The Great GMI Performance Car Photo Shoot

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great GMI Performance Car Photo Shoot

GMI Contributor Premium Member Ming's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb The Great GMI Performance Car Photo Shoot

The Great GMI Performance Car Photo Shoot - 1973 to Present

PLEASE READ:

Ever get tired of seeing the same 3 stock photos around the web for GM cars that date back 10 to 20 years? Ever wish you could see another angle or a different paint color of that rare 1980's Monte Carlo Aerocoupe? Ever feel like some obscure GM cars of the past might get lost to the mists of time if we don't preserve their images digitally?

The Reader's Talent section seemed a good place to call on the great photographers in our midst to participate in a project I've been wanting to put together for almost a year now.

Now that Digital Cameras are capable of generating great photos with minimal hassle or expense, and considering we already have a lot of great photographers here in our midst, this seems like the perfect time to start.

The Guidelines are simple and loose. The Goal is to seek out and take great original photos of the High Performance and Performance Trim cars on THIS LIST. We can do trucks in another thread. Same goes for non-GM brand cars. For now let's keep the scope narrow. We can do other "generations" of GM cars in another thread.

Update: I've added 12 more years to the scope - see this "Part II" List: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=41165

If you're a real shutterbug, then print the list out from the link: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11758 , and go hunting! Car shows, used and new car dealer lots, or your neighbor's driveway might be good places to start. Please make sure (especially if the car is not yours), that you blur out the license plates. Clearly some of the race cars on the list will be next to impossible to take original photos of, assuming they even still exist. But a shot of Rhys Millen's current GTO in D1 Drifting, or the Cadillac CTS-V in the Speed World Challenge right now would also be great to add if you take trips to the racetracks where they compete.

If you see cars that don't quite fit into the exact year on the list above, or you see a car that you think should be on the list, then that's fine - go ahead and add it here. Also, if you already have some photos in your collection of the cars on the list, feel free to add them! I'd prefer that this not just begin and end with "Here's my car", but if you have great photos of your own car, and its on the list or similar to a car on the list please add them as well. Also, if you see 3 people have already posted 1999 Trans Am photos, try to go for something else on the list, especially the more obscure ones.

Also, if your car isn't anywhere close to being on the list -- say its a 2005 Aveo, or a base model 2000 Grand Prix -- but you still want to show off your shots, then you are encouraged to post a new thread in our Member's Garage forum, right HERE.

Please reply directly to this thread with your photos. Please don't post them too large (1280x1024 absolute max, 800x600 or smaller preferred, with a link). If you have a means of hosting large photos, then please use a thumbnail method to provide access them ( www.imageshack.us provides multiple URLs for different ways to post photos). Post a link to a "Large Shot" for wallpaper size photos if you can. One bonus of this collaboration (I hope) is that we come away with plenty of wallpaper-worthy shots for GM fans' desktops.

Please try to take 2-3 photos of the car, if possible. That way we can see the taillights, side profile, etc. If you'd like to use photoshop or some other editor to make your photos look better then go ahead, but try to keep the car looking natural.

Use the GMI attachment method or a site like Image Shack to host your photos. Or your own blog if you have one. I will take many of the best shots and post them into the GMI gallery and lpossibly post them in another "show off" thread with a reference to you (or your user name) as the photographer. Please note that when you post the photo here it should be "public domain" - meaning you don't mind if I host it here and it gets watermarked with the GMInsidenews.com logo. If you like, post a small, unintrusive "Photo By XXXX" in the lower LEFT corner of the image. (Anywhere but the lower right where the GMI watermark is automatically added by the GMI gallery)

This is not a contest. It's simply a place to show off your great photo-taking talents to other GMI members - and help preserve images of great (and forgotten) GM cars of the past 20+ years.

