GM supercar brand

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GM supercar brand

Thanks

GM supercar brand

I was thinking 'Stingray' could become GMs supercar brand, the name has history with the 'vette and my idea for a supercar would have Corvette V8s, possibly a generation ahead, or with forced inductions.

The name of this car is Valence, (not valance), it means:
    the capacity of one person or thing to react with or affect another in some special way, as by attraction or the facilitation of a function or activity.

But I'm not in it for the names...

So this would hold a supercharged version of the 7.0 V8 in the current GM line up, namely Corvette and HSV W427.

I know some people think supercars are not an economically viable option for GM, but if you think about it, GM has little bragging rights. VW has close ties with Bugatti, Bentley, Lambo, Porsche, Fiat with Ferrari, Maseratti, even Ford has the GT. It's catch up time... and this car would catch up with anything on the road. /end braveheart-GM speech.

Project two underway...
    Last edited by Joe88; 05-26-2010 at 03:15 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: GM supercar brand

Maybe Cunningham.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

That is fantastic, I love it. Three things though, the headlights are not really fitting with any GM styling, it looks like the rear wing doesn't meet the other side as it should, and it doesn't appear to have any sort of bonnet opening. The proportions and profile are awesome, and the name is great.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slideways View Post
    That is fantastic, I love it. Three things though, the headlights are not really fitting with any GM styling, it looks like the rear wing doesn't meet the other side as it should, and it doesn't appear to have any sort of bonnet opening. The proportions and profile are awesome, and the name is great.

Cheers for the comments guys, and Sideways I can see where you're coming from, the wing is meant to be in two parts, but it doesn't line up... was taking ages to get it not looking too odd, but err... maybe I failed a little there. The headlights are a bit odd, was going for a bit of a stingray vibe, and I'm not a massive fan of alot of the headlights GM is coming up with, but I agree they do need work, this version was one of many, and the bonnet opening follows the door line, the wheel arch, and the front bumper... all to reduce the number of shut lines for aerodynamics, and to get that le mans look when the bonnet opens up a big section.

I was trying to draw inspiration from...

I figure alot of designs followed the stealth bomber look.. e.g. Lambo. So I think this is one of the new 'cools' in car design... the plane... not my draing.

The cool cars GM makes just arent trickling down into the rest, would the Golf/Rabbit be as popular without the GTIs R32s R20s... I doubt it. People know VAG built the Veyron, so an Audi will have some good research behind it, because they share some facilities and attitudes. The Vette and Camaro are very very cool cars... but they're not the benchmark GM needs to lift its image. GMs turning into an unreliable Toyota (exceptions ofcourse, some models look and are amazing..but the dull stuff certainly is dull) let's kill the dullness with a few seriously mean cars.

/end babbling.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

What's this?
    Ya need a name for a GM supercar brand...I gots it, but ALOT of people will moan, groan & bitch(though some won't & maybe agree w/me)...but here it is anyway.

PONTIAC!

!!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Yeah, I'm still not getting what you're trying to accomplish with the rear wing, maybe a rear 3/4 view? The SR-71 is a good source of inspiration, although if you'd have asked me, I would have said it looks like a Corvette Indy meets F-22.
    That is one of the coolest greenhouses I've ever seen by the way, excellent job. The headlights aren't bad, and I like that they are long, because mid-engined supercars often need something up front to break things up and add interest.

Thanks

I'm really enjoying this thread,
    but I wonder whether a GM-centric thread really belongs on this forum?

Thanks

Re: Pontiac... I agree, it was in the comp' rules not to use it, I'd be all over Pontiac trust me, I thought it was the GM brand with the most potential. Certainly my favourite brand to design for, really suits what I like to draw, but usually in the comp rules that it's not allowed... seems to be a deviation toward production ready FWDs, which is fair enough. But it's just not my cup of tea, I like to draw the top of the range and then dress the car down for entry models not try and shove grannys camry/accord etc in heels and red lip stick and hope it looks more appealing.

Re: The wing... I know, it's pretty crap, look at the way the Zondas is split, that was the idea (failed at it but it worked in my head), but with more Ferrari F50 dorwn the sides, the other chunk on the back right is the other side of the wing, I know it looks a bit like the rest of the car should be there... proportions are tricky

Re: 'looks like a Corvette Indy meets F-22', yeah that was the sort of direction, as in the comp I went with the Stingray name, I wanted a touch of chevy... and a touch of fighter jet.

Re: 'That is one of the coolest greenhouses I've ever seen ', great, thanks very much.

Re: the wrong forum bit... it was moved here by admin, I had it placed in the comp thread but there wasn't enough entries so it got the boot.

Thanks for the comments guys, when I get my laptop up and running I'll work on a new version.
    Any comment is taken as a good one, so trash it if you hate it, praise if you love it, if there's a hint to why you think either way then that's what I'm after.
    Last edited by Joe88; 06-11-2010 at 10:50 AM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

GM doesn't need to create a supercar brand. GM should make the supercar a trim level. Cadillac should get a Cien. The new Corvette will continue its legacy. That's all GM needs.

If you want a new Chevy, I have it! Hidden Content
    If you want to get rid of your old car, I'll take it! Hidden Content
    I can give you $2,000 or more for any trade if you buy a used vehicle! Hidden Content
    NEW VEHICLES UNDER MSRP

Another dealer: "You're too much of a gearhead to sell cars." Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    GM doesn't need to create a supercar brand. GM should make the supercar a trim level. Cadillac should get a Cien. The new Corvette will continue its legacy. That's all GM needs.
    Well my idea was to have this 'Stingray' brand (just an idea for the name) with one or two hyper-cars, and then use it as a trim (inc. engines/big brake packs, not just spoilers and 'sport' badges) level for the rest, like the SLS is for the AMG badge. The label has to show a connection to something unique otherwise it will be pretty meaningless.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information