LEGO Builds

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEGO Builds

Thanks

LEGO Builds

Anyone on this forum build stuff with Lego or Technic?

I acquired a huge lot of lego in all shapes and sizes six years ago thanks to some online discounts, but didn't have much plans for them until recently. Here are some cars I've built so far:

This is my build of the Icon Bronco, intended for a contest but missed the deadline due to work schedules. It is a "Model Team" or model-style build with limited functionalities, such as opening doors, hood, tailgate, spare tire mount, shock absorbers for suspension, solid front and rear axles and a winch.

1956 Ford F100 and Model A. Trailer was to be included but had trouble figuring out the suspension and axle setup for it. Like the Bronco, these are also model-style with limited functionalities. The Model A has faux suspension bits since there wasn't enough room on the frame to allow for real functioning suspension.

A Technic build, my idea of a civilized Batpod, for a contest, didn't miss the deadline this time! The theme of the contest was to use a Technic Lego set made on or after 2005 model year and build an alternative model with the pieces. I had the 8420 street bike set to work with.

There are more, A LOT MORE, photos to see on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My username "BigCatBoy" is because Paul Kim is a very common name, and usernames revolving around that, and any other username I usually use were all taken...
    My Facebook Art Page: Hidden Content
    My FineArtAmerica Page: Hidden Content
    My DeviantArt Page: Hidden Content
    My Instagram Page: Hidden Content

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumblebuffin For This Useful Post:

Canuck (12-01-2014),JimmyDiablo (12-01-2014),Slideways (12-24-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Re: LEGO Builds

Been a LEGO fan since '92, homeboy. They've gone so far down the tubes it's amazing. Minimal creativity in their sets anymore.

They look good, good SNOT work. Try some Cadillacs if you're up for it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-02-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

LOVE the hotrod - nice work. You should submit that Bronco to CUUSO or whatever it is LEGO calls it these days.

Can you do the bikes from AKIRA? I'm a sucker for those in any format
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to camaro_freak For This Useful Post:

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

Much more creative than my stuff as a kid. My mods were limited to putting the double truck tires on the single tire rim to look like fat wheels.

Only slightly on topic, this is a Christmas tree created in Melbourne and now displayed in a Sydney shopping center.

Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to isszy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Been a LEGO fan since '92, homeboy. They've gone so far down the tubes it's amazing. Minimal creativity in their sets anymore.

They look good, good SNOT work. Try some Cadillacs if you're up for it.
    Thanks! I've come to love the SNOT style a lot. I only go studded if the studs actually make for a good pretend design feature (for example, I built a truck recently with a studded bed floor to imitate diamond plating). I thought about some cadillacs, especially like the new ciel or elmiraj, but those are no joke. It's gonna be hard stuff to build. I can't even begin to think about how to build those, haha! Lego made a free digital building program that I usually use, so I could try some builds on that...

I agree the creativity of Lego sets have waned lately, but they still pull through most of the time. One thing I don't like too much personally are the themed sets like batman, minecraft (I love the game, though), and others. Star Wars is okay due to the great compatability with the way the ships and characters are designed.

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    LOVE the hotrod - nice work. You should submit that Bronco to CUUSO or whatever it is LEGO calls it these days.

Can you do the bikes from AKIRA? I'm a sucker for those in any format
    Thank you!

Concerning Cuusoo, it's called Lego Ideas these days. I had already thought about it, but the quality of my builds won't work too well as an official lego set. The truck is too fragile, and even with some functions, playability is extremely limited. Also, Hardly anyone cares what a Bronco is. Usually it's the movie tie-ins or some pop culture sets that get the most votes. Regardless, my builds will never work as an official lego set due to too many problems with children being able to play with it, so I've avoided uploading anything on Ideas so far.

