EL-Camino teaserish thingy

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EL-Camino teaserish thingy

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

EL-Camino teaserish thingy

I'm thinking of rendering this, but rendering takes alot of effort so i want to make sure it's worth it.

here's the quick sketch:

what do you think? Is it good? bad? out of perspective? I want to know! And if you dont like it, but want to see more designs just say so! Also suggestions for a color would be appreciated, i'm thinking red.
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-05-2007 at 07:41 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Re: EL-Camino teaserish thingy

Perspective looks as good as I've seen on these types of drawings. I would suggest the line from the top of the front guard through bottom of door window to top of rear tray is a little low. I see you've already raised it but just on the rear tray. The line should carry reasonably from the top rear point of the rear guard through the door to the top point of the front guard. At the moment the line of the top of the rear tray looks like it's going downhill as it moves forward.

Everything else is fine. Color suggestion - Teal.

Thanks

Would like to see something with a little more detail.
    Old friends long gone
    Camaro '69 SS, '74, '79 Z-28, '81 Z-28, '88 IROC, '91 Z-28, '98 Z-28.
    Monte Carlo '74, '77, '81

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 61695
    Would like to see something with a little more detail.
    Hi 61695,

I think it has all the detail needed. It should render up fine.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 06-06-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks

haha that's pretty good! I never thought to use real glass, and i love the rims.

Here's how much i've done so far:

grill is out of perspective, and i dont think the far side should bulge that much, ill fix that. Otherwise it looks pretty crappy right? well they all do at this stage

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

So Mr Burns,

How do you render a pic? It looks like you are laying down solid color and then applying lighting effects. I've only just started to experiment at doing this but I use the digital spray gun and smudging and softening tools in conjunction with masking. I'll mask off say the lower panel section between the wheels and spray it grey, then I'll select a lighter color and a very low Opacity and spray back and forth across the top shading by hand as I go. I do the same at the bottom with a darker grey and that is how I get the 3D effect.

Then I'll mask off one wheel arch flair and paint it then hand spray over it in certain areas with white to get the reflective highlight look, then smudge it about a bit until it looks right and maybe soften it here and there to blend it in. What I do is very much like a cross between spray paint art and airbrushing.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 MonteCarloSS86's Avatar
    Thanks

That looks pretty snazzy man, I like it
    Hidden Content
    2001 BMW 325i

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MonaroSS

So Mr Burns,

How do you render a pic? It looks like you are laying down solid color and then applying lighting effects. I've only just started to experiment at doing this but I use the digital spray gun and smudging and softening tools in conjunction with masking. I'll mask off say the lower panel section between the wheels and spray it grey, then I'll select a lighter color and a very low Opacity and spray back and forth across the top shading by hand as I go. I do the same at the bottom with a darker grey and that is how I get the 3D effect.

Then I'll mask off one wheel arch flair and paint it then hand spray over it in certain areas with white to get the reflective highlight look, then smudge it about a bit until it looks right and maybe soften it here and there to blend it in. What I do is very much like a cross between spray paint art and airbrushing.

well the way i do it makes the car look like its in a more studio setting than the outside world. Do you use a mouse or a tablet?

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
    well the way i do it makes the car look like its in a more studio setting than the outside world. Do you use a mouse or a tablet?
    I use a mouse, by my cousin has a tablet he doesn’t use and said I can have. Do you mask out the shapes you want and then fill them with color, spray paint them or what, and how do you get such even shading and lighting? I use PaintShop Pro 7, which I'm not sure is the best software for doing this stuff.

Are you manually adding the lighting to each surface, or is there a software system whereby you place each surface in an xyz plane and then pic a lighting source point which auto illuminates it? My cousin has that on some very expensive 3D software.

Thanks

I use a mouse, by my cousin has a tablet he doesn’t use and said I can have. Do you mask out the shapes you want and then fill them with color, spray paint them or what, and how do you get such even shading and lighting? I use PaintShop Pro 7, which I'm not sure is the best software for doing this stuff.

Are you manually adding the lighting to each surface, or is there a software system whereby you place each surface in an xyz plane and then pic a lighting source point which auto illuminates it? My cousin has that on some very expensive 3D software.

Nope! I use Photoshop CS, I select the car using the path tool, fill it in with a color of my choice, then choose a light source (in my head), and proceed to lighten and darken appropriate areas (using the path tool to select).

There is no fancy light source maker, it's not 3D. It's just a more useful version of microsoft paint lol. You just paint the car. That's why it takes alot of practice and time, but the results are pretty cool.
    I use a mouse btw.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Nope! I use Photoshop CS, I select the car using the path tool, fill it in with a color of my choice, then choose a light source (in my head), and proceed to lighten and darken appropriate areas (using the path tool to select).

There is no fancy light source maker, it's not 3D. It's just a more useful version of microsoft paint lol. You just paint the car. That's why it takes a lot of practice and time, but the results are pretty cool.
    I use a mouse btw.
    I'll have to have a go at Photoshop, I think you can trial them online. I don't have a path tool but it sounds like my masking pointer which I use to draw a masked off area only into which a color goes or another tool works without disturbing things outside that area.

Anyway, I finished my rendering of your excellent looking El Camino design and I think it looks hot. I think I've stayed pretty faithful to your design. This is only my 2nd rendering. I think it would be good to have maybe a weekly comp for people wanting to improve their rendering skills like they have the weekly photochop pic comp. All we need is for people like yourself to keep up a supply of hot drawings to practice on. Thanks for posting this one. I'd like to practice on others if you have any you'd care to post.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 06-06-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks

wow that's really good! It's kicking mine's ass! but I think it needs a couple of sparkles here and there.

I have made alot of drawings, whenever you want you can render them for practice!

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

wow that's really good! It's kicking mine's ass! but I think it needs a couple of sparkles here and there.

I have made alot of drawings, whenever you want you can render them for practice!
    Thanks. That one was finished in primer grey. Here's one in red and a silver one. I haven't put any sunbursts on them as I usually do that after I paste a pic into a background and match to that.

Thanks

Thanks. That one was finished in primer grey. Here's one in red and a silver one. I haven't put any sunbursts on them as I usually do that after I paste a pic into a background and match to that.

nice! the red one almost looks hand made, with markers and everything! but the rims look odd in the red one.

meanwhile here's my progress:

If you dont mind, i'd love to use your headlights on my final version!
    Last edited by Mr. Burns; 06-06-2007 at 06:59 PM.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

nice! the red one almost looks hand made, with markers and everything! but the rims look odd in the red one.

If you dont mind, i'd love to use your headlights on my final version!
    Not a problem, I made them from a Holden Commodore headlight. I used the projector twice, the outside ones normal size then I copied them and increased them 120% for the inner ones.

I would like to be able to get my shading as even as yours. Practise should help. BTW if you want me to try any changes to your design i.e. a certain wheel you like or fog lights, hood scoops etc. Just ask.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information