Custom Aston-Martin

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Custom Aston-Martin

GMI Contributor
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,474 Posts

Custom Aston-Martin

I have always liked the original Aston-Martin V8, which began with the Aston DBS fitted with a Vantage Triple Webber 4.0 I6 325bhp engine and wire wheels in '67.

However, if I had lottery money to spend, this is what I'd do to one:

I'd have 2 1/2 inches chopped from the lower doors and sides cutting out the entire heavy existing floor - sort of a chop top in reverse making the body lower and thinner. And I'd have the aluminium body placed onto a custom lightweight alloy tubular space frame.

I got the idea from Leno when he converted his Toranado cutting out the floor and frame and putting the body on a modified Corvette tubular frame; dramatically lowering it's weight. But Jay didn’t raise the floor level, thus thinning the body.

At the same time I'd have the wheel arches opened up a little higher and the front wheel arch moved a few inches forward as well along with the new front suspension, effectively moving the engine rearward from the front axle-line. I'd also have the rear De-Dion rear axle and suspension replaced by a modern transaxle gearbox (like Corvette - but at this money probably a custom light throw dual clutch racing unit) to further push weight rearward. And to this new chassis I'd fit custom 17in titanium wire wheels, 8in in front and 12in in back. Now for the engine!!!

Instead of the 4.0 325hp I6 I would have it fitted with the Aston-Martin V8, which began life as a 5.0 V8. But now Aston will re-engineer that engine out from 6.4 to 7.3 with 450-600bhp. I'd be happy with the 7.0 V8 fuel injected engine with 550bhp, but I’d add Nitrous Oxide for a happy 800bhp burst of power on demand. Yes!!!!

I like the late model Aston-Martin's but this would be one cool ride.

You could buy a good donor car for say $50K but the custom work above, including new leather and show paint, would add $450K. But well worth it for a one-off ride. If you had lottery money. What do others think?

Last edited by MonaroSS; 01-07-2007 at 12:13 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Maxi Taxi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Custom Aston-Martin

Cool, I never really like the wired wheels but for some reason, they just work on this car
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Click the Sig.. IF YOU DARE

Thanks

Oh I have an unmeasured LOVE towards DBS! Love your wheel titanium wheel enlargement.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Here is the modified pic against the original, and also one for those who like a bit of color.

Last edited by MonaroSS; 01-06-2007 at 12:45 AM.

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

I've added this metallic charcoal grey with silver stripes version. What do people think of this color combo?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Maxi Taxi's Avatar
    Thanks

Ooo.. That looks pretty good..
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Click the Sig.. IF YOU DARE

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar LAChevy24's Avatar
    Thanks

i like most older aston martins, but this one looks gross

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LAChevy24
    i like most older aston martins, but this one looks gross
    Hi LACevy24,

Is it that you think this original DBS Model is gross, or what I've done with it?

Thanks

It's a nice idea, and I love the DBS but the lowered version isn't doing anything for me. The wire wheels are a bit big aswell, IMO.

I'd love a DBS in silver/red though. I've sat in one and wanted it ever since!

GMI Contributor
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomprice
    It's a nice idea, and I love the DBS but the lowered version isn't doing anything for me. The wire wheels are a bit big as well, IMO.

I'd love a DBS in silver/red though. I've sat in one and wanted it ever since!
    Hi tomprice,

Given the original wires were 15in, I only enlarged them by a factor of 1.14 bringing them to still only 17in. Compared to today’s 22in Bling wheels I think that’s rather conservative. And I left the outside tire size exactly as it was, so the overall wheel size stayed the same.

As to the lowering, by my calculations it was by only 2 1/2in. I think by today’s standards the original pic of the car sits way high. What I did was give the DBS the same stance as a current DB7 or DB9, which is what Aston-Martin would have done to the DBS if they made it today. Do you like the stance of the modern Astons?

I guess it comes down to whether you are a big wheel/small wheel or high set/lowered stance kind of guy. I like both, depending upon the car and its purpose.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information