GTO concept, 42 inches tall mid-engine

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GTO concept, 42 inches tall mid-engine

Thanks

GTO concept, 42 inches tall mid-engine

amateur here, all comments welcome.

i am currently doing a bunch of research on perspective drawing , along with exercising sketching using the principles i learn.

this is actual drawing, not a tracing, but i did base the proportions on a vintage photo of a ford GT40 racing entering a turn. the 70 gto inspired 'face' is from memory. one of my fave all time car front end designs!

thanks everyone.
    Last edited by joegagan; 08-22-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: update pic

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GTO concept, 42 inches tall mid-engine

No. No. Did I mention no?

It's a great drawing - it's just too retro for my personal tastes. Also - 42 inches tall? Uhh...will Shaq be driving this any time soon?

It IS a great drawing though. Keep up the good work!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

As a modern car, too retro. I do like it, kind of a "what if" thing. I can already imagine this up against the Pantera and AMX3, had it been built.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

One of the best designs I've seen in this subforum so far.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ZHDesign57's Avatar
    Thanks

That's great for an amateur. Lets see more of you!
    "You can design a car, so every time you get in it, it's a relief - you have a little vacation." - Harley Earl

Thanks

I love it. It's passive aggressive looking. Put some futuristic side-markers on it, angle the side belt lines a little more (lower in the front, higher in the back). Put round HIDs in the headlights, but keep the square sockets (with radius corners) that you've got and outline them using an LED or cold-cathode "halo light" and you've got a really great car.

Thanks

Very unexpected, but I really like it. From an artistic standpoint, I think it is certainly better than most of what we see on GMi. And now you have me thinking about GM commissioning a small batch of a mid-engine supercars from Lingenfelter or Hennessey.

Thanks

thanks everyone.

i am kind of burned out on most aspects of the retro craze myself, but there are exceptions (imo). i recall it was around 93 that car mags started using the term retro with regards to design, we have been in a 15 year retro phase ha ha

retros( or retro inspired) that i like:

2010 camaro- captures the passion of the original while totally modern
    HHR SSR chevies - they just look great!
    Solstice wow, just awesome
    vw beetle, really nice rework that still feels a little like the original.
    mini cooper.
    current mustang. aggressive and beautiful from any angle ( still like the camaro much more)

don't like so much:

ford tbird. front is great, but laying down the tailamps was a nod to the wrong kind of modern.
    plymouth pt cruiser. just don't like the lines of it. was a great idea, and important because it paved the way for a lot of other niche products of all makes.
    new challenger. ( i might get some flak for saying this?) it looks too similar to the original- for a retro to really ignite passion it has to add something visually to the recipe. the challenger says boring to me, we have a few rolling around my neighborhood...

would love to hear other peoples fave and not so fave retro type designs. plus i probably forgot some.

back to the sketch ( and thanks again for the nice comments)

my fantasy ---- pontiac decided in 67 to branch out the performance line with a corvette beater, using the strength of the GTO name and performance image.

for 71,
    the 'regular' GTO would continue on as the new lemans with can am package, judge discontinued. all new 71 GTO retains 1970 goat front end styling to move the pontiac buyers upmarket, keeping the familiar.

pontiac engineers work feverishly retrofitting the 400 into a mid-engine configuration on a race inspired chassis, state of the art for 68!
    sales lag of the newly introduced 68 vette gives gm brass the incentive to stir things up by greenlighting the 'super goat' ( as the press have dubbed it after seeing the concept model at the 69 detroit auto show).

car is launched march of 71 due to some supplier issues, transaxle durability problems etc. wins car of the year in motor trend despite its rare status. press absolutley eats the car up, they love it with its 12.94 quarter mile times and stellar, race inspired handling. outsells corvette by a slight margin despite the short model year run.

72 sees even higher sales, but a tragic set of events signals the end of the road for the super goat. ralph nader, seeking to further his cause, petitions congress in a highly publicized campaign to end what he calls "sport missiles of death". he asks congress to enact legislation to severely limit horsepower and outlaw the use of race type cars on the street. he singles out mach 1 mustangs and the new gto as examples. using a newspaper report from berwyn illinois, he angrily describes an accident where two children die after being t-boned by a 71 gto driven by a 19 year old. no legislation is passed, but the public relations damage was severe enough that pontiac buckled and announced there would be no 73 gto.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it... would make a great limited production run liek the new/old Eleanor Mustangs

I personally love the retro look but you could square it up a bit I guess....

nice job!
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

Thanks

Nice. I love it. Reminds of the late 70's Firebird(don't remember which year). I can never draw like that. 10/10. You win the GOLD MEDAL. He He. :P
    Hidden Content

Also, sign up on my new, Pontiac tribute site, let your voice be heard at:
    Hidden Content , and talk about anything Pontiac, and share the fond memories of once a great brand who became a victim of GM's mismanagement and faltering economy.

Thanks

i love it, absolutely looove it.
    i wonder how does it look from other angles

i can almost seee it in yellow, or orange

Thanks

thanks again. i have envisioned this concept in my mind for over a year now, nice to see it resonates with other car lovers.

have been learning from some of the design forums, the difference between sketch perspective vs. photographic perspective.

grand prix08, the way i got the proportions correct was using the old technique of dividing the photo into a graph so that everything is correct size and angle. the hardcore designers would tell me that pure drawing using non-photo perspective is better, but i am also studying that method.

GP08, do you know the graph method? my grandfather was a sign painter for chevrolet from 1938 to 1966, he taught me the basics of graphing for proportion when i was about 9 since he knew i liked to draw cars.

will work on rendering a side and rear angle for you all, thanks for the request.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

I saw the GT40 influence immediately. Still, it's a great drawing (the front end is great). It's just a little too retro for my tastes.

Thanks

i appreciate it, 264###.

here is a repost of the drawing as it appeared the first two days of this thread:

Thanks

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information