To get more serious about car design or not?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To get more serious about car design or not?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC MrJamesMc's Avatar
    Thanks

To get more serious about car design or not?

I have been drawing the 2D sides of cars since i was 11, and only just the sides. Not the front, back, or 3D drawings, just 2D flat drawings of the profile of cars. I have kept my drawings from the age of 11 till now and i have improved drastically from then but still am just drawing the sides. Should I go about doing 3D practice drawings or consider something else? I will not be heart broken if anyone says I suck, I can easily go into architecture and/or development, so I am not banking on any one thing. Here is a recent drawing of four cars below:

Thanks for your answers!
    Last edited by MrJamesMc; 08-16-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: To get more serious about car design or not?

not bad, i like the second one

Thanks

You seem to have a good sense of proportion. If you enjoy it, keep doing it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Not bad, start drawing 2D drawings of front (and rear if you want)
    and then start drawing 3D.

Thanks

practice makes perfect.

i would suggest tracing the profile of some cars that you like to get your proportions down even better. the rear of your car looks like its falling off the back of it. the downward slop on the rear of your car makes it look like the front is lifting off the ground. also keeping the bottom of the car flat from bumper to bumper will help it look less like the car is bending at the ends. most cars have a line going the opposite way, from high in the back to lower in the front, this gives the car a sence of movement even standing still. i've attached a car i drew a while back with some lines droped over it to illustrate what i'm talking about.

3/4 view opens up a whole new bucket of worms....
    Last edited by aLID; 10-16-2007 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks

The 1st and 2nd ones look like the '97-'03 GP Sedan.

Thanks

off topic, nice pics of Seattle on your Myspace!! You really showed it off well!
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

Banned
    Thanks

Keep doing it if you enjoy it. Nothing is better or more rewarding than to follow through with something you enjoy. If you continue to work hard and develop your skill some more, you may be able to get through school and maybe even a career for a manufacturer- perhaps BMW??

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

Quote Originally Posted by MrJamesMc
    I have been drawing the 2D sides of cars since i was 11, and only just the sides. Not the front, back, or 3D drawings, just 2D flat drawings of the profile of cars. I have kept my drawings from the age of 11 till now and i have improved drastically from then but still am just drawing the sides. Should I go about doing 3D practice drawings or consider something else? I will not be heart broken if anyone says I suck, I can easily go into architecture and/or development, so I am not banking on any one thing. Here is a recent drawing of four cars below:

Thanks for your answers!
    If you enjoy drawing the vehicles but you want to move onto something a little more, I say go ahead and begin drawing the fronts and rears of the vehicles. It will probably wind up giving you a good perception of how lines travel around the vehicle, then, when you are ready to move on again, attempt 3/4 views.

Personally, I did the same thing as mentioned above, and it has been going pretty well IMO.

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrJamesMc
    I have been drawing the 2D sides of cars since i was 11, and only just the sides. Not the front, back, or 3D drawings, just 2D flat drawings of the profile of cars. I have kept my drawings from the age of 11 till now and i have improved drastically from then but still am just drawing the sides. Should I go about doing 3D practice drawings or consider something else? I will not be heart broken if anyone says I suck, I can easily go into architecture and/or development, so I am not banking on any one thing. Here is a recent drawing of four cars
    Do what you think you are best at. I only drew 2D side profiles until just about a year ago, when I decided that I would try fronts/rears as well.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    A note to all design contest participants - if I pound you with penalties or point out that you can't enter one of your designs, please do not think that this is a personal bash on you as a designer. I am merely enforcing the rules that I have set down.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Hi MrJamesMc

Everyone starts out just drawing side views, then front and back. It's always hard moving to the next level and doing 3D - for about a month. Then you get used to it and get better and better at it.

I've made a simple 3D car template below to help you practice. Just print it out on paper and use it as a guide. The lines print very faint and you don't have to use their shapes, they are only guides. You can move the parts and lines whereever you want using sweeping curves or sharp angles etc. Don't be limited by the template, let it free you to draw what you want, but let it guide your '3D perspective'.

You can make other templates from pictures you like by using tracing paper and just tracing the minimum outlines very lightly and edges and corners and wheels etc. Then scan it as a Jpeg and print it out on normal paper.

Here's a quick few minutes ballpoint pen sketch I did over the template as an example.

And if you can't see the template on the scan, here's a high contrast copy.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 08-16-2007 at 12:41 AM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information