Liability of Stumbling on an Actual Concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liability of Stumbling on an Actual Concept

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    So here's my question for everyone: Are these readers concepts more danger then good? I mean, don't get me wrong, i absolutly love seeing these things but lets think about it from an automaker/legal point of view. First, many production cars start off as concepts to show off major styling queues. Second, many of the reader's concepts are mild or major revisions to concept cars.

Now,lets suppose one tallented individual saw a concept car, photoshopped it, called it the next Firebird and somehow got it bang-on to what Chevy had plained to release at the next NAIAS?? Does that person have rights to the exterior design? Would Chevy have to delay release to modify it enough so that it would not infringe on the readers design? I'm really not familiar with the law and vehicle plagarism but I do understand that GM/ probably everyone else will not use any public submissions for designs primarily for ownership and libility reasons. I figured this is an interesting question and if anyone knows much about it legally or of incidents i'd love to hear them.

ps On another note, keep pumping out these sweet pictures 'cuse if you do stumble on a real design then you'll just be forcing the company to make their design even better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks
    I heard that one guy photoshopped a concept car, and then mailed it to 10 friends, and told them to forward it to 10 more.
    One of the friends didn't forward the chain, and then Pontiac came out with the Aztek.

:lol:

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Camaro & 2011 GTI
    Originally posted by Rex Raider@Oct 30 2003, 06:41 PM
    I heard that one guy photoshopped a concept car, and then mailed it to 10 friends, and told them to forward it to 10 more.
    One of the friends didn't forward the chain, and then Pontiac came out with the Aztek.

Bahahaha!!! :lol:

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Fortunately, there is no legal basis for your worry. If that was possible then everyone would be suing car companies, among other types of manufacturers, for rights to ideas. If I drew a concept and got a patent on it, and then GM came out with something exactly the same, then there would be grounds for a challenge, but that would never happen.

-E.S. Mail-

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by frenstall@Oct 30 2003, 12:49 PM

Now,lets suppose one tallented individual saw a concept car, photoshopped it, called it the next Firebird and somehow got it bang-on to what Chevy had plained to release at the next NAIAS??
    I don't think we have to worry about Chevy making a Firebird. :P But I know what you mean.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks
    Most of us would be honored and happy to see any of our ideas make it to the showroom. That's the kind of enthusiasts we are. Well, at least I am.

I see no point in sueing or demanding money from GM as if they were the enemy. If they take my idea of using the full-sized Express to make a replacement for the Astro --- that's cool enough for me.

The guys who are really protective of their ideas probably send them in the mail to GM, and it just gets put in a stack in a box, later to be filed away in some giant warehouse, never to be seen again.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hudson's Avatar
    Thanks
    I can't imagine a Photoshopped picture being so close to another individual's (or committee, in the case of GM) design that anyone could take legal action. Unless, of course, the picture was taken after someone had SEEN the actual vehicle...then legal action could be taken if the Photoshopper signed a confidentiality statement. But that's something else entirely.

The closest story I have heard about something like this was when Motor Trend published one of the first Photoshopped photos back in the mid 1990s. The picture of the "Dodge Suburban fighter" was shown to a Chrysler executive who was claimed to have said "where'd you get a photo of that?"

Ming: The concept of an Astro-derivative of the Express has been floating around GM for a number of years.

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Hudson@Oct 31 2003, 10:54 AM
    Ming: The concept of an Astro-derivative of the Express has been floating around GM for a number of years.
    Doh!

11. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information