I did consider Kaneda's bike for the technic contest, but the set I used didn't have a lot of useful parts to play around with. I'm thinking about a 1:12 scale Kaneda bike build, but I'm only going to try a build on the Lego Digital Designer program for now. There is another builder who did a fantastic job building that bike though: https://www.flickr.com/photos/arvobr...7638445192565/

Thanks
    Thanked 8,771 Times in 5,646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rumblebuffin View Post
    Thanks! I've come to love the SNOT style a lot. I only go studded if the studs actually make for a good pretend design feature (for example, I built a truck recently with a studded bed floor to imitate diamond plating). I thought about some cadillacs, especially like the new ciel or elmiraj, but those are no joke. It's gonna be hard stuff to build. I can't even begin to think about how to build those, haha! Lego made a free digital building program that I usually use, so I could try some builds on that...
    SNOT has always been the cleanest way of building.

I think they're doing a Ghostbusters set, featuring a Cadillac... but as far as modern, custom Cadillacs, I agree. I can't even begin to fathom a reasonably accurate way to translate Ciel or Elmiraj. To get the curvature of the sides, the musculature of the haunches...

The most easily reproducible design trait would be their lighting signature.

I agree the creativity of Lego sets have waned lately, but they still pull through most of the time. One thing I don't like too much personally are the themed sets like batman, minecraft (I love the game, though), and others. Star Wars is okay due to the great compatability with the way the ships and characters are designed.
    Minecraft as a game wasn't bad for a while. The Star Wars sets have always been good, but they were the beginning of the end. That, plus the flesh-colored minifigures... oy.

First Star Wars, then they acquired the licenses to build anything they wanted. I can't help but feel like all of their sets are tie-ins. Their only creative sets are the big modular town ones now. The small ones are overpriced and underwhelming.

I haven't bought or built anything in going on a decade, but I still follow and get the magazines and catalogs. Still, my childhood was basically one big Castle set (my favorite theme, by the way).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-13-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar donmateo's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '12 Impala LTZ, '82 K10

I've built dozens of Lego buildings from small houses to a condo building about 2' x 5' x 2' all from scratch. Great hobby and can be challenging/mentally stimulating if you find a good project.
    Hey, you gotta watch that man...He'll go coastal on ya

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donmateo For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-13-2014),sfbreh (12-08-2014)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,533 Times in 3,769 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

I love Legos as well.

Absolutely awesome work. Keep it up!
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-13-2014)

Thanks

Here are some photos of my latest build, a 1983 Hilux in the style of the Back to the Future movie. I loved building this truck compared the the previous stuff. The front end of this truck was the most difficult because I really wanted to get the look right, and I am challenging myself in building all my vehicles in the same scale as each other (the scale being 1:12.5).

It's got a LS1/LT1 conversion in it, just for kicks...

More can be seen on my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I'm still in the process of cleaning up my Lego collection by building stuff to get them out of the way. My next vehicle will be a GM truck, but I don't know when it'll be finished. It will be my biggest build yet, or probably the biggest I'll ever build period.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rumblebuffin For This Useful Post:

donmateo (12-14-2014),Envoy4Life (12-14-2014),sfbreh (12-14-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Spectacular job, rumblebuffin. Keep up the great work, and of course, keep posting the results on here! You can bet they'll be much admired and appreciated.
    Current:

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-14-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    Spectacular job, rumblebuffin. Keep up the great work, and of course, keep posting the results on here! You can bet they'll be much admired and appreciated.
    Thanks! I definitely will. I hope to upload some other artwork in the future, see if this section of the forums can come alive again.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Rumblebuffin For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (12-14-2014)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

Great work!
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PHAT-JAY For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (12-14-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Thanks! I definitely will. I hope to upload some other artwork in the future, see if this section of the forums can come alive again.
    I'm all for a revitalization of this part of the forum.
    Current:

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Rumblebuffin (04-05-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Wow, excellent! I spent hours and hours and hours of my childhood playing with Lego; wasn't into GI Joe and only a short time into Transformers. It was all Lego all the time for me! While I like the Bronco, the Toyota pickup is just too cool!

Now the obvious question... when are you doing the Delorean??? I can picture the piece you could use for the flux capacitor!
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

29. The Following User Says Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,380 Times in 2,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Impressive. Thanks for sharing these with us.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast