole thing over again. I really love taking a violet blue prisma color pencil and doing loose sketches with some scraped pastels and gouache.

Try a bunch of stuff, and stick with whatever you feel comfortable with. Just have fun and make a mess!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dabanj6
    They absolutley SUCK! My college instructors told us to buy them at like $35 for a set of 10. They wear out as fast as those crappy kids markers you buy in Staples for $1.50 for 25. They don't blend well, they don't fill an area well and the tiny tip rarely gets ink in it. I bought them once, and bought Chartpaks after that.
    anyone wanna buy a bunch of prismacolor markers???

STINGRAYSSTUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by Cdesign
    well, I think I am getting ok with my line work, still think I need a little work, here's an example;

I see some really nice rendering on some boards done with sketchbook pro or something, and wonder if the only way to get to that type of look is through expensive software?
    ...the truck really works good, the moto...you tried to hard. You can do it without $$$software, just pick out the defining lines and leave out the sketchy ones (shading), you'll have a crisp line drawing for digital rendering then, and it will work (see that firebird drawing )...right ?

this drawing is "overworked" in shading, but if you place tracing paper over it
    and "erase" all the crap, it will leave a line drawing that is useable for imaging.
    ... if if a drawing is not your best at first, if it "cops the feel" use it to work off of to geta better picture. (this drawing is a good example of what some of us have done to visualize a design at first, rough sketchy lines that work and work the paper until it almost rips !!!..lol.) that's what your moto did, slow it down clean it up, but don't worry we all do it...even if some of us refuse to admit it !!!!
    I still use older drawings like this to get ideas from, I keep a book of them, good and bad (if it has a redeeming quality) this one had some elements I did want to use again, so I redid it in PS. You'll see later it worked too !....by cleaning up the shading (erase & whitecolor) you can eleiminate the "stuff" you do not need anymore...

....so you can use a crap drawing (if it has the right feel ) if you clean it up. Then it can be re-color shaded with digital paint & textures to bring back the intended surfaces and make it look realistic, ...hope all that helps you get a bit of a handle on how you could do your own thing too !...good luck & have fun !
    Last edited by STINGRAYSSTUDIO; 02-16-2006 at 01:13 AM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information