Here's and example of the preferred posting format (A shot I took of my 2000 Bonneville SSEi with a sub-par camera -- I need a new one!):

Large Shot

LET THE PHOTO SHOOTING BEGIN!
    Last edited by Ming; 11-28-2006 at 04:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: The Great GMI Performance Car Photo Shoot

Excellent 2004 CTS-V photos by GMI member Jon04CTS-V (see the high-res "Large Shots"):

Large Shot

Large Shot
    Last edited by Ming; 07-30-2006 at 12:26 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Not really a "photoshoot" because I can't move the car considering that it hardly runs. Here's a great picture of it though which is featured on Wikipedia.org (Thanks, Bravada):
    1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

Nice pics, all three of them. Too bad my Van/Tahoe aren't performance or cars...keep up the great work!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TaHoE
    Nice pics, all three of them. Too bad my Van/Tahoe aren't performance or cars...keep up the great work!
    Slap an SS badge on it and they'll both be high-performance.
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

Thanks

The Monte Carlo from 1986 is the perfect blend of masculine, hard edged styling cues mixed with aerodynamics, I think. A great looking car.

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Not really a "good" photo, but...

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Sedan

Large Shot: https://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/g...0/IMG_0240.jpg

That was just after I waxed it with Zaino. I am going to try to take it somewhere to get cool pics of it.
    Last edited by Ming; 07-31-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Thanks

Love that color and those wheels - I added a link to the large shot in the gallery.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 knightfan26917's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Grand Marquis; 81mc

Quote Originally Posted by Ming
    The Monte Carlo from 1986 is the perfect blend of masculine, hard edged styling cues mixed with aerodynamics, I think. A great looking car.
    *grins*

Won't get an argument out of me on this . He he he

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker
    MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/
    Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html
    "I wonder if it's too late" ... Nickelback ... 'Photograph'

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Haha. I don't doubt that, knightfan. Great idea Ming. I love all of those pictures, but espessially that one of the CTS-V.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Thanks
    I got a pic but I'm stupid I don't know how to post...
    </IMG></IMG></IMG>

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/1493/dsc00251yf7.jpg

sorry so many post tring to see if it post the real pic not a link...
    meatball making time I''l be back in a min.
    Last edited by Ming; 08-01-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by boston boy
    I got a pic but I'm stupid I don't know how to post...
    </IMG></IMG></IMG>
    Use the little mountain-sun icon when you post here and paste your hosted image URL (from www.imageshack.us) into it - it will automatically do the tagging for you.

Also, note that unlike standard HTML that uses greater than / less than signs, the forumware uses brackets to surround IMGs. [ ] The first bracket has no backslash, the final surrounding bracket has a backslash. [ / ]

When in doubt use "Quote" and look to see how we've formatted it in our posts above.

Boston boy - use the "quote" button on RMODYS's last post, and inspect the content of the post. Then just copy that method.

Quote Originally Posted by boston boy
    I am stupid on things like this...
    but what you are saying copy&paste the pic and use it in those quote that I just used for you're quote???
    I'm like captain caveman
    I mean when you quote it, you see the quote above the new text your writing. When you quote RMODYS's post, you'll see how he put yours in.

You could cut & paste his text into a new post (not mine here), and just change whatever URL is between the tags like this [IMG]YOUR PHOTO's URL[/IMG].

When you are at Image Shack, copy the Direct Link to Image URL, too. Nothing with little HREF stuff or greater than / less than symbols.
    Last edited by Ming; 08-01-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

Dealer shot decked out on the floor the 2006 Cadillac CTS with the 18" wheel sport appearance package. I drove her home later that afternoon.
    GM's first buyout 1986, now in South Florida - Car Heaven, all cars sell well here ! Hidden Content
    2013 Cadillac SRX Premium / 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance

Thanks

CTS lines not seen by most:
    GM's first buyout 1986, now in South Florida - Car Heaven, all cars sell well here ! Hidden Content
    2013 Cadillac SRX Premium / 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

That CTS is stunning, I love it!

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information