Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC CaddyFanFL's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post
    This grill looks more stately, luxury brand worthy for Lincoln than the one on the MKZ concept.
    The horizontal grill of the concept MKZ belongs on a Pontiac.
    IMO, this chrome-grille reminds me of the aftermarket pimped up Chrysler 300s. And even if it reminds somebody of the Jaguars - copying other brands is not the route to success and would be rightfully criticized - especially on this forum.
    Last edited by CaddyFanFL; 01-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

The original grille lacks any sort of elegance, IMO. And if the people at Ford were astonished by it, wow, they've got bigger problems than they realize. Someone needs to wake Bill Ford and co. and tell them it's not 1986, or even 2005 anymore. Times have changed, tastes have changed. If Cadillac was offering the sorts of products Lincoln was offering they would've followed Pontiac to the grave.

I like the general shape of your grille, 2b2. It's probably the shading that's throwing people off.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

The 2012 MKZ concept IMO is terrible, the horizontal grill is possibly the worse thing.
    I am not impressed at all by Max Wolff & his team at Lincoln.
    The current grill is the best grill since the late 90's to early 2000s.
    The MKR is a better concept than the 2012 MKZ concept.

The only thing I did like about the MKZ concept was the steering wheel.
    It has a nice fresh design to it.
    Not the corporate Ford steering wheel.

!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

^ to be fair, we don't know that ANYthing about the Z concept is what Mr. Wolff would've wanted
    it's what got approved

Quote Originally Posted by 2648562 View Post
    The original grille lacks any sort of elegance, IMO. And if the people at Ford were astonished by it, wow, they've got bigger problems than they realize. Someone needs to wake Bill Ford and co. and tell them it's not 1986, or even 2005 anymore. Times have changed, tastes have changed. If Cadillac was offering the sorts of products Lincoln was offering they would've followed Pontiac to the grave.

I like the general shape of your grille, 2b2. It's probably the shading that's throwing people off.
    re-thanks, 2648562. to my mind they're just "nacelle" shapes
    not far from the original MKS Concept
    here's an old quickie chop

part of my dislike of the 'ribcage' grille is that it looks so flat from certain angles & pix

I've been thinking about mesh/mesh-like grilles for Lincolns *as an option* for some time
    & am sure that "some exquisite detailing" could be incorporated into them, perhaps with vertical &or horizontal patterning

esp. with hidden HLs, a jewelry-look grille wouldn't be too over-the-top -- imho it could be something whose "time has come" (again)

...thinking something necessarily computer-modeled and near-fractal in complexity
    with intricacies appearing at different distances: across the street, a foot, with nose touching...

unfortunately producing an original and realistic-looking rendering of that is beyond my digital-drawing skills-&-software,
    maybe a search of photos of cars from the 20's & 30's would yield a donor?
    (too bad artisan weavers don't work in chrome - afaik)
    Last edited by 2b2; 01-23-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    here's an old quickie chop

I like this chop. Its very nice.
    The grill isn't too bad at all. Though could be played with a bit.
    Maybe elongating the grill across w/a split in the middle, pushing the headlights to the corners.
    Do one in black & one in chrome.

!!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

THANKS, Cire
    tho still want to figure out a more patent-able Lincoln look

edit
    (key fiddler on the roof singing Tradition)
    grille swiped from a Mark 9 concept drawing
    I think this one is my favorite. It actually looks like a Lincoln grille. I also think it is a design that would work well on both cars and crossovers (something the split wing grille doesn't seem to do at all).

To me, that horizontal mess on the front of the MKZ Concept doesn't look like "Lincoln" at all. I know the brand is trying to reinvent itself, but horizontal grille elements seems like an answer to a question that no one asked. I love the overall look of the concept, but the front end ruins it for me. I keep trying to convince myself that it looks okay, but it just doesn't. Besides, the Ford brand uses a lot of horizontal elements on the front of its products, it seems like the vertical elements would further differentiate Lincoln from Ford (not that a grille would be all that it takes).

I think very highly of Mr. Wolff and I really want to see Lincoln become relevant again, but it worries me that this is his solution for the front end and that Lincoln executives were awed by it. I would love to see what the front end actually looked like before he tweaked it.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I hear in person the Lincoln grille from detroit looks good...so hopefully this new look for lincoln will be a winner.

Many journalists are pro lincoln revival and they have seen the product coming...

Hope its true.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cire_1wb View Post
    ...I think very highly of Mr. Wolff and I really want to see Lincoln become relevant again, but it worries me that this is his solution for the front end and that Lincoln executives were awed by it. I would love to see what the front end actually looked like before he tweaked it.
    since Mr. Wolff only changed the front & rear,
    imho it was a Direct transposition of MKR styling.

I can't imagine that the MKR's grille was changed much or else SOMEbody in the approval would've fallen in love with it (whatever it looked like ) and would've made a stink about letting the new guy at it

imho^

edit/btw
    re-found a post from FiN I mentioned earlier
    dug up my old MkRhinoplasty chop from December 2006

"Hey, Max, could you come up with a new face for the MKR? We're gonna use it for the new MKZ's body."
    "Sure ... if you let me do the back too."
    "What's wrong with the back?"
    "Not much - it's just a little plain."
    "OK."
    Last edited by 2b2; 01-24-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

since Mr. Wolff only changed the front & rear,
    imho it was a Direct transposition of MKR styling.

