Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Re: Fixed the new Lincoln MKZ grill

I love the grille! I love how when you look at it straight on it looks like wings.
    My sources from inside FoMoCo say to not expect it to change too much. It will get some production bits and be out soon.
    Hidden Content
    Present Ride: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXS: 80,000 Miles

Past Rides:
    2002 Buick Park Avenue: 224,600 Miles
    1996 Buick Riviera: 188,800 Miles
    1995 Pontiac Trans Sport: 210,000 Miles

Buick, The American Riviera.
    Updated: 12-6-2017

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC DriveOne.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Fords, a Lincoln + a Cadillac

I will take the original concept with the horizontal stripes, then the traditional waterfall grille as a 2nd. Less Camry and less Optima in those two designs than some of the others.

Is the MKZ Hybrid still set to get a different grille design than the standard? If I'm remembering right...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    imho the original "ribcage" doesn't befit a Luxury car either

(hope you don't mind these quickie chops from FiN, Wolfn, tried to post thumbnails but they would link...)
    here's a blackout

& a vertical slat transplant

& while I'm at it; hidden headlites
    I think the vertical grille elements fix the major problem I have with the front end design of the MKZ Concept; there are too many horizontal lines and elements in the front end design. Installing vertical grille elements (actually, they're slightly slanted) breaks up the monotony of all the "horizontal-ness" of the front end and provides some balance to the design.

I also agree that the grille openings are a little too fussy. I think the execution of the split wing grille was perfected on the 2013 MKS. The grille openings are elegantly shaped, the grille slats are nicely executed and detailed, and the headlights are the appropriate size in relation to the size of the grille and the overall car. I also like the fact that the hood cut line rests below the Lincoln logo.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

intended to try the lines curving BUT when doing the drawing, it REALLY started coming out so weird that I haven't bothered to finish it ...so
    just to get it out of my head
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

intended to try the lines curving BUT when doing the drawing, it REALLY started coming out so weird that I haven't bothered to finish it ...so
    It looks really cool with that mesh treatment.

2b2
    Thanks

THANKS, Cire
    tho still want to figure out a more patent-able Lincoln look

edit
    (key fiddler on the roof singing Tradition)
    grille swiped from a Mark 9 concept drawing
    Last edited by 2b2; 01-21-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

This grill looks more stately, luxury brand worthy for Lincoln than the one on the MKZ concept.
    The horizontal grill of the concept MKZ belongs on a Pontiac.

I will say though that this grill here on this chop may be compared to the one Jaguar uses on the XF & XJ models.

!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

Max Wolf said that when he got to Lincoln they told him not to change a thing about the new car but the front end. He said that the high-ups at Lincoln like the overall car, but wanted changes to the front (along with other minor tweaks) So he took the grille slats and turned them horizontal, added the varying thickness and some other tweaks. People were astonished when he turned the slats horizontal, and they loved it.
    The way he spoke about the change from vertical to horizontal makes me assume that they are all going to get the treatment whether we here at GMi like it or not.
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    -Max Wolf said that when he got to Lincoln they told him not to change a thing about the new car** but the front end.
    - He said that the high-ups at Lincoln like the overall car, but wanted changes to the front (along with other minor tweaks)
    - So he took the grille slats and turned them horizontal, added the varying thickness and some other tweaks. People were astonished when he turned the slats horizontal, and they loved it.
    - The way he spoke about the change from vertical to horizontal makes me assume that they are all going to get the treatment whether we here at GMi like it or not.
    • actually the 5 year old MKR** imho
    • this is sooo much like a gag-quote I made scary
    • a sophomoric solution imho (tho Max did DO some nice detailing on the "ribcage's" ribs)
    • the consistency is looong overdue ... and will be nice/ok - I guess

Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post
    ...I will say though that this grill here on this chop may be compared to the one Jaguar uses on the XF & XJ models.
    !!
    well, 'they' did say the Fusion & Z would resemble an Aston & a Jag...
    tho
    part of the reason I'd like 3 grille options (vertical, grid, & mesh) is to get away from dependence on a single style
    Last edited by 2b2; 01-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

• actually the 5 year old MKR** imho
    • this is sooo much like a gag-quote I made scary
    • a sophomoric solution imho (tho Max did DO some nice detailing on the "ribcage's" ribs)
    • the consistency is looong overdue ... and will be nice/ok - I guess

well, 'they' did say the Fusion & Z would resemble an Aston & a Jag...
    tho
    part of the reason I'd like 3 grille options (vertical, grid, & mesh) is to get away from dependence on a single style
    When I say people were astonished, I should have said, people inside of Lincoln.
    He spoke at the AutoWeek Design forum and took quite a bit more time than allotted to tell us about his experiences at Lincoln. He kept mentioning the vert. to horizontal switch.
    Not sure what you mean about the MKR...

I loved the MKZ concept, it looks very nice in person, and I can't imagine how great it would look in black. It shows me that at least Lincoln is trying now, and we can expect more than warmed over rebadges... except the Navigator which will be around for a bit longer.
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 AmericanRevolution's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 GTO QSM

I personally love the split wing Lincoln grill, be it this concept or on the MKS and MKR concept.
    Hidden Content

Current Rides:
    2005 QSM GTO with M6

My Succession of Cars:
    1997 Accord Special Edition > 2003 G35 Sedan > 2004 GTO 5.7 > 1991 Buick Park Avenue (debt free!) > 2006 Charger RT > 1995 Pontiac Grand Am V6 (debt free!) > QSM GTO

2b2
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 96RIV View Post
    When I say people were astonished, I should have said, people inside of Lincoln.
    He spoke at the AutoWeek Design forum and took quite a bit more time than allotted to tell us about his experiences at Lincoln. He kept mentioning the vert. to horizontal switch.
    Not sure what you mean about the MKR...

I loved the MKZ concept, it looks very nice in person, and I can't imagine how great it would look in black. It shows me that at least Lincoln is trying now, and we can expect more than warmed over rebadges... except the Navigator which will be around for a bit longer.
    I understood that you meant people-inside, 96RIV
    &
    THANKS for mentioning the AutoWeek Design forum - I'd love see a video of Mr. Wolff's segment if anyone has a youtube link (my antique puter doesn't do well with the AutoWeek Design site)
    OR...if you 'd like to go into greater detail!!

re: my MKR mention - imho the body of the Z concept is little more than an MKR.2
    & I still prefer the MKR.1
    (even tho THAT was more of a styling 'sampler' than a real car proposal iirc)

I'd love to see some non-NAIAS photos of the Z concept - the lighting there is terrible for the full-car chops I'd like to attempt ... actually in quite a few it looks black/near-black to me.

re: Lincoln trying
    it just seems to be taking forever to me for Lincoln to bring out their versions of Ford vehicles already on sale...Aviator, MKuGa, hopefully a C-car...
    I'm hoping once the Nano v6 is ready that the flood gates will start to open
    since the nat.asp version will be perfect for the little ones imho
    & an upto 350hp EB can go into EVERY Lincoln

Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Buick LaCrosse

I understood that you meant people-inside, 96RIV
    &
    THANKS for mentioning the AutoWeek Design forum - I'd love see a video of Mr. Wolff's segment if anyone has a youtube link (my antique puter doesn't do well with the AutoWeek Design site)
    OR...if you 'd like to go into greater detail!!

re: my MKR mention - imho the body of the Z concept is little more than an MKR.2
    & I still prefer the MKR.1
    (even tho THAT was more of a styling 'sampler' than a real car proposal iirc)

I'd love to see some non-NAIAS photos of the Z concept - the lighting there is terrible for the full-car chops I'd like to attempt ... actually in quite a few it looks black/near-black to me.
    He spoke about coming to Lincoln and them giving him the task of taking the styling from that attracts the current customer base (Old people) and turning it into something that attracts a younger customer base. Basically pull a Buick.
    He spoke a lot of the changes that are going on in the studio, those being that they are getting a completely new studio, with much better cooperation between different areas. He talked about his transition from Cadillac to Lincoln. Talked about the MKZ concept, etc. He spent a lot more time than he was given to speak, but it was a good presentation. Not as good as Clay Dean, but good none-the-less.

The lighting at NAIAS on the Lincoln stand was terrible. I was walking around with a designer friend of mine and he is also a teacher at CCS, and he was taking pictures of the MKZ as an example of bad lighting. And it really was bad, because they used multiple lights instead of ambient or one single light that wouldn't throw so many spots onto the car.
    Hidden Content

Past Rides:

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member BigAls87Z28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Astonishing people at Lincoln? Some how I don't think that would require doing a lot.
    My problem with going with horizontal grill is...how exactly will that be different than a Ford?
    Alexander Villani
    GMInsideNews Writer/Editor

Have some news?
    Email Me: Hidden Content
    Follow me on twitter: @AlexVGMI

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 CTS Luxury, 86 Vette

The original grill looks better than any of the alternatives shown here. The Fusion looks far better than the MKZ though. Therein lies the problem IMO.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information