Making a case for the Monte Carlo

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a case for the Monte Carlo

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 American_Muscle's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Monte Carlo SS/2001/Black

Making a case for the Monte Carlo

I was going to post this a week ago but didn't have time. Now that the new Cruze has been shown, I had to bust this out real quick. It just makes sense.

Heck, even call it the Cruze Monte Carlo (long, but rolls nicely. And I bet many wouldn't even say the word Cruze when mentioning it)

What it should be: a 2 door version of the new Cruze. Cruze is the perfect car for it. Yes I know it's FWD but so were the last two generations. It needs to be FWD in order to separate it from the Camaro. The early 2000's Monte Carlo SS and Camaro base/RS models used the exact same engine. The difference, besides styling, was the Monte was offered with more luxury, and FWD. The Camaro was.. well a Camaro. Now that the new pony has all the luxury you could want, FWD vs RWD is really the only option. Plus, it'll help those of us in the north.

But why bother?

1)GM hasn't offered a cheap, fun to drive Coupe since the Cobalt. The vast majority of the one's I see on the road today are 2-Door, and many are SS's.

2) NASCAR. Chevrolet dominates, and needs a replacement for the SS which is ending production. Between the Camry, Fusion, and SS, the Chevy is the only one that is RWD on the track and in real life. So "using" a 4-door, FWD car wouldn't be an issue (I personally hate it) but it is what it is. Camaro is raced in the XFINITY series against Mustangs/Challangers/Camry's. Impala is too high end to use. Malibu? Maybe. Bring in a 2-Door Cruze with some factory performance upgrades, and you'll have the only thing close to "win on Sunday, sell on Monday". If you pull up to a track today, you'll see many foreign cars. One's that get good gas mileage. And quite a few of the Monte Carlo's. Give fans something with good gas mileage that's fun to drive and won't break the bank, they'll buy it. So will a younger audience outside of the NASCAR world.

Super sloppy chop. Going on vacation tomorrow but felt this needed an image. And it's 11PM https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...86&oe=56266C7F

2. The Following User Says Thank You to American_Muscle For This Useful Post:

Butz (06-24-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts
    My Ride
    16 ATS 3.6 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Re: Making a case for the Monte Carlo

I live for coupes, but I would not buy THAT! (No offense to you skills)
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2009 G6 GXP (Love/Hate/RIP), 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Lincoln MKT

Just let it go..... Unless GM makes a Monte Carlo CUV!.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

I don't understand, why can't a 2 door Cruze just be called a Cruze coupe? Why make up something else. Same with the 2 door Impala threads. Neither need to be renamed Monte Carlo.

The way to differentiate a Monte Carlo from a Camaro is as simple as the 2 cars themselves. The Monte Carlo would be considerably larger than the Camaro. 2 totally different buyers, 2 totally different cars.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

knightfan26917 (06-26-2015),posaune (08-27-2015)

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Like the picture, but the front wheel wells should almost touch rhe Dog Leg, with more of an abrupt leading edge amost like a check mark that fell on it's nose, like Gen 2 and 3 Montes.

Notch back not s

Notched back not sloped back like 2,3 and most 4 Gen Monte's.

Back cut off for a Montino. Or El Monte, or Monte EL?
    Last edited by doh; 06-25-2015 at 10:19 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Cruze coupe is needed and I like where you are going with this chop - but not as a Monte Carlo (that should be a Malibu 2 door) - maybe? haha
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 iluvcamaros's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

I love the idea of a Cruze coupe, but it's no Monte Carlo. I parked my car next to a family members Mazda 3... I felt like I could fit her whole sedan in the trunk of my Monte. The wheelbase of my car is the same as an Impala sedan. Needs to be big(ish) to be a Monte.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Hidden Content

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2004 Buick LeSabre Limited Celebration Edition
    2001 Buick Regal LS
    2001 Chevrolet S-10 4WD

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

RWD fullsize Coupe....it would be a win.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

big swede (07-01-2015),EJD1984 (08-26-2015),knightfan26917 (07-03-2015),posaune (08-27-2015)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Monte Carlo should not be Cruze sized. Build it off the Malibu platform if there isn't going to be a Cruze coupe and you want something most people can afford. Build it off Impala platform if you give it dramatic styling at a $40,000 price point.
    Current rides:
    2018 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    It would be a sale for me.
    Old friends long gone
    Camaro '69 SS, '74, '79 Z-28, '81 Z-28, '88 IROC, '91 Z-28, '98 Z-28.
    Monte Carlo '74, '77, '81

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,401 Times in 1,171 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by PHAT-JAY View Post
    Omega Platform. A cost effective version of a CT6 coupe.

Thanks

The Cruze coupe is a nice idea...the Civic coupe could use some competition. However, the Monte Carlo should at least be based off the Mailbu (echoes of Accord Coupe), if not off of VF or Omega.
    Donne e motori, gioie e dolori

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I'm all for a "Cruze coupe", but it should be just that IMO, a Cruze Coupe. A Monte Carlo would probably need to be based on the new Malibu or Impala, or obviously a RWD platform is ideal. Problem is, a Malibu-based Monte Carlo would be too much like the Camaro for some buyers. Sure you can go with sleek styling and would have a FWD platform since the Camaro won't likely offer AWD anytime soon, but given the market for coupes I don't know that it'd be "different enough" for consumers to have a whole separate niche. Then going up in size to an Impala based product you have something that I think is more significantly different, and the Impala makes a great basis for a gorgeously elegant large coupe. But then just calling it an Impala coupe, which probably has a name with more recognition than Monte Carlo and applicable history for being a coupe itself, makes even more sense. At that point you're left with an Alpha-or-whatever RWD coupe that's larger and more comfort oriented than the Camaro, but I think people would go more for a name like Chevelle or ironically Impala (again, in spite of being a totally different vehicle at that point).

Walking
    Thanks

I have owned a lot of two door coupes and truly love them. I just prefer the look of less doors it just something about the lines. Then I bought my Cruze and when I open all the 5 pieces of glass on a sunny day, I am living the high life. Coupes almost always have fixed glass in the back and the volume and control I have with a 4 door glass is dramatically better. One of the reasons I don't like convertibles is it’s all or nothing and the threat of pretending to become a lobster is just too high. That said if someone wants to try and change my mind I a very open to allowing someone to buy me one, anytime.
    I remember the last itineration of the Monte Carlo. Stick a whole lot of decals on it, paint it wild colours and put it on a race track and it was in its environment. On the street it just plain ugly, like scary bad.

Walking
    Thanks

Hell to the no. If the Monte Carlo is not equipped with a RWD LS* engine of some type, then why bother bringing it back? Chevy has enough of these FWD aluminium 4 & 6 cylinder POS on the road as is. IMO, Monte Carlo, Impala, Malibu, and Camaro should all be equipped with V8 engines. They have to get back to their roots, of RWD V8 muscle cars with raw HP.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information