I can't imagine that the MKR's grille was changed much or else SOMEbody in the approval would've fallen in love with it (whatever it looked like ) and would've made a stink about letting the new guy at it

imho^

edit/btw
    re-found a post from FiN I mentioned earlier
    dug up my old MkRhinoplasty chop from December 2006

"Hey, Max, could you come up with a new face for the MKR? We're gonna use it for the new MKZ's body."
    "Sure ... if you let me do the back too."
    "What's wrong with the back?"
    "Not much - it's just a little plain."
    "OK."
    To sum up my feelings on the front end design: It looks rather weak and it doesn't look like "Lincoln" to me. I love the rest of the design though. I would like to see Lincoln continue the practice of putting the Lincoln badge on the front fenders though; I always liked that particular design cue.

As far as the split wing grille: It was perfected on the 2013 MKS. I really think it doesn't need to be tweaked beyond that. If the original front end design of the 2013 MKZ was close to that of the 2013 MKS, then Lincoln should have left it alone.

By the way, I like your chop of the MKR Concept. The size of the grille in your chop makes the front end look much more appealing. The MKR Concept was stunningly gorgeous, but that huge grille was hideous.
    Last edited by cire_1wb; 01-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.

2b2
    Thanks

I like your less "fussy" hood, and the personality the headlights have. I hope you'll spend some time with it in PS because I think you're really on to something with the smaller headlights and bolder grille.
    HEY, 2648562, remember this thread?

Thanks to Brady Holt of the Examiner for taking some much better donor photos from the DC Autoshow
    so
    back to the idea of reconciling the vertical and horizontal elements of the grille

with this angle to work with, I modified the back half along the same lines as my MKS chop:
    with the greatly simplified 'shoulder line' fading out by the rear door,
    and instead the beltine continues to a higher trunklid

Thanks

Wow man, that looks good. The headlights just fit perfectly with the grille and the rest of the design. The grille is distinctive without being gaudy, and the hood looks great too. Nice work, I wish I could do that!

2b2
    Thanks

Thanks, 2648562, v.glad you like it
    may or maynot do one more with horizontal-ized slats - depends on what's at the Chicago show
    &
    if you want to give chopping a try, I suggest some really Oooold/free software: PaintShopPro ver 3.11 - has a very gentle learning curve
    Just spend every free moment and a bunch that aren't playing with it
    Think it took me 10+ years to even try airbrushing & 'masks'

Thanks

Thanks, 2648562, v.glad you like it
    may or maynot do one more with horizontal-ized slats - depends on what's at the Chicago show
    &
    if you want to give chopping a try, I suggest some really Oooold/free software: PaintShopPro ver 3.11 - has a very gentle learning curve
    Just spend every free moment and a bunch that aren't playing with it
    Think it took me 10+ years to even try airbrushing & 'masks'
    I think I would like to see it with horizontal bars, now that you've mentioned it. Of course, in a few days you might have an even better photo to play around with.

I was thinking about your car today, too. I know this is kind of cheesy... and it's been done... but with all the automakers being so crazy about accent lighting today... have you thought about maybe making the Lincoln emblem glow? That made me laugh as I typed it, but you know what I mean (I know it would be hard or impossible to chop). I was just thinking the emblem seems like a natural place to add some life--especially for a brand that thinks they should be techy.

You're 100% right about PSP, too. I had a few versions of it back in the day and I liked it quite a bit (what a value). I used to be pretty proficient with the smudge tool and clone brush (and copy and paste), but NOWHERE near as good as you and some of the others here are. I think 8.11 or 8.33 was the last version I had??? Anyhow, since discovering the DSLR and digital photography, I've been playing around with PS (at least whenever I have some decent photos to play with, which is actually pretty rare). It's frustrating compared to PSP, but there are plenty of books and tutorials out there, for what I'm doing today at least. If I ever get a strong enough urge to chop a car I'll probably take your advice, though.

2b2
    Thanks

Oops missed your post
    I think I would like to see it with horizontal bars, now that you've mentioned it. Of course, in a few days you might have an even better photo to play around with.

I was thinking about your car today, too. I know this is kind of cheesy... and it's been done... but with all the automakers being so crazy about accent lighting today... have you thought about maybe making the Lincoln emblem glow? That made me laugh as I typed it, but you know what I mean (I know it would be hard or impossible to chop). I was just thinking the emblem seems like a natural place to add some life--especially for a brand that thinks they should be techy.
    haven't tried the horizontal yet
    today got on a 'shoulda' fixation - think if Lincoln (ie Fomoco) is as uncertain of a grille/styling direction as I think,
    they shoulda just gone mesh for a cycle - on All models
    instead of "flailing" around with BOTH the vertical mini-slats AND then the horizontal within the space of a month&half...
    ...a chopper friend of mine still thinks the production Z will have some kind of vertical treatment. Who can say for sure?

I'd be fine with:
    if the grille went to the headlites, having sorta-clear pass-thru patches so when the HLs are lit they illuminate the center star (with a mesh grille, that'd prolley spArkle too )
    &
    elsewhere talked about having the puddle-light in the wing mirrors project a Lincoln star on the ground (see Mustang)

Thanks

I'd be fine with:
    if the grille went to the headlites, having sorta-clear pass-thru patches so when the HLs are lit they illuminate the center star (with a mesh grille, that'd prolley spArkle too )
    &
    elsewhere talked about having the puddle-light in the wing mirrors project a Lincoln star on the ground (see Mustang)
    That would be cool.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast